10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2006 6:55 PM by Newsgroup_User

[F8} swf to swf communication prob

takennickname
      Thanks all.
      Ok, here's my prob... I have a main flash file, the level0 controlling timeline. I'm loading (loadMovie) my navigation swf into level1. This particular navigation loads 3d animation swf files into a mc symbol located at level0, and i also set the alpha of everything at level0 and level1 to 25% while the animation plays (a watermark effect). When the close movie button is clicked from the level1 swf it successfully unloads the animation swf from the mc symbol at level0, it resets the alpha of the navigation at level1 back to 100%, but REFUSES to reset the alpha of the symbol at level0 back to 100%. I've tried _root, _parent._parent, _level0, _alpha=100, _visible=1, and nothing works.

Why does it initially set the level0 mc to 25%, but doesn't seem to find it a second time to reset it back to 100% alpha?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Kalen
        • 1. Re: [F8} swf to swf communication prob
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          _level0._alpha=100; should work unless there's some object in _level0 that's also had its _alpha changed, in which case you need to also reset its _alpha to 100.
          • 2. Re: [F8} swf to swf communication prob
            Level 7
            "takennickname" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message news:ebkve6$9ju$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Thanks all.
            > Ok, here's my prob... I have a main flash file, the level0 controlling
            > timeline. I'm loading (loadMovie) my navigation swf into level1. This
            > particular navigation loads 3d animation swf files into a mc symbol located at
            > level0, and i also set the alpha of everything at level0 and level1 to 25%
            > while the animation plays (a watermark effect). When the close movie button is
            > clicked from the level1 swf it successfully unloads the animation swf from the
            > mc symbol at level0, it resets the alpha of the navigation at level1 back to
            > 100%, but REFUSES to reset the alpha of the symbol at level0 back to 100%. I've
            > tried _root, _parent._parent, _level0, _alpha=100, _visible=1, and nothing
            > works.
            >
            > Why does it initially set the level0 mc to 25%, but doesn't seem to find it a
            > second time to reset it back to 100% alpha?
            >
            > Thanks in advance for any help!
            >
            > -Kalen

If the path works then the parameter changes will work. Verify the paths..

// look at all the objects in _level0
            for(objects in _level0)
            {
            trace(objects);
            }

// look at all the objects in _root (probably the same ones)
            for(objects in _root)
            {
            trace(objects);
            }

tralfaz

• 3. Re: [F8} swf to swf communication prob
              takennickname Level 1
              Thanks for the replies...

Not changing _alpha to any other mc on level0,

Ran trace suggestion, and it shows expected mc instance names.

The prob is that it changes the _alpha of the mc at level0 from the level1 mc (so the path is right), but the same command from level1 won't change the alpha of the mc at level0 back to 100%, but it does change the alpha of itself (level1).

K.
              • 4. Re: [F8} swf to swf communication prob
                in what order to you decrease the _alpha of _level1 and the movieclip in _level1 and in what order do you increase it?
                • 5. Re: [F8} swf to swf communication prob
                  takennickname Level 1
                  First, i've just discovered that if i use _visibie in each swf it works, but _alpha doesn't... but below is my simple code....

Code at frame 1 of level0 swf:
                  stop();
                  loadMovie ("clips.swf", 1);

Code in animation load button in level1 swf:
                  on (press) {
                  loadMovie("cantu.swf", _level1.mcholder);
                  _level0.fullPanelMC._visible=0;
                  _level1.clips._alpha=25;
                  _level1.closerMC._visible=1;
                  }

Code in close button in level1 swf:
                  on (press) {
                  unloadMovie("_level1.mcholder");
                  _level0.fullPanelMC._visible=1;
                  _level1.clips._alpha=100;
                  _root.closerMC._visible=0;
                  }

The above code works... but when I use _alpha instead of _visible it only works the first time.

-K.
                  • 6. Re: [F8} swf to swf communication prob
                    first, you should be using loadMovieNum() to load clips.swf into _level1. 2nd, what part of that code works, what part doesn't work and "the first time" is the first time what happens? 3rd, does the movieclip clips have anything to do with clips.swf?
                    • 7. Re: [F8} swf to swf communication prob
                      takennickname Level 1
                      Thanks on loadMovieNum()... I'll use that from here out..

When the code worked (which I've changed to the _visible), the level1 nav clip would go to the set 25% _alpha and the _level0 mc would also go to 25%. But the close button on the main timeline of the level1 mc would only reset the level1 nav mc to 100% _alpha, and would not touch the level0 mc that had been reduced to 25% alpha also.

And the clips.swf is the level1 navigation, and it loads separate swfs into a mc inside of itself.

Thanks,

K.
                      • 8. Re: [F8} swf to swf communication prob
                        Level 7
                        "takennickname" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message news:ebldm2$nk9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Thanks on loadMovieNum()... I'll use that from here out..
                        >
                        > When the code worked (which I've changed to the _visible), the level1 nav clip
                        > would go to the set 25% _alpha and the _level0 mc would also go to 25%. But
                        > the close button on the main timeline of the level1 mc would only reset the
                        > level1 nav mc to 100% _alpha, and would not touch the level0 mc that had been
                        > reduced to 25% alpha also.
                        >
                        > And the clips.swf is the level1 navigation, and it loads separate swfs into a
                        > mc inside of itself.

It would save a whole lot of time if you would post a link to the website.

Do you have a movieclip with an instance name of "clips" ?
                        (not clips.swf)

_level1.clips._alpha=25;

tralfaz

• 9. Re: [F8} swf to swf communication prob
                          takennickname Level 1
                          Sorry, I'd have this online, but the only web server I can deploy on is the actual public server everyone will see (thank you public school sys in TX).

Yes, I have a clips mc name at level1 that is the animation navigation, and is from where I'm trying to control the main (controlling) timeline, which at first click reduces the level0 mc to 25% _alpha, but when the close button is clicked, only the level1 is affected, not the level0.

Here's my code at each respective point and swf level:

Code at frame 1 of level0 swf:
                          stop();
                          loadMovie ("clips.swf", 1);

Code in animation load button in level1 swf:
                          on (press) {
                          loadMovie("cantu.swf", _level1.mcholder);
                          _level0.fullPanelMC._visible=0;
                          _level1.clips._alpha=25;
                          _level1.closerMC._visible=1;
                          }

Code in close button in level1 swf:
                          on (press) {
                          unloadMovie("_level1.mcholder");
                          _level0.fullPanelMC._visible=1;
                          _level1.clips._alpha=100;
                          _root.closerMC._visible=0;
                          }

The above code works... but when I use _alpha instead of _visible it only works the first time.

Thanks everyone.

K.
                          • 10. Re: [F8} swf to swf communication prob
                            Level 7

"takennickname" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message news:eblsa6$8rm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            > Sorry, I'd have this online, but the only web server I can deploy on is the
                            > actual public server everyone will see (thank you public school sys in TX).

If you have a special folder for your test files, nobody should be able to see it or know that it is there. (if you have an
                            index.html file for your main folder)
                            Your movieclip structure is not clear to me. Too much guess work to do it this way.
                            tralfaz