22 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2011 3:44 PM by bbproducer

Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly

BillyBRoll Level 1

Okay,

I have tried everything. I am doing a 7 minute wedding fusion piece. Just movie clips and jpegs with some audio. So far Pr can't handle it. I've looked on this forum and posted here before. Nothing is working. At this point, the production looks like it was done on a cheap software program. Only the stills are stuttering in the movement. Without movement they look fine just sitting there. Playback on Pr shows the stutter but it is worse on any exports I do. MPE seems to be working fine.

Project:

Stills: JPEG Files. Image Size 1872x2808. Pixel Depth: 24. Aspect Ratio: 1.0

Movies: MPEG Files from Canon 7D. Image Size: 1920x1080. Pixel Depth: 32. Aspect Ratio: 1.0

Effects only on movies. Fast Color Correction and Brightness and Contrast. That's it.

Stills have motion. (Ken Burns effect) position and scale changes. That's it.

What I have tried:

Field Options. Always Deinterlace. - No Change

Flicker Removal - No Change

Effect Controls: Anti-flicker - No Change

Change image size of photos to bigger and smaller. - No Change.

Render with MPE off. -No Change.

System: (Brand New)

Mac Pro

Quad-Core Intel Xeon x 2 (8 Core)

2.4 GHZ

16BG RAM

3 WD 1TB HD in RAID 5 (All assets)

1 WD Raptor HD (OS and apps and project files)

1 TB G-Tech External Drive RAID 1 (Exports and back ups)

NVIDIA Quadro 4000 for Mac

OSX 10.6.6

• 1. Re: Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly
          BillyBRoll Level 1

I wonder if anyone else is having this problem. I am sure there are a lot of projects using movement on stills along with video. Is it working for you? And if so, how?

• 2. Re: Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly
            davidbeisner2010 Level 3

All I can say is that it works fine for me, and I do it just as you've described here... Only difference seems to be that I'm on a PC. Exports to DVD and H.264 for web have been stellar. Also exported to Blu-Ray and it looks beautiful there too. Sorry I can't be of any help!

• 3. Re: Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly
              wonderspark Level 1

Billy! We are running into each other a lot here! Soon, you'll have run out of problems to post about, and I'll never see you again, heh heh.

I kid. But it's my attempt to ease your frustration a bit.

I have animated stills in my huge feature film project, and they are perfect. I must say, however, that I did the animation in After Effects, not in Premiere. There is a switch that enables motion blur which I used, and in my case, this worked perfectly. I have two still images - one is the photo and the other is a "slide" frame around/layered on top of the photo, so it looks like one of those old slides - and they fly in from the edges of the frame and "fall onto" the screen, which is slowly panning in different directions. So actually, I have dozens of still images all moving around the screen, since the entire background is a still image moving around. The concept is designed to look like slide photos are being thrown onto the ground, and the camera is panning back and forth, up and down across the photos.

The Motion Blur switch looks like a grey bouncing ball going upward. Link to AE Help page:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906c6dea-7d5c a.html

Anyway, I would give this a try. Now, I realize that After Effects is very much a different animal than Premiere, and if you're not familiar with it, it can be tricky to figure out, but in my opinion, motion for stills is better handled in Ae than Pr. I do some animations in Pr, but usually find that work isn't as good as what I do in Ae. I also assume that you have the whole Production Suite, not just Premiere, and if you do, you will be much better off using all the tools at your disposal.

Let me know if I can help, and good luck!

• 4. Re: Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly
                BillyBRoll Level 1

I do have the whole suite, but do not know if I have time to work on this project in AE. I have to have it done tomorrow. I think it is a shame that Premiere cannot handle a simple motion on a still photo. iMovie can do it with no problem. Maybe you can help me to do this in AE. I would expect that I would want to take all of the motion off of the stills in Pr and then get it into AE somehow and animate the stills in AE  and then export??

• 5. Re: Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly
                  wonderspark Level 1

Leave your work in Premiere alone for now. Import the stills into AE, and drop them onto a new composition timeline. Set the timeline duration for the length of time you want the segment to last. You'll notice the image tracks all stack up on top of each other. To fade from one image to the next, you'll stairstep them with some overlap, and use keyframes to fade one in on top of the next.

Next, you'll adjust each image to animate as desired. Position, scale, opacity, rotation, etc. will all be done in keyframes, and the beauty is that you can use Easy Ease to make the movements more natural and fluid between keyframes, but that might be a little tougher to accomplish at first. If you have music you want to sync to the images, you can import the audio file into AE, drop it onto the timeline, and sync right in AE. To actually HEAR the audio, you have to use RAM Preview playback, not the normal play button. It's a multi-arrow looking button to the right of the playback buttons.

When it's all set up, go to Composition>Make Movie, and the Render window opens. Set all your export settings via the pulldowns, and export. I use Animation, which results in huge files, but they import into Pr just fine. Drop into your Pr timeline, and edit as normal...

It takes some practice, but I think once you try it, you'll use it more than you ever imagined.

• 6. Re: Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly
                    BillyBRoll Level 1

I will have to give that a try. Right now, I need to get this as done as I can. I think using AE will be good, but I am very disappointed that you can't do something simple like putting simple motion on stills in premiere. If it is going to look like crap, why do they have it as an option, and what about people that do not have AE. I can put a Ken Burns effect on stills in iMovie and it looks great. I know AE may really have it looking good, but this is not some difficult effect. I think you should be able to do it in Premiere. I do not know why you can't. Or, why I am having so many problems.

• 7. Re: Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly
                      wonderspark Level 1

I guess you could always do the stills in iMovie (instead of AE) and export it back into Premiere, if it looks good enough and you are that comfortable with iMovie. I've never used iMovie, so I have no idea what it's like. You're under pressure from the deadline, and that's why you're so frustrated, I think.

Finish up this project, so you can relax and get into After Effects with a fresh mind.

• 8. Re: Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly
                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Make it easy on yourself: simply copy your already animated images from your Premiere Pro sequence and paste into an After Effect composition, or (in AE) go to File > Import > Adobe Premiere Pro Project. You can select the specific sequence you want if you do the latter. This will preserve all the animation from Premiere so you don't have to redo anything. You might need to tweak a few things, but there's no need to reinvent the wheel.

I do not know why you can't. Or, why I am having so many problems.

You've brought this up in two or three threads now, and I've responded in at least two of them: this appears to be an issue with the latest nVidia drivers based on my testing. It does not happen on my laptop, which has ATI graphics, but it does on my workstation with a GTX480. It doesn't matter if hardware MPE is enabled or not--the latest drivers seem to be messing up redraw. I know you have a Quadro 4000, so those are a different set of drivers, but it may be worthwhile attempting to rollback to see if it fixes things (if you are indeed on the latest version). I'm doing that right now to confirm or disconfirm my theory. One thing I'm pretty sure of is that it does not carry through to any exports, but is present in the Program Monitor and any external monitor that you're driving off your video card.

• 9. Re: Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly
                          wonderspark Level 1

Hey, cool... I didn't know about importing Pr projects into AE. I think I must have seen that option, but never put two and two together. That's a neat feature!

Also, I have an ATI Radeon HD 5870, and used the stock 4870 prior to that, so that could be why I haven't had the issue you're having as well. I just know Colin is an amazing wizard.

• 10. Re: Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly
                            Colin Brougham Level 6

Forget the driver issue mentioned above; it's not the cause (at least it does not appear to be). I narrowed down the jumping issue in my sequence to an effect behaving badly.

At this point, I'm wondering what exactly you're seeing. I realize you're under a time crunch, so once things get wrapped up for you (hopefully AE fits the bill), perhaps posting a small sample project with a couple of the troublesome photos would assist in solving the riddle.

• 11. Re: Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly
                              Colin Brougham Level 6

I just know Colin is an amazing wizard.

Pay no attention to the crazy man behind the computer...

• 12. Re: Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly
                                BillyBRoll Level 1

Colin,

Thanks for the post. Sorry if I seem so frustrated. (Probably because I am). I spent a lot of money on my system. Researching it, coming here for great advice and then when I get off the ground, all kinds of export issues, talking with Adobe Technical Support (exercise in futility) and now this. I am glad to hear it is not the drivers of the graphics card. I cannot roll back, because the original drivers sent with the card was for OSX 10.6.5 and they did not work very well at all after 10.6.6. The newest drivers work great, that is if what I am experiencing is not the GPU. In any event. When I am done this project, I will try what has been suggested here and work in AE to see if that nails it. I was able to settle down the clips a bit by opening a new project and bringing in the rendered sequence into a new sequence and then rendering it again. It is a bit more smooth. But, could be better. I did some research with Final Cut and looks like the same thing can happen if you do not make the key frames smooth and to get a really smooth transition you have to use the motion plug in which looks like it might just be the same amount of work that would need to be done in AE. So, to get it to look good, this extra step may be what is needed.

When you say to bring into AE as is, should I take the motion off of the stills first, then bring in and put the motion in AE?

• 13. Re: Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly
                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Hey, cool... I didn't know about importing Pr projects into AE. I think I must have seen that option, but never put two and two together. That's a neat feature!

Be careful when using that feature. It's useful for some things, but the fidelity is far from perfect. To import a Premiere Pro project into After Effects, each element in the Premiere Pro world has to be converted to the closest approximation in the After Effects world. Often, this conversion isn't perfect; sometimes there's no conversion at all, and something just gets left out.

Here are instructions.

The code that is used for the conversion is the exact same code that is used when you copy from Premiere Pro to After Effects. Here is a set of reference tables about what is converted and how.

• 14. Re: Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly
                                    Colin Brougham Level 6

When you say to bring into AE as is, should I take the motion off of the stills first, then bring in and put the motion in AE?

Leave all your animation and keyframes in place. They will translate into AE keyframes so you don't need to redo your animation.

I get you're frustrated, and that's OK. Well... you know what I mean. I'm pretty confident there is a solution, so once things calm down a bit, let's circle the wagons and figure out what's going on.

• 15. Re: Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly
                                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Oh, and regarding this...

> talking with Adobe Technical Support (exercise in futility)

I'm part of Technical Support. In fact, I'm one of the people at the end of the escalation chain for Technical Support. Rather than calling the telephone technical support line, you could just start here, on this forum. It might save you some time.

• 16. Re: Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly
                                        Colin Brougham Level 6

Be careful when using that feature. It's useful for some things, but the fidelity is far from perfect.

True, true. But in the OP's case--that is, animating some photos--the media and the animation keyframes should transfer with few if any differences.

I certainly don't and wouldn't advocate moving the whole Premiere Pro project over--good catch on that, as I didn't mention it. If the OP keeps it to the photos, however, it will help keep him moving forward.

• 17. Re: Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly
                                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8
                                          > True, true. But in the OP's case--that is, animating some photos--the media and the animation keyframes should transfer with few if any differences.

Yep. I was just trying to head off future confusion based on an over-estimation of the feature.

• 18. Re: Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly
                                            Colin Brougham Level 6

..just trying to head off future confusion based on an over-estimation of the feature.

I cannot imagine how busy this keeps you

• 19. Re: Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly
                                              wonderspark Level 1

Thank you for the tips, Todd. I can only think of one time I might have had a good reason to use it, and that was when I started animating stills in Pr instead of AE a while ago. (Fairly ironic for this thread.) But instead I re-invented the wheel (as Colin would say) and started fresh in AE. I don't mind starting from scratch when I mess up, though, because I have always made vast improvements by doing it right or better the second time, after having already tried it once.

• 20. Re: Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly
                                                BillyBRoll Level 1

Todd,

I was going to PM you, but your mailbox is full.  I want to thank you for your support on the forum and do hope that my statements about support were not taken personally. But, I have to admit, speaking with tech support on the phone was a horrible experience. I called twice and both times not only could I not understand them very well, they could not understand me. Of course, I was very nice with them on the phone and gave them the benefit of the doubt, but when they started asking me to set up new users on my computer and do a project from there, I knew we were wasting time. To make matters worse, the person I was talking with promised to call me back after he looked into this and never did. The only reason that Final Cut was beginning to look better to me than Premiere is that the customer service with them is solid. You guys make some amazing products and are really getting the edge in the area of media production, but for me the consumer, customer support can be a strong selling point. I want to thank you for your diligence on the forums. It is great to have you here. I would just hope that somehow the customer service via phone could improve somehow.

Talk with you soon.

Bill

• 21. Re: Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly
                                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I want to thank you for your support on the forum and do hope that my statements about support were not taken personally.

Nope. I just wanted to make sure that the criticism was focused.

> But, I have to admit, speaking with tech support on the phone was a horrible experience. I called twice and both times not only could I not understand them very well, they could not understand me. Of course, I was very nice with them on the phone and gave them the benefit of the doubt, but when they started asking me to set up new users on my computer and do a project from there, I knew we were wasting time. To make matters worse, the person I was talking with promised to call me back after he looked into this and never did. The only reason that Final Cut was beginning to look better to me than Premiere is that the customer service with them is solid. You guys make some amazing products and are really getting the edge in the area of media production, but for me the consumer, customer support can be a strong selling point. I want to thank you for your diligence on the forums. It is great to have you here. I would just hope that somehow the customer service via phone could improve somehow.

If you wouldn't mind sending me your case number, I can at least make sure that the person who handled your case is given the appropriate information and coaching. My email address is kopriva (at) adobe (dot) com.

• 22. Re: Stills Are Still Not Still - Stuttering Badly
                                                    bbproducer

I found a simple solution to my problem (stills stuttering in Premiere Pro CS4). I removed all the effects on each picture (right click and choose 'REMOVE EFFECTS". It appears I also added a CAMERA VIEW effect and once I removed this particular effect and then just added in a newer pan or scale (Ken Burns Effect) the stuttering went totally away. FYI - any still image that I DID NOT have this CAMERA VIEW effect on worked perfectly fine in PP. Hope this hellps.