8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2011 2:28 PM by Andrew Yoole

The next Adobe production Cs6, which opengl. will use  2.0 or 3.0?

Monique 107

HI ALLBODY¡¡

First time, Sorry for my english, I know it´s not very good.

I wanna by a new notebook and at the end, after value the options, price, feature a soon on i haved to decided beetween this two notebook:

Which is the best option to work with postproduction and Motion Graphics?,And one have open gl 3.0 and another 2.0, and if the next adobe version have 3.0?

Thanks a lot

Acer Aspire 5943G-7744G64Bnss

CPUIntel Core i7 Intel Core i7
      CPU modelo CPU modeli7-740QM i7-740QM
      CPU clockrate CPU clockrate1,73 GHz 1,73GHz
      Mostrar Display15,6 " 15,6"
      Resolución Resolution1366x768 1366x768
      Tablet PC Tablet PCN No
      OS OSWindows 7 Home Premium (32 bits) Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit)
      HDD HDD640 GB 640 GB
      Velocidad de giro Spindle speed0 rpm 0 rpm
      SSD SSDN No
      Memoria Memory4096 MB 4096 MB
      Max. Max. la memoria memory16 384 MB 16384 MB
      GPU GPUATI Radeon HD 5850 ATI Radeon HD 5850, SUPPORT OPENGL 3.0, DIRECTX 11
      Dedicado RAM GPU Dedicated GPU RAM2048 Mb DDR3
      Puertos USB USB ports4 4
      puertos USB3 USB3 ports0 0
      Puertos FireWire FireWire ports0 0
      PC Card PC CardN No
      eSATA eSATA Yes
      ExpressCard ExpressCard Yes
      DVI DVIN No
      DVI con soporte HDCP DVI with HDCP support
      HDMI HDMI Yes
      S-Video S-Video? ?
      Bluetooth Bluetooth Yes
      WLAN WLAN? ?
      LAN LAN1000Base-T 1000Base-T
      Unidad óptica Optical driveBlu-ray Blu-ray
      Duración de la batería Battery life? ?
      Peso Weight3,3 kg 3,3 kg

Asus G51Jx

Processor & Cache MemoryIntel®  Core™ i7  Processor  620M/720QM Processor  :  2.66  GHz   -  1.6  GHz,   with turbo up to 3.33/2.8 GHz;
      I
      Operating SystemGenuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
      Genuine Windows® 7 Ultimate
      ChipsetMobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset
      Main MemoryDDR3 1066/1333 MHz up to 8GB (Intel® Core™ i7 platform) 
      Display15.6"  Full HD (1920x1080) LED backlight
      Video Graphics & MemoryNVIDIA®  GeForce® GTS 360M, with 1GB GDDR5    VRAM SUPPORT OPENGL 2.0, DIRECTX 10
      Hard Drive640GB ,5400rpm
      Optical DriveDVD Super Multi 
      Blu-Ray DVD Combo
      Card Reader8 in 1 card reader, SD,MMC,MS,MS-Pro,xD,Smart Media,mini SD w/ adapter,MS-Duo
      Video Camera2.0 Mega Pixel web camera
      Fax/Modem/LAN/WLANIntegrated 802.11 b/g/n  
      Built-in Bluetooth™ V2.1+EDR (optional) 
      LED Status IndicatorPower-on/Suspend
      Battery Charging/full/low
      Storage device access
      Wireless on status indicator
      Interface1 x Microphone-in jack
      2 x Headphone-out jack (1 with S/PDIF)
      1 x VGA port/Mini D-sub 15-pin for external monitor
      4 x USB 2.0 ports

1 x IEEE 1394 port
      1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
      1 x HDMI
      1 x E-SATA
      Hot Keys
      AudioCreative Audigy HD
      Altec Lansing® co-brand speakers
      KeyBoard19mm full size 88 Key with MS Windows function keys
      Numberic Keyboard
      Battery Pack & Life6  cells: 4800  mAh    
      9  cells: 7200  mAh    
      AC AdapterOutput: 19  V DC,  4.74  A,  120W
      Input:100~240  V AC,  50/60  Hz universal
      Dimension & Weight37.5 x 26.5 x 3.43-4.06 cm (W x D x H)
      3.30 kg, (with 6 cell battery)
      SecurityBIOS Booting / HDD User Password Protection and security lock
      Kensington lock hole
      Supplied AccessoriesOptical Mouse 
      Multimedia SoftwareASUSDVD 6-in-1
      WinDVD8 BD
      Virus & Tool Software
      ASUS Utility
      Warranty & e-support
        • 1. Re: The next Adobe production Cs6, which opengl. will use  2.0 or 3.0?
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Adobe haven't made any announcements about the next version of AE, so your question can't really be answered, unless someone from Adobe can offer inside info.

But, more importantly, OpenGL is not very important to After Effects users.  It is only beneficial in certain circumstances.  Many people just turn it off, because sometimes it can even slow After Effects down.

The most important features to look for, in order, are:

CPU Speed and/or cores

Amount of RAM

Hard drive speed

Display Card

So worry about the more important features before you worry about Display card capabilities.

• 2. Re: The next Adobe production Cs6, which opengl. will use  2.0 or 3.0?
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

Compared to the greater memory & storage capacity, greater processor speed, better graphics & capture card selection, plus far better all-around versatility of desktop machines, are you ABSOLUTELY SURE you want to limit your capabilities by getting a laptop?

It seems to me you could have a desktop machine for media work, and a cheap laptop just to carry with you.

On the topic of Adobe Creative Suite 6, here are some words of wisdom:  those who know don't tell, and those who tell don't know.

• 3. Re: The next Adobe production Cs6, which opengl. will use  2.0 or 3.0?
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

and if the next adobe version have 3.0?

It is reasonable to assume it won't. Even 3D programs still use OpenGL 2.0/2.1, since v3 and the proposed v4 mostly improve realtime features for games to compete with DirectX and otehr stuff for visualization of huge data sets in science, none of which is particularly relevant for AE. And as already mentioned, whether you actually would want to use OpenGL in AE is another question. It realyl doesn't add much.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: The next Adobe production Cs6, which opengl. will use  2.0 or 3.0?
                Monique 107 Level 1

Hi guys¡¡

The resason of by a laptop is because a travel very much. I know a desktop is better but I think a laptop will be handier. My fear is that if i buy the laptop with with the older graphic card which work with open gl. 2.0, don´t be obsolete when Adobe release Adobe CS6, and not be possible to install this suite,

although the  ASUS G51JX-IX026V WIN-7 CORE-I7-720QM/8/640/15 have 8 Gb RAM, and NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M TurboCache  with 1 GB GDDR5 DRAM, work with OPENGL. 2.1

If after a few time a can´t install the programs it´s not woth. That is why I´m considering buying the:

ACER AS 5943G-7744G64BNSS WIN-7 CORE-I7-740QM/4/640/15, 4 Gb RAM, and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Dedicated: 2048Mb GDDR3, support OPEN GL. 3.0.

As we can see in system requirements, now is necesary only open gl. 2.0 graphic card, but like I goona buy a new pc. now i would like work with the software more updated wtihin a short time, so here is the dilemma.

¡¡ Thanks a lot for your answers¡

• 5. Re: The next Adobe production Cs6, which opengl. will use  2.0 or 3.0?
                  Monique 107 Level 1

The resason of by a laptop is because a travel very much. I know a desktop

is better but I think a laptop will be handier. My fear is that if i buy the

laptop with with the older graphic card which work with open gl. 2.0, don´t

be obsolete when Adobe release Adobe CS6, and not be possible to install

this suite,

although the  ASUS G51JX-IX026V WIN-7 CORE-I7-720QM/8/640/15 have 8 Gb

RAM, and NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M TurboCache  with 1 GB GDDR5 DRAM, work with

OPENGL. 2.1

If after a few time a can´t install the programs it´s not woth. That is why

I´m considering buying the:

ACER AS 5943G-7744G64BNSS WIN-7 CORE-I7-740QM/4/640/15, 4 Gb RAM, and ATI

Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Dedicated: 2048Mb GDDR3, support OPEN GL. 3.0.

As we can see in system requirements, now is necesary only open gl. 2.0

graphic card,* but like I goona buy a new pc. now* i would like work with

the software more updated wtihin a short time, so here is the dilemma.

2011/1/27 Andrew Yoole <forums@adobe.com>

Adobe haven't made any announcements about the next version of AE, so your

question can't really be answered, unless someone from Adobe can offer

inside info.

>

But, more importantly, OpenGL is not very important to After Effects

users.  It is only beneficial in certain circumstances.  Many people just

turn it off, because sometimes it can even slow After Effects down.

>

The most important features to look for, in order, are:

>

CPU Speed and/or cores

Amount of RAM

Hard drive speed

Display Card

>

So worry about the more important features before you worry about Display

card capabilities.

>

• 6. Re: The next Adobe production Cs6, which opengl. will use  2.0 or 3.0?
                    Monique 107 Level 1

The resason of by a laptop is because a travel very much. I know a desktop is better but I think a laptop will be handier. My fear is that if i buy the laptop with with the older graphic card which work with open gl. 2.0, don´t be obsolete when Adobe release Adobe CS6, and not be possible to install this suite,

although the  ASUS G51JX-IX026V WIN-7 CORE-I7-720QM/8/640/15 have 8 Gb RAM, and NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M TurboCache  with 1 GB GDDR5 DRAM, work with OPENGL. 2.1

If after a few time a can´t install the programs it´s not woth. That is why I´m considering buying the:

ACER AS 5943G-7744G64BNSS WIN-7 CORE-I7-740QM/4/640/15, 4 Gb RAM, and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 Dedicated: 2048Mb GDDR3, support OPEN GL. 3.0.

As we can see in system requirements, now is necesary only open gl. 2.0 graphic card, but like I goona buy a new pc. now i would like work with the software more updated wtihin a short time, so here is the dilemma.

• 7. Re: The next Adobe production Cs6, which opengl. will use  2.0 or 3.0?
                      Dave LaRonde Level 6

I don't know why you're so concerned about using Open GL in AFter Effects.  It doesn't work very well; I consider it basically useless.

Unless you run other applications that benefit from Open GL, I wouldn't worry about it. 

And you need to know that NO ONE will say a single useful thing about Open GL 3 and Adobe CS6 right now.  If the people at Adobe know, they won't tell you.  If you hear rumors, they won't be reliable. 

You can't future-proof this new laptop of yours, so you might as well do what you can RIGHT NOW with the limited capabilities of a laptop.  Get the most cores you can.  Get the most storage you can.  Get the most memory you can.  That's the best you can do.

• 8. Re: The next Adobe production Cs6, which opengl. will use  2.0 or 3.0?
                        Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Of the machines you've listed, I'd buy the Asus, for the simple reason that it has a much higher resolution screen, which means more screen real estate - a must when working in After Effects.