10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2011 3:37 PM by the_wine_snob

Problem Rendering

Chattanooga321

I started a project a few months ago in another version of Elements, dusted it off last week, and finished it last night in Ele9.  It will not render.  The render box comes up for a couple seconds and then closes itself.  Any thoughts or ideas?  Thanks so much for the help.

• 1. Re: Problem Rendering
          the_wine_snob Level 9

There could be several reasons for this. First, when you say "render," do you mean the act of creating proxy files for smoothest playback, by Rendering the Timeline, with the Enter key, or do you mean to Export/Share the Timeline to an AV file? They are totally different operations, and I just want to make sure what we are talking about.

Now, starting a Project in one version, but finishing it in a later version, is often going to present problems. Sometimes, it works, and sometimes it does not.

Can you give us more details, such as the system, the Project Preset and the source footage? This ARTICLE will give you tips on what info would be so useful, plus how to gather some of that. Also, please tell us about things like Themes, Instant Movies and also any error messages.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Problem Rendering
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's also very common to have these types of problems when you open a project created with an older version of the program with a newer version of the program. That's why I very much recommend against doing so in my books.

• 3. Re: Problem Rendering
              Chattanooga321 Level 1

Thanks so much for your response.  Kids got sick over the weekend and I have yet to address this.  I will send you the helpful info later today.

Basically, I want to export it to an AVI file but it won't let me until I render the timeline.  I thought it was a memory issue and deleted a bunch of junk, but still no luck.

I'll get the information you require.  I SOOOOOO appreciate your help.

Matthew

• 4. Re: Problem Rendering
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Please let us know a bit more, and also that the kids are doing fine - they come first!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Problem Rendering
                  Chattanooga321 Level 1

Finally, so more info . . . I think.

I am trying to render the work area inorder to export it as a file.

Dell XPS M1530, Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 32 bit system, 220GB hard drive with 118 free, virtual memory of 3881MB.

My assets include mostly avi, and some jpeg, and wma files.

My timeline duration is 14:16:02

I am not sure what project presetsare or where to find them . . . sorry.

I have no themes or instant movies, and I have no errors coming up.

I click on "render work area" under "timeline," the window opens for rendering for about 1 second and then closes automatically.

Thanks so much in advance.

• 6. Re: Problem Rendering
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you post a screen-cap of the Timeline?

Has the WAB (Work Area Bar) been adjusted for the area, that you want to Render?

As for the Project settings, see Edit>Project Settings and look at what was set.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Problem Rendering
                      Chattanooga321 Level 1

I have tried to use the "print screen" key to get you a screen-cap, but I can't get it to work.

I believe the WAB has been selected appropriately.

Project setting:

General

-editing mode- DV NTSC

-timebase- 29.97 f/sec

Video

-frame size- 720 hor 480 vert

-Pixel Aspect- D1/DV NTSC (0.9091)

-Fields- lower field first

-Display- 30fps Drop-Frame Timecode

-Title Safe area - 20% hor 20% vert

-Action Safe Area- 10% hor 10% vert

Audio

-Sample rate- 48000Hz

-Display rate- Audio samples

Under Video Render, it says

Maximum bit rate is NOT checked

Preview

-file format- Microsoft avi DV NTSC

-Compressor- DV NTSC

Optimize stills IS checked

Apoligies for being such a neophyte, but I appreciate your help salvaging a project I've put a ton of hours into.

Thanks in advance.

Matthew

• 8. Re: Problem Rendering
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

There should not be a need to Render, prior to Export/Share. Rendering is used to create basically "proxy files," that are used to smoothly display the Timeline for playback. For many editing operations, one really will not need to Render the Timeline to see smooth playback, but other times, one might need to do that Render operation, especially with Keyframed animations, etc. When either the source footage does not match the Project Preset 100%, or when one has made changes, such as overlay Titles, Transitions, or Effects, a red line will appear above those Clips, or portions of those Clips. This indicates that for the smoothest possible playback, Rendering will be needed (hitting the Enter/Return key). Now, if one has either no colored lines, or a green line above the Clips, Rendering will not even take place, as it is not necessary. As the area of the Timeline, designated for either Render, or for Share/Export (in most output schemes), can be set by the WAB (Work Area Bar), if it is set for a portion of the Timeline, with no colored line, or green lines, Rendering will not take place.

To check whether the WAB is set to encompass the entire Timeline, hit the \ (Backslash key), to zoom to the full Timeline. Look at the WAB, and in the middle of it, there is a little square box, with tiny vertical bars (looks lkie knurling on a metal plate). Dbl-click that, to expand the WAB to the full Timeline.

As far as screen-caps, on some keyboards, and especially laptops, one needs to hold down the Ctrl modifier key, and then hit PrtSc. This ARTICLE will give you some additional tips on screen-caps, using Photoshop/PSElements.

If you are unable to Export/Share, without first Rendering, then something else is going on.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Problem Rendering
                          Chattanooga321 Level 1

I ended up using a friends older version of Elements to get my project "sharable."

Thanks so much for all your help!

A word to the wise: avoid using multiple versions of Elements to avoid headaches!

Matthew

• 10. Re: Problem Rendering
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Matthew,

Glad that you got things handled.

We recommend that one use the version of PrE that started the Project, to finish the Project.

Normally, there is fair forward compatibility with PrE Projects, but unless the Project is very simple, there are often issues. Some might go unnoticed, but some prove insurmountable. Backward compatibility has always been very close to zero - if not zero.

Good luck, and thanks for reporting your success,

Hunt