12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2011 6:19 PM by pbfp

Opening DNG as a Smart Object into Photoshop CS5?

pbfp

I am using a Windows 7 64 bit platform and CS5 64 bit.  I have the most recent Camera Raw plug in for my Nikon D3100 camera.  In Bridge you are supposed to be able to open a dng file in Camera Raw, make your corrections and then by holding the Shift key it should change the open file button to open it as a Smart Object.  When I do that nothing opens in in Photoshop.

Any suggestions?

P

• 1. Re: Opening DNG as a Smart Object into Photoshop CS5?
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

Camera Raw 6.x, the plug-in for Bridge and Photoshop CS5 decides what and when an image is opened as a Smart Object...what are you current Workflow Settings in Camera Raw 6.x set to?

• 2. Re: Opening DNG as a Smart Object into Photoshop CS5?
            pbfp Level 1

Well maybe that is my problem -- I don't even know what the workflow settings are or how to access them!  I am using Camera Raw 6.3.  Can you tell me how to access the workflow settings?

I just realized that if I click on some dng photos in Bridge and open them directly to Photoshop then they open in Camera Raw and can then be sent into Photoshop as smart objects.  The issue is if I try to open them just in the direct Camera Raw they don't get sent to Photoshop.  I thought that Camera Raw was a program that was a plug-in, not a stand alone program and that it should be compatible with Photoshop now matter how you got to it.  Am I wrong?

P

• 3. Re: Opening DNG as a Smart Object into Photoshop CS5?
              Jeff Schewe Level 5

pbfp wrote:

Can you tell me how to access the workflow settings?

Pretty simple (and the settings are sticky), open a raw image and in the center where the processing info is shown (lower center link) which acts both as an info readout AND a button to change the Workflow Options settings, click on this link...it'll give you a dlog to change the Workflow Settings.

Alter the settings and click Done (cancel doesn't work since it works as a Cancel).

Thereafter, unless you make changes, the Workflow Options should be sticky.

• 4. Re: Opening DNG as a Smart Object into Photoshop CS5?
                phyllisfperkins Level 1

Jeff Schewe wrote:

pbfp wrote:

Can you tell me how to access the workflow settings?

Pretty simple (and the settings are sticky), open a raw image and in the center where the processing info is shown (lower center link) which acts both as an info readout AND a button to change the Workflow Options settings, click on this link...it'll give you a dlog to change the Workflow Settings.

Alter the settings and click Done (cancel doesn't work since it works as a Cancel).

Thereafter, unless you make changes, the Workflow Options should be sticky.

Thank you Jeff for the information.

Please let me know if you think the worflow settings are wrong:  Here is how the workflow is currently set:  Space: Adobe RGB 1998; Depth: 16bits/channel;  Size 34072 x 4608 (14.2 MP); Resolution: 260 p/in.; Sharpen: None;  Amount: none;  The bix is checked to open in Photoshop as a Smart Object.

Now here is the thing.  If I am in Bridge and double click on a dng file or right click on a selection of files and choose Open in Photoshop, it opens a Camera Raw window for the file/s and then if I click on the open objects button, it does open them in Photoshop as smart objects.  The problem is that if I select, from the Bridge pop=up menu to open the selected file/s in Camera Raw, it is then that they do not get sent to Photoshop as smart objects.  Nothing happens, they just don't open in Photoshop.

I am also having a very hard time sending dng files from Lightroom into Photoshop.  So clearly there is something not "connected" properly.  Or maybe it is not clearly, but I am supposing that there might be some general issue.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

P

• 5. Re: Opening DNG as a Smart Object into Photoshop CS5?
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

phyllisfperkins wrote:

The problem is that if I select, from the Bridge pop=up menu to open the selected file/s in Camera Raw, it is then that they do not get sent to Photoshop as smart objects.  Nothing happens, they just don't open in Photoshop.

I guess I'm confused...if you select open in Camera Raw in Bridge, they will open in Camera Raw, right? From there you can set the Workflow Options and open as a Smart Object in Photoshop, right?

It's not clear what you are doing and what you are expecting...

• 6. Re: Opening DNG as a Smart Object into Photoshop CS5?
                    phyllisfperkins Level 1

Sorry if I'm not being clear, Jeff.  I'll try to explain the issue:  It seems that there are 3 ways to open a DNG file when you are in Bridge and you click on a photo:  Double click on the photo and it opens "Camera Raw".  When I do my corrections and then click on the open button it does open the photo in Photoshop either as a regular photo or as a smart photo if I have clicked on the open object button.  So far this is fine.  If I highlight a photo in Bridge and then right click on it, I get a menu which offers the option of opening in Photoshop and that too leads me to the "Camera Raw" window and from there I can open the dng as a smart object just as with the first option.  The third option is that in Bridge I highlight the dng photo, right click and choose "Open in Camera Raw".  If I choose this option, even with a modified workflow options, the photo will NOT open in Photoshop when I click on the open object button.

Of course it seems simple that I should just use options one or two -- after all, they do work.  But my concern is this -- why am I being given a choice of opening a dng file directly in Camera Raw and then it doesn't do what it is supposed to do?  And is this problem possibly related to my difficulty in sending a dng photo from Lightroom to Photoshop?

P

• 7. Re: Opening DNG as a Smart Object into Photoshop CS5?
                      Jeff Schewe Level 5

phyllisfperkins wrote:

Of course it seems simple that I should just use options one or two -- after all, they do work.  But my concern is this -- why am I being given a choice of opening a dng file directly in Camera Raw and then it doesn't do what it is supposed to do?  And is this problem possibly related to my difficulty in sending a dng photo from Lightroom to Photoshop?

Don't know...it works fine for me. I also don't know if it has any relationship to issues relating to Lightroom, but I tend to doubt that...I can't really give you any additional help except to say that the behavior you are seeing is incorrect. So, some basic troubleshooting is prolly in order. Part of that is to try to trash your Bridge prefs and see if that restores things. Otherwise you may need to look at an uninstall/reinstall (which would be the last choice).

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Opening DNG as a Smart Object into Photoshop CS5?
                        pbfp Level 1

Well, thanks for your time and effort.  At least I know that it is wrong.  Now just how to fix it.  I'm loath to have to un-install Bridge.  I will pursue the issue with the Lightroom problem and if they aren't related and I can get Lightroom so that it operates smoothly with Photoshop then I'll just use the work-around I detailed up above.

Thanks again for your help.

P

• 9. Re: Opening DNG as a Smart Object into Photoshop CS5?
                          Jeff Schewe Level 5

pbfp wrote:

Now just how to fix it.  I'm loath to have to un-install Bridge.

Try simply trashing the Bridge Preferences as a first attempt...with Bridge not running, double click on the Bridge app and hold down Control/Alt/Shift (I think that's it on Windows it's Command/Option/Shift on Mac). You should get a dialog asking if you want to Reset the settings...click yes. Note: after resetting the preferences, you'll need to re-change any of the preferences you had altered since the prefs got back to default.

• 10. Re: Opening DNG as a Smart Object into Photoshop CS5?
                            Ian Lyons MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Jeff,

A shorter version of the keystrokes for opening Bridge Reset Preference panel is to hold Alt/Option key down while launching Bridge.

Also, keystrokes to open image as Smart Object from CR without altering the workflow settings is Cmd+Shift+Open (Mac) or Ctrl+Shift+Open (Win) button (the button changes to Open Object)

• 11. Re: Opening DNG as a Smart Object into Photoshop CS5?
                              Jeff Schewe Level 5

Ian Lyons wrote:

A shorter version of the keystrokes for opening Bridge Reset Preference panel is to hold Alt/Option key down while launching Bridge.

Yeah, I keep forgetting that...

:~)

• 12. Re: Opening DNG as a Smart Object into Photoshop CS5?
                                pbfp Level 1

To both Ian and Jeff:

thanks for the ideas, but they didn't do anything.  Also in Windows, I only need to shift-click to open into Photoshop as a smart object, that is when I have chosen the open in Photoshop option from Bridge.  Adding the Control button doesn't seem to do anything additional.  When directly in Bridge, nothing seems to make it open a file into Photoshop.

I keep thinking that I read somewhere that Bridge operates two ways -- as a stand alone and from inside Adobe programs.  If that is true that might explain why it works properly when opening a dng file from Bridge into Photoshop -- Photoshop is directing Camera Raw to open and then send the photo back to it.  Could that be it?  Maybe that is why I'm having this problem, but I don't know enough about these things to figure out how to change the stand alone part.  Or am I just blathering?

P