12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2011 4:07 AM by dradeke

Desperate help needed! AVCHD / Sony HDR CX550 - massive files

Lenihh

Dear Friends,

I am new to premier pro and to my new sony camera the hdr cx550 and I am struggling to work out a few vital things that are making my life hell so please please please help!

1) Camera: I have to select a record mode (all files are AVCHD) my options are HD HQ (AVCHD 9M), HD FH (AVCHD 17M) or HD LP (AVCHD 5M). What's really frustrating is that's all it says, I have no indication of frame size or anything - apart from under the HD FH option where in brackets it says (1920x1080)!

2) So when it comes to choosing my project my sequence presets I am seriously screwed! There are so many options for AVCHD - could someone advise which 'record mode' to choose followed by what 'sequence preset' I should use with that record mode. I am at the end of my teather here!

3) Then comes the last most painful part of my recent traumas. At the moment I have been randomly selecting - just chosing whatever 'sequence preset' that happends to take my fancy at that moment!! But when I go to export the video I have massive problems! What I want to do is export a video to a HD qulaity suitable for youtube, so no need for the massive Frame sizes of 1080 etc recommended by the sequence presets. In the export window I cannot change the frame size! So I am left with an .avi file which always huge.....Well over a gig - and you can imagine my upload time! (3 hrs and more!) Currently I am just encoding the videos but the quality looks blooming rubbish!

So all I want to know really is what record mode i should use with what 'sequence preset' - and how to export to a smaller file size.

Thanks and I'd really really appreciate any help you can give me

• 1. Re: Desperate help needed! AVCHD / Sony HDR CX550 - massive files
          dradeke Adobe Employee
          1) Camera: I have to select a record mode (all files are AVCHD) my options are HD HQ (AVCHD 9M), HD FH (AVCHD 17M) or HD LP (AVCHD 5M). What's really frustrating is that's all it says, I have no indication of frame size or anything - apart from under the HD FH option where in brackets it says (1920x1080)!

I think you want the HD FX which should record at 24mbit/s and one of the 1080i AVCHD sequence presets since the tech specs say it records at 60i (30 fps) for the model you mentioned.

check out - http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId= 10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666073231#specifications

3) Then comes the last most painful part of my recent traumas. At the moment I have been randomly selecting - just chosing whatever 'sequence preset' that happends to take my fancy at that moment!! But when I go to export the video I have massive problems! What I want to do is export a video to a HD qulaity suitable for youtube, so no need for the massive Frame sizes of 1080 etc recommended by the sequence presets. In the export window I cannot change the frame size! So I am left with an .avi file which always huge.....Well over a gig - and you can imagine my upload time! (3 hrs and more!) Currently I am just encoding the videos but the quality looks blooming rubbish!

Have you used the YouTube preset yet?  You can find it by exporting your media, choosing H.264 as the format and picking a YouTube preset.  This has the advantage of proper file size and no need to transcode once it's uploaded.

Screen shot 2011-01-28 at 6.54.04 AM.png

I hope this helps,

Dennis

• 2. Re: Desperate help needed! AVCHD / Sony HDR CX550 - massive files
            Lenihh Level 1

Dennis : I will try it and let you know

Thank you so much - it makes sense what you said

• 4. Re: Desperate help needed! AVCHD / Sony HDR CX550 - massive files
              Bases Loaded

Sorry for the slow reply to this issue.

I have the exact same camera and it took me a while but I have found the proper setup..

The first thing I found out about files coming from this camera or most any other ACVHD camera was about bitrate (mbps) settings.  I used to set them too high for nothing

I was told from a reliable source that setting a bitrate any higher than 5mbps just created larger files but would not improve the quality at all..

I almost fell over because I was running at double that or more on export, resulting in three hour uploads to YouTube…  Sure enough they were correct..

I am not a video expert guy like some others on here but I have used this setup many, many times & it works like a charm    >Count on it ! Here is what works for best quality exports from your Sony cx550, for footage shot in FX or FH…

Should be just fine for any ACVHD camera up to 30fps Video setup:

Format: H264

Summary: 1280x720 / 29.97fps TV Standard NTSC

Frame rate: 29.97

Field order: None / Progressive

Pixel aspect ratio: Square pixels

Profile settings: High Level 4.1 VBr 1 pass (could be two if you wish) not a lot of difference for internet upload

Target mbps: 5.00 Max: 5.25

** clips shot at higher than 30fps, the bitrate should be raised a little / do not have the exact figure on hand at this moment.  Perhaps up to 8mbps, not sure. So this does not apply to the Sony cx550

Multiplexer settings:  Mp4

Stream Compatibility:  Standard

Audio: AAC / Stereo/ 44.1

Quality: High Bitrate 320 .. Could be lower if you wish, but I do a lot of music videos. Under advanced: Frequency is checked.

Here are a couple of YouTube Samples / again I'm  audio guy just getting into the video end of things.

Links below both shot with my Sony cx 550 and exported with the above settings.

Ths is not a music video so the small segment of audio at the beginning, was put in from a mp3 file , upsampled to 48k 32 bit, then down sampled to AAC 16 bit when exporting..  Not a goot thing to do.  :-)

Public service political stuff I do. >  :-)

If the link does not work / copy & paste

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anLSuUd0fQo

Music Videos Same artist as in the above clip, but recorded live / 24 bit 48khz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaXBhE-Zgo0

One more / done in Black & White because of poor lighting at that location. Shot in FH Mode.

Surely Not a quality video / more about the sound  / live free form stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4U46z9MYmI

• 5. Re: Desperate help needed! AVCHD / Sony HDR CX550 - massive files
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I was told from a reliable source that setting a bitrate any higher than 5mbps just created larger files but would not improve the quality at all..

I'd consider that a highly unreliable source, myself.  There can be an upper limit, above which more bits won't help much.  But 5 Mbps is very, very far from that ceiling.

• 6. Re: Desperate help needed! AVCHD / Sony HDR CX550 - massive files
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  Summary: 1280x720 / 29.97fps TV Standard NTSC

That is actually a very NON-standard format.  Standard frame rates for 720p are 60 or 24.  Neither Blu-ray nor broadcast have a 720p/30 specification.  As a general rule, you're best off avoiding such.

• 7. Re: Desperate help needed! AVCHD / Sony HDR CX550 - massive files
                    dradeke Adobe Employee

JSS1138 wrote:

I'd consider that a highly unreliable source, myself.  There can be an upper limit, above which more bits won't help much.  But 5 Mbps is very, very far from that ceiling.

I believe he's talking about your target delivery.  There is a big, BIG difference between data rates on SOURCE footage and your DELIVERY codec.  In the case of YouTube, 5mbit/s is in fact the upper limit (actually exceeds it), Vimeo is 5.  H264 is a temporally aware codec meaning it gets a lot more quality from the bits it gets.

Source footage or your originating codec is a very different story.  5megabits would be pretty low indeed for that - even H.264.

Dennis

• 9. Re: Desperate help needed! AVCHD / Sony HDR CX550 - massive files
                      Bases Loaded Level 1

The question was asked by a fellow Sony CX550 camera owner.

The answer came from a cx550 owner who has found from personal hands on experience the correct answer to his question.

The only difference he will see by setting bitrates for h264 uploads higher than what I have posted "will be much longer upload times"..

I some cases up to over two hours more, why waste all this time when the end visual result will be the same?

In this case, more is definately not better.

The proof is in the pudding, not the cook book.  :-)

As I have stated, I am not a video expert or pretend to be one.

But I do know the correct answer to the question posed, because I have been there and done that, wasting a lot of time in doing it the wrong way in the process.

I will soon have some questions coming about a new setup which I will appreciate answers from people with hands on experience.

I do not post often here but I have been around a long time and this forum has helped me a lot.

I prefer not to chime in on topics which I have had no personal hands on experience, plus I would sooner be working on projects.

Hope the person who posted this topic has tried what I suggest, am quite positive he will be happy with the end result.

Why have a 1.3 gb file when a 320mb file will look the same on YouTube.

I agree, seems redicilous, but it does.

• 10. Re: Desperate help needed! AVCHD / Sony HDR CX550 - massive files
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        Why have a 1.3 gb file when a 320mb file will look the same on YouTube.

For YouTube 0 mb is sufficient.

• 11. Re: Desperate help needed! AVCHD / Sony HDR CX550 - massive files
                          Kona Bob Level 2

I don't have any experience with YouTube, but for Vimeo and Exposure Room, your submitted file is re-encoded by them to their specs.

Consequently, you will get better final online quality of your video if you give them a large file to work with.

They usually recommend 6 mbs- that's why the Adobe Presets are typically in that range for datarate.

When they re-encode your 6 mbs file down to their parameters, your video stands a better chance of looking like the original.

If you give them a streaming level file (under 3 mbs), it's going to get watered down when they re-encode it.

This very likely applies to YouTube as well.

• 12. Re: Desperate help needed! AVCHD / Sony HDR CX550 - massive files
                            dradeke Adobe Employee

Kona Bob wrote:

I don't have any experience with YouTube, but for Vimeo and Exposure Room, your submitted file is re-encoded by them to their specs.

The Vimeo preset in Premiere Pro/AME was designed with Vimeo and does NOT need to be re-encoded to be utilized.  I would definitely start with the Vimeo preset if you're uploading there.

Dennis