2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2011 7:41 AM by Steve Grisetti

Running Very Low On System Memory

NotEnoughHours Level 1

I'm starting to get this very regularly...  even on really simply projects.  For example, the one I am working on is a 30 second spot with 6 still images (approx 1MB a piece, two 5 second movie clips, and 4 titles.  No other programs open, and my task manager shows only PE using any significant useage.  With 24GB RAM available, any ideas what can possibly be causing this?  Maybe if I can get to the bottom of this, all my issues will go away...

• 1. Re: Running Very Low On System Memory
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, take a look at this ARTICLE on providing complete information, to help us help you. This ARTICLE will give you a bit more background on the I/O sub-system, and its importance.

Then, take a look at this ARTICLE for getting your computer set up for an editing session.

Next, look over this ARTICLE for more discussion on Resources, especially regarding the Windows Virtual Memory.

As a checklist, these are the main things that also will probably need to be done:

• Download and install all OS updates, and hot-fixes, and not just the Critical Updates
          • Download and install the latest video card, and audio card drivers
          • Check that you have the latest version of Apple's QT Player installed - even if not editing Apple source files, like MOV, PrE relies heavily on QT Player

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Running Very Low On System Memory
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Those still photos are also likely slowing the machine something terrible.

Resize them to no larger than 1000x750 pixels, per the FAQs to the right of this forum, and you should see spunkier performance.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=0

Also, it will help tremendously if you render your timeline (by pressing Enter) every time there are red lines above your clips on your timeline.

Unfortunately, all that RAM isn't going to make much a difference because Premiere Elements is a 32-bit program -- so it will use at most 3 gigs of it.