4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 19, 2015 12:36 PM by joe dane

Can not install Adobe Reader X in Windows 7 Professional x64

OLLI_S.

Hello,

I downloaded the German version of Adobe Reader X (the 36 MB installer file).

I have Windows 7 Professional x64 and I am the administrator.

When I double click the AdbeRdr1000_de_DE.exe file to install the Adobe Reader, I get the following error messaage shown:

Der Pfad Eigene Bilder oder der Datenträger ist ungültig. Wiederholen SIe die Eingabe.

If you translate the message into English language this would be:

The path My Pictures or the volume is invalid. Repeat your entry.

I also get this error message when I right click the file and select "Run as Administrator".

Also when I install it with an other windows user.

What to do to install the Adobe Reader X?

Greetings

OLLI

• 1. Re: Can not install Adobe Reader X in Windows 7 Professional x64
          lnayal Adobe Employee

Could you please check if My Pictures folder is not redirected to somewhere?

• 2. Re: Can not install Adobe Reader X in Windows 7 Professional x64
            OLLI_S. Level 1

Hello,

yes, "My Pictures" is redirectected to "D:\My Pictures".

I hav a German Windows 7 so the folder is called here "Eigene Bilder".

But I also tested it with an new windows user that has NOT redirected the folder.

Same error message.

Greetings

OLLI

• 3. Re: Can not install Adobe Reader X in Windows 7 Professional x64
              lnayal Adobe Employee

When you redirect a folder for a user generally it creates registry entry in HKCU but as you reported may be on your machine registry in HKLM is created.

Check once if you have and folder redirected for that user or any network drive is mapped or you have in your PC

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ User  Shell Folders registry key some other than expected value.

• 4. Re: Can not install Adobe Reader X in Windows 7 Professional x64
                joe dane

I have multiple problems with Windows 7 Professional x64 & the Adobe products installed on my machine (English).

I have a dual processor Intel Duo Core2 -  Dell Lattitude E6400XFR,  running Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1(English).

Adobe, & Adobe Reader are installed properly & function okay for the most part, save for the very newest & fanciest of documents. Mainly, the issue I have is that Adobe/Reader are constantly attempting to update, & are able to download a version recognized as newer than the current version installed, then will not install completely or at all. Once that occurs it will then immediately demand to be updated by this newer version. It's a crappy loop that I have become familiar with & is lame.

Either Adobe & Adobe Reader are problematic with Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ENGLISH, or this dual processor Intel motherboard is the problem. The latter doesn't seem likely however, I have identified multiple problems with drivers & whatnot that do not function well or properly solely due to the motherboard. My Nvidia On Board GPU & the drivers & software would be the prime & most annoying example of something that hates my motherboard.

I hope this isn't "Hijacking" your post, I am having a problem that sounds similar to yours, the international/localization issue(s) notwithstanding.

~Joe Dane