6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2011 12:22 PM by typpeo

Problems with h.264 bitrates in AE CS5

typpeo Level 1

Hi All,

We just started upgrading to CS5 from CS4 and I ran some test that are causing some issues. We normally create final products using the h.264 codec, when I ran a test no matter what I change the bitrate to it's rendering out to around 200kbps for the video and the audio is correct at 128.

Below the settings I'm using, I've adjusted them to increase the bitrate and changed the profile to high but I'm always getting the same results.

Profile: Main

Level: 3.1

CBR .45 (450 kbps)

Keyframe Distance set: 55 Frames

Audio

ACC

High Quality

128 kbps

Bitrate

Any help would me much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Problems with h.264 bitrates in AE CS5
          typpeo Level 1

PS, a similar issus is happening on a co-workers machine.  They are both Macs, we haven't tested PCs yet.  The resolution is currently 940x529.

• 2. Re: Problems with h.264 bitrates in AE CS5
            typpeo Level 1

Sorry to bump but doesn anyone have any suggestions? It's happen on PCs and Macs and seems to be a issue when dealing with screen captured video no matter what the codec or wrapper is.

• 3. Re: Problems with h.264 bitrates in AE CS5
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

typpeo wrote:

Sorry to bump but doesn anyone have any suggestions?

Yeah, but you won't like it: don't use AE to render H.264 files.

My reason for saying this comes from a standard response I make on the Creative Cow:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc.  AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

• 4. Re: Problems with h.264 bitrates in AE CS5
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Try this:

Switch to VBR, set the target bit rate to the same .45 that you want for the CBR encoding, then reset to CBR.

It could be a manifestation of the same bug that currently haunts Pr and the AME.

-Jeff

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Problems with h.264 bitrates in AE CS5
                  yenaphe Level 4

You can also fire-up Adobe Media encoder and import your comp to be rendered directly in it; Plus, you'll get 2 pass vbr encoding

• 6. Re: Problems with h.264 bitrates in AE CS5
                    typpeo Level 1

Jeff,

This was the most helpful bit of info I have been able to find. The bitrate does change when doing this on a windows machine. Haven't been able to get it to work on OSX. The problem is the quality is crappy, I'll keep messing around. On doing more test I found that f4v doesn't work as VBR but will when doing CBR.

Thanks for the comment Sébastien, I think we have tried AME with no success it looks like the issues affects that program as well. Upgrading adobe products has always been a pain, I dreed doing this every year and a half.