3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2011 12:11 AM by Lilybiri

HELP: Text entry boxes not being captured

MJT1984

Hi All,

I'm trying to record a custom project where I have captions, text entry boxes and failure captions. Everything seems to work fine except the text entry boxes. It doesn't capture the fact that it's a text entry box. I checked and re-checked my preferences, still nothing happens. I tested it in another computer, in another software, on Word and Google, and it does not capture them.

I cannot create the text entry boxes manually because the application I'm training on has way too many.

Help!

Thanks!

MJT

• 1. Re: HELP: Text entry boxes not being captured
          Lilybiri MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Hello,

Please, which version of Captivate do you use?

Could you tell which mode of capture you use: Demonstration, Training or Assessment? I suspect you want to have typing in text during capturing be transformed to Text Entry Boxes? This works only in Training/Assessment mode, check the Preferences, Recording, Modes (see screenshot, this is for Training mode). FYI: this transformation works fine in Captivate 5 but I had problems with it in Captivate 4 before where it was not always done.

CaptureTEB.jpg

Be sure to type in text in the text fields while capturing. It will be replaced by a Text Entry Box with an associated variable and validation.

Lilybiri

• 2. Re: HELP: Text entry boxes not being captured
            MJT1984 Level 1

Hi Lylibiri,

Sorry for the lack of information. I'm using Captivate 5 and I have tried the Assessment, Training and custom recording modes without any consistent success. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

First I created a Custom template where I checked the Text Entry Box checkbox, including the Failure Captions and Limited Attemps checkboxes. I tried to record off of that template and it didn't work. Then I opened a new project, created my preferences again (using Assessment this time), recorded, and it didn't capture it.

I just opened a new project, clicked record, recorded in the Assessment mode and only changed the preferences to include text captions and highlight boxes, and it worked. I don't get it!

Thanks!

Marjorie

• 3. Re: HELP: Text entry boxes not being captured
              Lilybiri MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Hello,

As usual difficult to find the cause. Up till now I did not have issues with this conversion of typing text to TEB's in Training/Assessment mode, and then it is not easy to look for an answer. I'll start with the usual questions: do you start Captivate as an administrator? Did you install the patch released in December (I never heard from another user about this issue however). And what do you get if it is not working: do you have a Typing object instead of a TEB as would be the case if you were capturing in Demonstration mode?

Lilybiri