5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2011 11:56 AM by heylawn

InDesign 2.0 doesn't launch, but Automator does--???

heylawn Level 1

I know you must be thinking... InDesign CS2, but actually I am still using InDesign 2. Some files are just not built in anything too new that we receive.

The issue is, when I have lately tried to launch ID2, Automator window comes up instead. I have no idea how to get out of the Automator mode to simply open ID2. I have ID2, IDCS and IDCS2 on one machine. Platform is Mac 10.4.11 (Tiger). The other versions seem to launch normally...

Has anybody got a suggestion?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: InDesign 2.0 doesn't launch, but Automator does--???
          Muppet Mark-QAl63s Level 4

You may be better off asking this in the ID general forum where it will reach a wider audience… You say your on a mac so have you done a "comm+i" on an ID CS2 file and set the "open with:" drop down the correct app? and apply/change all… If this fails to work then you may have to trash and remake your "launch services" pref's file. This should be located in your user preferences "com.apple.LaunchServices.plist"

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: InDesign 2.0 doesn't launch, but Automator does--???
            Harbs. Level 6

Have you used 2.0 on this machine before? I have not tried to launch 2.0 in years, and I would not be surprised if it does not work on 10.4. I was created when OS 9 was still around...

Harbs

• 3. Re: InDesign 2.0 doesn't launch, but Automator does--???
              heylawn Level 1

Muppet Mark wrote:

You may be better off asking this in the ID general forum where it will reach a wider audience… You say your on a mac so have you done a "comm+i" on an ID CS2 file and set the "open with:" drop down the correct app? and apply/change all… If this fails to work then you may have to trash and remake your "launch services" pref's file. This should be located in your user preferences "com.apple.LaunchServices.plist"

Muppet Mark:

I can't check the get info command right now (Mac's at workplace).. but thank you for your suggestions. It might be that simple.

• 4. Re: InDesign 2.0 doesn't launch, but Automator does--???
                heylawn Level 1

Harbs. wrote:

Have you used 2.0 on this machine before? I have not tried to launch 2.0 in years, and I would not be surprised if it does not work on 10.4. I was created when OS 9 was still around...

Harbs

To Harbs:

I have actually used ID 2.0, but that has been months ago. Something has changed, but I'm not sure what exactly. With both yours and Muppet Mark's suggestions, I will try some more trouble shooting. Thanks.

• 5. Re: InDesign 2.0 doesn't launch, but Automator does--???
                  heylawn Level 1

Harbs. wrote:

Harbs

Harbs, you have hit the nail on the head. I sheepishly admit my mistaken memory of having run InD 2 on current machine, but we have had musical Macs (remember musical chairs?) and the last swap I don't think I migrated my apps with that knowledge in mind. It definitely is not compatible with OS Tiger. It would not let me re-associate program at all and I see Adobe compatibility is only for up to Jaguar...

Sorry for the time-waster, I should have double checked all the obvious first steps before starting this thread...