3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2011 11:42 AM by Colin Brougham

Collaborative offline editing

ExactImage Level 3

We've been using FCP for a long time, having multiple editors working offline on the same project collaboratively, bringing the various parts and pieces together in to one master project at the end.    An example would be one editor working on the first 1/3 of a project, another on the middle 1/3 and another on the last 1/3.

Historically we've created a base project with all the source material added to it, then distributed this entire project (complete with source material) to the offline editors over the network or via HDDs.  In every case, each editor has their own copy of the source material, but maintains the same file/folder structure so that projects can be easily merged again later. 

When the 'majority' of the editing has been done we bring all the sequences back in to a single project (within FCP) and tie them all together, i.e. we leave the links as very rough cuts and do the final cutting of the links in the final master project.

So, assuming we are going to dump FCP and go all Premiere Pro CS5, what would be the best workflow to achieve this type of offline collaborative work?  

What is the best way to bring it all back together again?   Is project import with sequence selection the best way, or did I miss something better?

• 1. Re: Collaborative offline editing
          Colin Brougham Level 6

So, assuming we are going to dump FCP and go all Premiere Pro CS5, what would be the best workflow to achieve this type of offline collaborative work?  

What is the best way to bring it all back together again?   Is project import with sequence selection the best way, or did I miss something better?

I think the workflow you're already using and accustomed to with FCP will work perfectly well with PPro. I use pretty much the same workflow, and have no real problems doing so.

So long as you maintain the same folder structure and file placement, relinking the files will be a breeze, especially if all of the media was originally imported or captured into the original project. Just import each of the "child" projects into the new master project (or the original parent project); if each child has its own sequences, you can import the whole thing, or you can cherrypick the sequences you need. Fortunately, as of CS5, Premiere no longer imports duplicates of media if it already exists in a project when you import another project. This will make clip management much easier.

The only possible issue would be if you were working on two different platforms--Windows and Mac. Obviously, with FCP, this isn't an issue as you don't have a choice of platform, but with PPro, you do. You didn't mention the platform(s) you'll be using, but that's a consideration. The biggest issue there is that the two platforms store file paths differently, so automatic relinking because a little less automatic. Just something to keep in mind...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Collaborative offline editing
            ExactImage Level 3

One of the offline editors does want to use Windows 7, so I guess we need to check the path issues before going too much further.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Collaborative offline editing
              Colin Brougham Level 6

It's really not a big deal. So long as you maintain the same relative folder structure, once you relink one file after you move the project to a different OS, the remainder will (should) automatically relink.

So let's say your top level folder is called "MEDIA" and in it you have folders like "SCENE1," "SCENE2," and so on. You edit your 1/3 of the project on the Mac system with this folder structure. When you move the project to the Windows system, you'll be asked where Clip XYZ is; navigate into the SCENE# folder that contains that file, and Premiere will scan through the relative folder structure and relink everything else it is looking for.