3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2011 5:56 PM by wonderspark

Advice on video format and editing in HD

EricCJunk

Hi All!

I was hoping to get some advice on how best to edit/out put a video I’m working on. I know this is a lengthy post, but I wanted to give all the info and would be very appreciative for any help.  I am trying to make a video that looks its best on an HDTV and thus was hoping to have a final render in an HD format. I’m trying to avoid the artifacts that show up when dealing with SD, and still getting the best quality I can.  I’ve been editing in SD for a years, but am now trying to understand the difference in HD editing, codecs, frame rates, and aspect ratio.  It’s all very confusing to me, but I know that’s what controls how your final video will look. The programs I am working with are After Effects, and Premiere Pro CS5, but I also have Pinnacle Studio 14.  I have a computer which can handle these programs/files so that’s not an issue.

Currently my project is set up as follows:

I am working is Premiere Pro CS5 for the main editing and final output.  My project settings are AVCHD 1080p square pixel 29.97fps (widescreen).  I have several 1920X1080, H264, 29.97fps files that I am working with in the project aside from what I am making in After Effects that also needs to be incorporated to this project.

In After Effects Im working with a template that can be “HDV/HDTV 720. 29.97” or “HDTV 1080 29.97” (both widescreen).  The template will hold other SD videos which are not widescreen.  I don’t need to worry about the audio, as the final video will only have a music track playing.  The SD videos are in the following formats:

720X480, DV, 29.97fps

1280X720, H264, 30fps

629X480, MJPEG, 30.03fps

So my questions are how should I handle this process? 

1.       I need the SD videos to be stretched to widescreen.  I am thinking about using an UPREZ plugin for them instead of just stretching them to fill the frame.  I’m just not sure if I should do it prior to importing them to AE, or have AE do it.  Then once its done, if I should render it out as a file for Premier or just do the dynamic link into Premier.

2.       Or should I just take all the SD videos above and save them to one HD size format before working with them in AE and premiere.  I assume if I did I should make it the same format/codec as the other files in the project (1920X1080, H264, 29.97fps)?

3.       What are the project settings (for the workspace) I should use in Premier Pro when working with mainly 1920X1080, H264, 29.97fps files?  Is that the same project settings I should use for the After Effects part?  And final what is my best output format option for just watching on HDTV?

I know I have asked a lot of questions, and none will have a simple answer.  Yet, if you could point me in the right direction or give me any advice at all id truly appreciate it.  It seems like this is a workflow issue, I feel like I need to just stick one recording format and editing format in the future so I don’t have these problems.  It’s just that so many of my old video files are in several different formats.  I have read so much on here and other sites but it’s all so confusing.  I wish there was a dummies book on how to work with different video files… b/c I am a dummy when it comes to trying to understand this.  On that same point, if you do have any advice for me please be as descriptive as possible.  Thanks again, and when it’s all finished I’d be happy to share the final result with you all if you’re interested.

Best-

moxy

NOTE:  I also posted this in the After Effects forum in case the solution is different for each program.  I will update this post if a solution is found there instead.  LINK:  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/784462

• 1. Re: Advice on video format and editing in HD
          wonderspark Level 1

"I am trying to make a video that looks its best on an HDTV and thus was hoping to have a final render in an HD format. I’m trying to avoid the artifacts that show up when dealing with SD, and still getting the best quality I can."

I hope you are realistic about what up-scaled SD footage is going to look like on an HDTV. It will not look like the 1920x1080 footage, unless you degrade the HD footage.

• 2. Re: Advice on video format and editing in HD
            EricCJunk Level 1

Yes, Im aware it wont look HD at all.  The video will have a grunge look, and the SD part I want to look like old footage..plus its under a buch of HD effects in a template so Im not that woried.  I would however not like it to be extremly grainy/blurry with artifacts thats is not viewable at all.

My main problem seems to be I dont understand the best way to set up the work spaces based on the videos I have to work with, and then what is the best ouput format to pick.  I know i can render it out in several different formats, but id just like to do it once in the best HD format.  This way if in the future I need to compress it (for web or dvd) it wont be so bad.

• 3. Re: Advice on video format and editing in HD
              wonderspark Level 1

I understand. I once had to mix a bunch of different resolution footage in a single project. In my case, it was acceptable.

I would try setting up the project based on the highest resolution stuff, and use effects and such on the SD footage in an effort to minimize the "damage." If you can't get acceptable results that way, you might be stuck with creating the project in SD, and just rely on the HDTV upscale system to make it prettier.

Maybe someone else on the forums knows a special trick to upscaling footage that I'm not aware of. One can hope!