1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 31, 2011 11:55 AM by _durin_

Crash when Setting Pan

cjjb86

Hi There

Recently when I was working on Audition Version 4 Build 10 and using 3 tracks in the multitrack and no plugins my system completely froze. I had just set the second track to pan left and the third to pan right. After doing that and replaying my system totally froze. I was unable to move the cursor at all and keyboard commands were unfunctional. I had to reboot using the power switch. After rebooting and restarting Audition it did recover some of the files but certain files that had been edited in the Waveform view prior to adding to the multitracker were present but blank. The source files were fine.I had no plugins acting on any of the tracks. The session was around 8 seconds in length.

System Details :

Mac OS X 10.6.5

2.13 Ghz Intel Core 2

4 GB DDR2 800 Mhz SDRam

Approx 50GB Hard disk spac remaining from a 160GB drive.

Temp disk was set to a USB 500GB drive with approx 100GB remaining.

Other processes running were Firefox (5 Tabs), Mail, Openoffice and Calc.

No detailed error report is available as the error report box didn't show when the system crashed.

Hope this helps.

Chris

• 1. Re: Crash when Setting Pan
          _durin_ Adobe Employee

Usually, when something goes so wrong that it causes the entire computer to freeze up, the problem tends to be related to a bug or incompatibility with a piece of hardware or a device driver. If you were using the built-in audio device, it's very likely to have been a rare glitch of "perfect storm" events.  This would also explain why some of the temp/recovered files were incomplete or blank since they would not have had an opportunity to be closed by the operating system which WOULD happen if only the application had crashed.

Unfortunately, these can be extremely difficult to troubleshoot, if not reproduce.  I'd suggest that if this happens again, please let us know ASAP and we can explore further.  Otherwise, from your description it sounds like one of those rare events that still happen every once in awhile.  I hope you were able to rebuild your project without too much trouble.