23 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2011 10:25 AM by Harm Millaard

Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files

KCWY_News_13

We built two news editors about 6 months ago and needed to build both computers for $1200.  These were replacing two old Avid Newscutter XP systems from 2004...

Because we were shooting DVCAM on DSR-250 camera's or to .mov/.avi DV files on nNovia QC Decks on the camera's, the files were basic DV 25Mbps content in SD.

Based on the System Requirements of Adobe for Premiere CS5, I didn't feel I needed to build these as top end machines at the time.

They are as follows:

MSI Motherboard 77T-C45  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130270

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition 3.2 GHz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103846

Seagate Barracuda 80GB C: Boot Drive, Page File  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148231

Reused 1 TB Samsug 7200 rpm SATA Scratch drive from Avid system.  E:\  Projects, raw files, Media cache files

Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x2GB) Dual Channel http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184

PNY nVidia Quadro FX 380 256 MB 128-bit GDDR3  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133274

Corsair 400W Power supply  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

Looking back at it now, and after reading a lot of posts, these systems are on the low end.  Guess that is how Adobe gets more people to buy software, make it look like it will run on what you have, after you shell out the cash on the program you realize you have to upgrade hardware too..

The systems have been working great for the SD footage we needed them for.  We are not going HD anytime soon as our entire studio, routers, switcher, CG, playout system, studio camera's and pretty much everything else would need updating. So I wanted editors that were more user friendly and would handle what we were working with and that is what I got.  Figured in 3-5 years when HD comes along for us it will be time for entire new system on CS7 with 30 cores, 1 TB of memory and such... (More's Law)...

So new twist to the issue.  We were having a lot of issues with camera's dying the last few months.  It was getting hard to keep the DSR-250s working and even though I can buy them for $1000-$1500 used off of e-bay and they are in way better shape than ours, they were big, bulky and our reporters "one man band" it a lot and two of the young women are just shy of 5 foot.  You should see a petite little reporter lug a huge shoulder mount camera up onto the tripod and run it when it is bigger than them.. Really funny!!

So I pushed for new camera's and found the new Sony HXR-NX5U met all our needs in that it is a Z1/Z5 style camera (smaller format) but has "NO TAPE"...Shoots to SD cards and a 4 GB class 2 gives 58 min each in SD.

It will shoot HD as AVCHD 24Mbps files and does SD as Mpeg-2 and 9 Mbps with AC3 audio.  I demo'd a camera from Sony and did a lot of testing with it, I played a few clips on the CS5 systems and everything seemed ok.  They did require a quick render and I think that has to do with the Mpeg-2 compression.  It is about 1/4-1/2 time render so a 5 minute clip will take 1-2.5 minutes roughly to render out.  Playback is ok even when not rendered but the video looks fuzzy on the CRT monitor looped off of our Firewire DSR-11 DVCAM deck.  Not a big deal, they can edit and render at the end before dumping to tape.

Problem that came up today (we just started using the new camera's this week), when I went to diagnose system crashing, I found a simple news package on the timeline.  Maybe 40 small clips, edited into a package, with simple edits.  It was already rendered but I noticed the fan on the system was running fast which only happens if the CPU is working hard.  (Front Case Fan 120mm is on the CPU fan header PWM control, CPU fan is on Northbridge fan connector non-PWM controlled)  So the CPU fan (stock) is running at full speed but I used the MB temp monitoring to control the front fan so I could have a quiet system when it is not working hard.

That led me to open the task manager.  I found that the CPU is running along at 94-98% for both Cores.  Ram is ok as Premiere was using about 1.8GB of the 4 GB in the system.  I checked the other system and it was doing the same thing.

What is odd, is premiere is just sitting there with a timeline open, mpeg-2 clips on it and me not doing anything it stays at 92% continually.  I even close the project so I am out at the "new project" "Open Project" screen and no change.  If I hit exit, then the CPU drops right away down to 7% and is fine.  Open premiere back up into a project and CPU goes right back up.  During a timeline Render it is 100%.

We are able to edit and they seem to work but it is causing the system to run Hot and is running the CPU at near max all the time. I added two more 80mm fans out the back that will help pull more hot air out.

Is my chip way to slow for mpeg?  is there a setting that I must change to optimize editing mpeg-2?  I am assuming it is the work to decode the video on the fly, something the DV video didn't require so much CPU for.  I am not using GPU acceleration as I do not have a card that supports it even with the hack that I know of.  And GPU Acc. doesn't work for DV firewire output either.

I am considering the following:

1. Buy larger aftermarket CPU cooler and overclock my chip as many say this "Black Edition" with an unlocked multiplier is a breeze to overclock up to 4 Ghz range. (but still only 2 cores)

2. Buy a replacement 4 or 6 core processor to replace it (also with the better than stock Cooler from above)

The only problem is having to spend so much money on additional hardware.

I am also going to optimize Windows 7 on these editors as I think Areo is running and other none essential things.

The big question is why is it maxing out when doing NOTHING?????  Is it just trying to build that freeze frame on the screen as it is a picture between the I- frames? (i.e. not a real frame of video but one created by decoding the info of IPPBPPIPPBPPI etc.)

Any idea's/help would be great.  Anyone else using this camera and the SD files?  I didn't think this would be an issue as I had read post that people were editing this kind of stuff on CS3 a few years back.  Can't believe it would cause a newer system so much grief..

Mark

• 1. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Run the PPBM5 Benchmark

Send the results to Bill as indicated on the site and possibly to me by PM. If your results are over say 500 seconds, you will have a less than nice editing experience with your material. However, I would not be surprised to see your current results to be over 1,500 or even 2,000 seconds, around 25-40 times slower than a fast Intel system. It hardly makes sense to invest any money in an AMD platform, with the lacking SSE4.1+ extensions. You have chosen a camera that requires quite some muscle from the PC and AMD is not the CPU of choice for that.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
            KCWY_News_13 Level 1

I agree that these systems are way below what I would have built if I knew these camera's were coming.  But at the time we had the minimal budget and I just wanted to move away from the horrible Avid systems we had.  They were way out of date and could not import/export to any format other than DV .avi/.mov files. Even those it struggled to export to.  They were only a P4 2.6Ghz with 1.5 GB of memory... pitiful...

I will run the benchmark on Monday and see how they rate. I understand that AMD doesn't seem to be the way to go on these editors as they don't support hyperthreading which I assume adds additional speed, as windows shows them as another "core".  How much does it help premiere?, do they benifit by as many cores as possible?  Or only REAL cores?

At this point is it recommended for .mpg files to scrap these systems and start over with a new i7-930 or i5-2400 (looks promising on Passmark ratings) with 8 GB of memory?  I would just need new motherboard/Ram (tripple channel) and processor.  Everything else would work but the core of the system would be faster.  I can always use these other parts in another standard office desk system.. so nothing is going to waste.

What base system would you recommend for what we are doing.  SD mpg clips for the next few years. This is where maybe just upping to a phenom II X6 to get more cores makes cost sense or is that not going to help enough?  There are so few AMD based systems on the PPBM5 page it is hard to tell what factors them in the list....Only one near the top...

Someday we would upgrade to AVCHD but that in my plan would call for a new system at that time as hardware will have evolved a lot.

Thanks,

• 3. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
              JaysonM-Y-rFDmba
              "What base system would you recommend for what we are doing.  SD mpg clips for the next few years."

I'd recommend one that can edit AVCHD.

Seriously, it's better to get a system now that lasts the next few years than getting one that's already outdated...

• 4. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
                Harm Millaard Level 7

The best options you have are either a i7-2600K or a i7-950 Intel system. The first is a KISS system, the second a LOVE system.

Look here: Adobe Forums: Tapeless workflows and Sandy Bridge or...

and here: PPBM5 Latest News

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
                  KCWY_News_13 Level 1

The idea right now is what low cost update can I do to handle what we need right now as this format (mpg) is what we will be using continually till the studio is upgraded.

The cost of making a system to handle AVCHD now, will be 3 times or more, what it would cost 3 years from now when we would need it with the rapid increase in speed each generation of hardware brings.  The next upgrade would also be aimed at GPU acceleration as would would not be dubbing back to tape via firewire, we would have to export to H.264 or something similar for a play-to-air server.  Having speed on the export would require the GPU use for speed.

If I had been told that Corporate would upgrade my studio next year to Full HD, I would agree with you more. But because all I am hearing is make do, hope we don't lay off anyone, I don't want to fight for higher end systems. I was surprised they went for the new cameras as a capital expense.  Of course 6 new camera's with bags/lights/accessories/chargers for $27,000 isn't a bad deal. Some HD camera's you would be lucky to get one at that price.....

On a side note I was fixing one of our CS3 Bureau laptops that crashed.  These are basic systems HP dv5z running Athlon x2 chips.  They benchmark with passmark as 970 which is 1000 lower than the systems above I just built for processor rating. They only have 2 GB of memory and single 5400 rpm drive.  I had rolled these back to XP when I purchased them almost 2 years ago, but with having to reinstall completely I opted to put 7-64bit on. I installed it clean and changed the settings to Best Performance. Then I installed CS3 again and all it's updates.  Strange thing with this.  After importing 6 minutes of .mpg files shot on the new camera, I did scrubbing and editing cutting the files together in different ways.  I even laid a picture in picture that rotates just to work it hard and with all of that the 2 cores are running at 55%-67% at the most. Granted the bar is red the whole time and when I hit enter to render it runs at 99-100% during the render, but the editing of the mpg files is doable.  Another interesting thing, when I am playing the timeline (processor at 55%), and hit pause, (processor drops to 3%), hit play (processor at 55% again).... just as I would expect.  Why is CS5 running the processor at 90-100% with the timeline stopped.  The only other difference between the systems is I have not turned off Aero on the desktop systems I outlined on the first post.

I am confused, the CS3 on a slower system with half the ram is handling these mpg files pretty well. Was CS3 just less demanding on the system? I would assume so as it is 2 versions ago and the hardware of the time was early-dual core..

I also did a test where I used a free program called mpeg-streamclip.  I had it batch transfer the .mpg files from the SD card to the local drive and convert them to .dv files.  Then importing them into the same project onto a new timeline, you can edit with processor at 20-30% and no redline/render required.  The transfer/transcode is faster than realtime so this would work great for the fact our bureau's still captured everything from tape with the old camera's.  Any workflow faster than real time is a good thing.  We installed multi-card readers in all the reporters desktop systems and the Scratch drives of the two editors are shared so you can dump files into them.  It might work to have them just transcode on their desktop machine into the edit bay before they go in to work. That way the transcode process is handled by other machines....

Thanks,

Mark

• 6. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't edit MPG files, so this is partly based on a lot of past reading... plus a lot of new reading when I was getting ready to build a new computer for CS5 and AVCHD files (read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 for more)

AVI files (at least the DV AVI files I used to use, digitized via Pinnacle Dv500 from an analog camcorder) are "DV25" (I think) files where every frame is a full and complete picture... so editing is easy since Premiere has "all" the information it needs

MPG files are highly compressed, with a full frame only every so often (12 or 15 frames?) and all the frames in between are simply "markup" frames to tell the PLAYBACK engine what to do to generate a picture on the screen

When you want to edit those files, Premiere must do an "on the fly" composition to "create" the intervening frames for viewing and editing... a lot more difficult than simply playing back, in something other than Premiere

That requires a LOT of computing power... even if the files are SD and not HD

The AVCHD files from my new Canon Vixia are similar, in that a lot of computing power is required to edit

You seem to have found a workaround, by converting the files before editing, so I think that is your best option until new computers

And... before going to HD cameras and editing computers... check here for advice BEFORE buying anything!

• 7. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
                      Jim_Simon Level 9

First, I'd find out why the CPU is near max with playback paused.  It shouldn't be.  Open up Task Manager and find out what process is using all those cycles.

Next, you might try this.  It's a minimal cost upgrade, and will likely handle the material significantly better.  You could try it on one and then judge if it's worth it for all.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103702

• 8. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
                        KCWY_News_13 Level 1

Interesting thing we noticed in testing today.  The .MPG files seem to be fine on the timeline when just dropped there and are worked with.  When the person hits enter and has the whole timeline Render, then the maxed out CPU problem starts happening.  Why would the AFTER Render be harder than before.  Isn't the Rendering out of the timeline creating separate files in the Media Cache that are "uncompressed" with all the affects calculated?

These have an 80 GB OS drive and a 1TB Scratch drive they all share.  Each reporter has a folder with their name and the Midia Cache is on that same drive in a Hidden Folder.

Any idea's on this?

I am considering just having them convert prior to edit but that takes time.  But I guess no more than the Render ends up taking.....if the files are decompressed to .dv (DV25) files before editing the sizes are bigger but the editing goes more smooth.  Also the only render is effects added like transitions.

Thanks,

• 9. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
                          Jim_Simon Level 9
                          When the person hits enter and has the whole timeline Render, then the maxed out CPU problem starts happening.

Well, duh!  That's the rendering happening.  Wait for that to finish

• 10. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
                            Colin Brougham Level 6
                            Why would the AFTER Render be harder than before.  Isn't the Rendering out of the timeline creating separate files in the Media Cache that are "uncompressed" with all the affects calculated?

Well, you might be answering your own question here. For one, what are the scratch drive settings for the project? Go to Project > Project Settings > Scratch Disks to check this. Your setup isn't ideal, having a single media drive, but your best bet in this scenario is to probably set the scratch disks to the media drive.

Secondly, what is your preview file format set to? Go to Sequence > Sequence Settings to determine this. You're probably set to I-frame Only MPEG, or possibly Microsoft AVI with an uncompressed codec. Couple either of those with rendering to a single slow drive (possibly your system drive), and you've got a recipe for slow downs.

Finally, do you have any other codecs installed that might causing issues? I'm trying to recall--were you using the Matrox codecs? If so, it's possible that those are clogging up the CPU--they've been known to play very well with otherwise healthy systems.

All I've got for now...

• 11. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
                              KCWY_News_13 Level 1
                              function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

JSS1138 wrote:

When the person hits enter and has the whole timeline Render, then the maxed out CPU problem starts happening.

Well, duh!  That's the rendering happening.  Wait for that to finish

That is an un-nessessary comment.  You know I was not talking about the actual Render, I am refering to after it is done the processor just stays near maxed out even though your not playing the timeline.  The line is completely green, and the program is just sitting there but CPU is cranking away at 95-100%...

• 12. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
                                KCWY_News_13 Level 1

Secondly, what is your preview file format set to? Go to Sequence > Sequence Settings to determine this. You're probably set to I-frame Only MPEG, or possibly Microsoft AVI with an uncompressed codec. Couple either of those with rendering to a single slow drive (possibly your system drive), and you've got a recipe for slow downs.

Finally, do you have any other codecs installed that might causing issues? I'm trying to recall--were you using the Matrox codecs? If so, it's possible that those are clogging up the CPU--they've been known to play very well with otherwise healthy systems.

All I've got for now...

Hmm, I will have to check that setting.  We were using these with just DV files before, either captured from DVCAM tape (AVI files) or .avi or .mov files imported from nNovia media packs.  So we were working in DV25 for everything.  I maybe assumed that when you drop an mpg file on the timeline and then render it, that a DV compressed file was created in the background so the system didn't have to work so hard to create all the missing frames that Long GOP has.  I was using Blackmagic on a separate editor for our commercial production. These never had Matrox or Blackmagic and only did DV.

Thanks,

• 13. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
                                  Jim_Simon Level 9

The line is completely green, and the program is just sitting there but CPU is cranking away at 95-100%...

Ah.  Got it now.

Yeah, that should not be.  I'd solve that first.  Did you check Task manager to see exactly which process was using those cycles?

• 14. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

As you may have seen I posted your results. Your statement:

Looking back at it now, and after reading a lot of posts, these systems are on the low end. 

is damn accurate. 8-th rank from the bottom and around 32 x slower than a fast system, out of nearly 200 systems tested. For DV that is still perfectly acceptable, but for AVCHD it is not enough.

Your problem is the same in every industry. One can increase productivity and reduce hazards or improve working conditions (like less bulky and heavy cameras), but only at a price, by investing in new technology. It makes no sense to only invest in new cameras, without also investing in new computer equipment. It would be similar to investing in new production machinery in a plant, but postponing the training required for employees to properly use that new machinery. IMO that is a typical example of 'penny-wise, pound foolish'.

• 15. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
                                      ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

If you can't get new systems now as Harm suggests then the following is your best bet to get through till then.

Update board to latest bios.

Get the following CPU with a 3rd party fan: 1090T

Buy or atleast try out Neo Scene from Cineform. The conversion time is very quick and won't slow you down.

Problem solved for now. Harm is right though. It never ceases to amaze me when I deal with broadcast companies that spend a fortune on their gear and then try and run that gear with 3 year old or more technology or I-Mac's that are not meant for that kind of work.

Eric

ADK

• 16. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
                                        KCWY_News_13 Level 1

Ah.  Got it now.

Yeah, that should not be.  I'd solve that first.  Did you check Task manager to see exactly which process was using those cycles?

Well, checked that and the only thing eating the CPU is Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.  Did som screen shots to show it:

• 17. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
                                          KCWY_News_13 Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

As you may have seen I posted your results. Your statement:

Looking back at it now, and after reading a lot of posts, these systems are on the low end. 

is damn accurate. 8-th rank from the bottom and around 32 x slower than a fast system, out of nearly 200 systems tested. For DV that is still perfectly acceptable, but for AVCHD it is not enough.

Your problem is the same in every industry. One can increase productivity and reduce hazards or improve working conditions (like less bulky and heavy cameras), but only at a price, by investing in new technology. It makes no sense to only invest in new cameras, without also investing in new computer equipment. It would be similar to investing in new production machinery in a plant, but postponing the training required for employees to properly use that new machinery. IMO that is a typical example of 'penny-wise, pound foolish'.

When I built these systems 8 months ago, I was originally going to get CS4, then I read on the site the CS5 was just around the corner, didn't want to buy the version on it's way out so I held off.  I had never been to this forum, wish I had, things might be different....  I went off of this list when deciding what we would need:

• Intel® Core™2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II processor; 64-bit support required
                                          • 64-bit operating system required: Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1 or Windows® 7
                                          • 2GB of RAM (4GB or more recommended)
                                          • 10GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash-based storage devices)
                                          • 7200 RPM hard drive for editing compressed video formats; RAID 0 for uncompressed
                                          • 1280x900 display with OpenGL 2.0–compatible graphics card
                                          • Adobe-certified GPU card for GPU-accelerated performance
                                          • Adobe-certified card for capture and export to tape for SD/HD workflows
                                          • OHCI-compatible IEEE 1394 port for DV and HDV capture, export to tape, and transmit to DV device
                                          • Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft Windows Driver Model
                                          • DVD-ROM drive compatible with dual-layer DVDs (DVD+-R burner for burning DVDs; Blu-ray burner for creating Blu-ray Disc media)
                                          • QuickTime 7.6.2 software required for QuickTime features
                                          • Broadband Internet connection required for online services*

I understand competely now that these systems are too slow, Adobe's own specs are way to low. I knew I was on the low end but the problem is we built them for DV so I wasn't expecting them to do much more than that.  According to Adobe, I was in the (recommended Spec, not even the minimum...)  If I was wanting to attempt AVCHD right now I would start over, but the desire now is to edit .mpg clips.  It seems to be able to do that but when we have a few on the timeline and they are rendered the CPU just maxes out for no reason. But I have trouble duplicating it myself...

Today I went in and there was one .mpg clip on a timeline.  I checked the CPU and it was running at 98%.  I closed that project, started a new one with standard DV NTSC same as the reporters. Imported the same .mpg file that was on this reporters project.  I placed it on the timeline just as she had it and did some cuts and worked with it for over 5 minutes.  Rendered it all and the CPU looked fine, maybe 40-50% in bursts.  Playing it would cause it to go up some, stop it would go down.  Could not get it to do what it was doing for her.  Closed my project re-opened hers and boom CPU to 98% again.

here are some screenshots:

Project Settings.jpg

Sequence Settings.jpg

You can see here is where opening her project caused the spike.  Then not doing anything with Premiere it just floats along the top...

Performance.jpg

Media Cache on E:\ Drive, same as the project and .mpg file.  1 TB 7200 RPM drive.

Media.jpg

Proceses that are running, mspaint only running as that is what I did the paste of the Alt+Print Screen to grab the task manager with.

Running Processes.jpg

• 18. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
                                            Jim_Simon Level 9

So ditch hers and start anew.

PP should not be running at 98% if no rendering or playback is actually going on.  It sounds like the project may have become corrupt.

• 19. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
                                              KCWY_News_13 Level 1

JSS1138 wrote:

So ditch hers and start anew.

PP should not be running at 98% if no rendering or playback is actually going on.  It sounds like the project may have become corrupt.

I would think you are right that something isn't right but it isn't just her project.  It is happening on both machines all the reporters projects.

We just got some new desktop systems for our Sales Department.  Because of the sales software is demanding they are not a bad system.

HP Core i5 760 with 4 GB memory, and single 500 GB boot drive.  I threw CS5 on one this morning. Suspended the license on one machine and activated it on the Intel system.  Just having 4 cores vs. 2 might be the issue but I copied and entire Project folder from the other editor to this new machine.

Re-Rendered and played the timeline from that same project and no issues.  2 of the 4 cores maybe at 60% but the other two at 40% and not working hard at all.

So I realized these machines have Firewire built into the motherboard so I am going to try swapping them in tomorrow and see how they do for a week.  We are in sweeps so the crashing and poor performance is causing a lot of problems.  Because all the projects and files are on the E:\ drive I can just swap it over and things will be good to go.

I will run the benchmark on these as well and see how they compare.

Thanks,

• 20. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
                                                Jim_Simon Level 9
                                                It is happening on both machines all the reporters projects.

Wait, I thought you said when you started a new project, the issue didn't appear.

• 21. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
                                                  KCWY_News_13 Level 1

JSS1138 wrote:

It is happening on both machines all the reporters projects.

Wait, I thought you said when you started a new project, the issue didn't appear.

Well, it is odd, when I start a project and pull in the files, I don't see the problem right away.  I played for 20 minutes and dropped multiple files on the timeline and did not get the crazy processor maxing out myself.  But I check on the reporters editing every day and all of them in both editors have this problem happening.  It seems to slowely increase the more they do to the project.  I know now editing mpeg-2 files at 9 Mbps are just to much work for a 2 core processor.

I did find a new issue today.  Remember I said in the beginning that when we drop the mpg files onto the timeline it is red and needs to be rendered.  I never could figure out why???  I did notice on the external monitor that the video looked soft when not rendered and cleaned up after being rendered. I was looking at the info of my camera (HXR-NX5U) files in Mpeg streamclip, and it said they are 720x480 29.97 frames/sec and Upper Field First.

So I looked at the settings of a DV NTSC sequence and sure enough Lower Field First...  So I created a new sequence and changed that to Upper Field First and when I drop the file on NO RED BAR!!! it is Yellow...so our render has been to flip the field order...

So questions:

1. I can not find a setting in the camera as of yet to change field order,  we export to DVCAM for play to air,  Is there any problem just working in premiere as Upper Field First even when exporting to DVCAM?

2. Does UFF or LFF really matter either way?  I understand it is the interlaced frames and all, but do not really know what the order of the frames does to the playback on NTSC screens.

I have ordered Phenom II X6 processors, 4 more gigs of memory (will be 8 total) and aftermarket coolers that should let me run at 4 GHz x 6 cores as shown on many sites testing the Hexa-core AMD.  I considered starting over with an intel based system but just can't justify the cost.  Another $600 into these systems to handle SD Mpeg video without problems.

I saw a performance increase running on HP systems with i5-760 chips.  Less Processor (4 cores vs. 2 cores) load but for some reason on those systems, Premiere likes to just disappear for no reason....  But, doesn't go away in the running processes, it stays in there using 25% of the CPU and 200-600MB of memory.  Then when the user re-opens thier project and keeps working there are two PP.exe running.  I have went in when there were 4 running at the same time and the system was very unstable... Killed the other three and everything is happy....not that we will stay with these i5 systems, why would premiere crash like that?, never did it on the Phenom X2 555 based systems.

Thanks,

• 22. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
                                                    KCWY_News_13 Level 1

Ok, we have upgraded to the new X6 Phenom II processors and I have ran the benchmark (correctly this time) on the Edit 4 build. I uploaded the results to the PPBM5 today but here are the results in the Output.txt files for the three tests.

Base test again with the X2 555,  then swapped to X6, then again with 8GB memory.  Only other change was I added a fan to the Northbridge Chip as they were always very hot to the touch after shutting down the system.

PPBM5 edit bays.png

I saw a big change in the numbers. Not sure what each one is but all 4 dropped considerably when the 6 core chip was added.  Some additinal drop with the additional Ram but first number went up a bit...

Harm, what are each of the numbers in the new output file?

We will see how these handle the .mpg files now.  Fingers Crossed....

Thanks everyone for the help!!

• 23. Re: Basic system struggling with Standard Def MPG files
                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Your results have been posted.

The figures are disk, MPEG, H.264 and render results respectively.