9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2011 4:28 PM by jay fresno

FMR problem using Alt key

jay fresno Level 1

I'm capturing a full motion recording of a software application. To perform certain functions in that application, I need to hold down Alt key. However, when I do that, the screen and the FMR freezes. Eventually it unfreezes and I can continue with the recording, but it is very discruptive to the recording and the freeze causes me to make errors.

I checked the shortcut keys in Captivate and none of them use the ALT key, so there doesn't appear to be a shortcut key conflict.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

• 1. Re: FMR problem using Alt key
          Mr_TD Level 2

Hi Jay Fresno,

did you check the windows settings for pressing certain keys a long time?

I have a non English system therefore my description might be ... what ever:

Start > System Settings > Center for easy Navigation > Keyboard Functions > Simplify Textinput

Best TD

• 2. Re: FMR problem using Alt key
            jay fresno Level 1

TD,

Thanks for trying to help. I'm not able to find those settings on my computer. I'm using Windows XP, English USA version.

• 3. Re: FMR problem using Alt key
              Mr_TD Level 2

Hi again,

Start > Control Panel > Accessibility Options > Accessibility Options

Check Keyboard and General.

Best TD

• 4. Re: FMR problem using Alt key
                jay fresno Level 1

TD,

Thanks for taking the time to let me know where to look. In my case, I don't see any settings in that dialog that would affect the timing for the Alt key. There must be something else going on that causes the temporary freeze.

Untitled-1.gif Untitled-2.gif

• 5. Re: FMR problem using Alt key
                  Sivakumar Nagarajan Level 2

Hi Jay

I was trying to repro your problem. I tried the following with Captivate 5 on Win XP as well as Win7 using Word2007 as target (sample) app and an animated SWF in the background to indicate any "freeze" in FMR. When I hold down ALT key for a while, Word 2007 shows all the available menu accelerators which can be typed further. I was able to record (FMR) all menu accelerator usage and the bg animation was also smooth. I could not reproduce the problem you have mentioned. Could it be the app that you are recording that is causing this?

What version of Captivate are you using? What version of windows, service pack? What is the target app that you are recording? Does the problem happen when you try Word 2007? Please let us know.

Cheers

Siva

• 6. Re: FMR problem using Alt key
                    jay fresno Level 1

Sivakumar,

Thanks for your interest in this issue.

I'm using Captivate 5.0.1.624 on Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3. The target app is Illustrator CS5 version 15.0.2.399. The problem did not occur with Word 2007; just shows all the available menu accelerators, but no temporary freeze as there is using Illustrator. I need to hold down Alt when recording Illustrator as part of showing how to draw certain shapes that include two curves that come together at a corner point. Let me know if you're able to reproduce it with Illustrator.

• 7. Re: FMR problem using Alt key
                      Sivakumar Nagarajan Level 2

Hi Jay

You are right. The problem happens while recording Illustrator (and probably with other CS5 products as well). The moment ALT key is pressed, mouse "freezes" for sometime and then comes back to life. I am unable to suggest any workarounds for this as of now. Post recording, the FMR can be edited using the FMR editor inside Captivate. You can select the portion of the movie where mouse froze and delete it. Please check if this works for you.

I would also suggest that you file a bug for this here : https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Cheers

Siva

• 8. Re: FMR problem using Alt key
                        jay fresno Level 1

Siva,

Thanks for your suggestion to use the FMR editor. I was pleased to find that the FMR editor is easy to use, and it worked fine for me. Although it was time-consuming to do this extra editing which could have been avoided had it not been for the freeze problem. The bug has been reported.

• 9. Re: FMR problem using Alt key
                          jay fresno Level 1

Siva,

Has any progress been made to fix this bug?

I have another Captivate project which involves Illustrator CS5. This time it is NOT a FMR, just simple screen captures.

I'm not able to complete the project because when I hold down ALT, the screen freezes and it never un-freezes. Unless there is a fix for this, I won't be able to use Captivate for this project and will have to find another eLearning application that does work with the ALT key and Illustrator.