4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2011 9:09 AM by Mylenium

Need help with a light effect

EricCJunk

Hi All,

Im working with a scene in AE.  Its a wide shot of trees that have hanging lights in them.  The scene doesn't move for 10 seconds, and then it pans up to a black sky.

Basically what I want to achieve is an effect where lots of little lights burst of the lights in the trees and then move up (as the video pans up) to create a starry sky effect.

I know this probably wont be easy or a job for a beginner like myself but I wanted to ask here in case anybody knew of any "easy" way to do this.  I do have all the Red Giant plug ins and BCC7 I could use.  But am not sure if there is one specific plugin I should focus in on, or if there is a effect in AE to do this.

If anybody has any ideas, advice, or can even point me in the right direction id really appreciate it.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Need help with a light effect
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You could use AE's own Particle Playground effect. See this example. Other than that the best tool for such stuff would be Trapcode Form, but you'd still have to understand how to create layer maps. Multiple instances of Trapcode Particular would also work - you can "freeze" particles there easily by animating the Physics Time Factor...

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Need help with a light effect
            EricCJunk Level 1

Hi Mylenium,

Thank You!  That Particle Playground example is exactly what Im looking for.  Are they any tutorials youre aware of that show you how to set it up?  This way I could figure out how to move the "lights"in the light layer to be on the actual light sources.  And then I assume I could just put an ajustment layer over it to make them look more like stars correct?

Best-

Eric

• 3. Re: Need help with a light effect
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Thank You!  That Particle Playground example is exactly what Im looking for.  Are they any tutorials youre aware of that show you how to set it up?

I'm not aware of specific training for it, but there may be some chapters/ lessons on it on sites like TotalTraining and similar. Oddly enough, while it's one of the oldest tools in all AE, there is very little info on it anywhere, making it tough to master. I guess you'll have to muddle through or ask follow-up questions here.

This way I could figure out how to move the "lights"in the light layer to be on the actual light sources.

The stuff in the pre-comp is just a dummy created using a shape layer repeater. You can very much use anything you want to define the sources - a small solid, individual shape layer circles, an extract of your actual lights (Shift Channels --> Alpha from Luminance). it just needs to have a certain minimum diameter for Playground to actualyl generate something visible If you are uncertain, you could also try the Cannon inside Playground. Works just the same, you will just have to use multiple layers/ instances of the effect.

And then I assume I could just put an ajustment layer over it to make them look more like stars correct?

Yes. Or to the particle layer itself, depending on how you set it up. and wnat it to interact with your footage. The glitter/ glare effect from BCC used subtly should do the trick.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Need help with a light effect
                EricCJunk Level 1

Thank you again.  Did you create that example for me, or was it from somewhere?  I ask because if there was a video explaining how to set it up that would be exactly what im looking for.   Ive been searching the web for tuts on PP but am not really coming up with any.  I will play around with the effect now and see what i can come up with.