4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2011 4:58 AM by Orytek

Exporting 1080i and not losing fluidity?

Dario D.

I like how smoothly 1080i video plays back in Windows Media Player 12 (25 and 30fps videos play back at 50 and 60fps, and it looks very smooth)... but, after editing these files in Premiere, how do you export them, maintaining their interlaced, fluid-playing nature? (the originals are AVCHD, btw, from the Sony A55 and Lumix GH2. I downloaded some sample videos off the net, to see if these cams produce videos that I can easily work with)

I can only find two sets of export presets for 1080i (at 25 and 30fps). The H.264 Blu-ray preset outputs files that crash all of my media players (btw, I have plenty of codecs), and the MPEG-2 HDTV 1080i setting doesn't get the 60fps boost in Windows Media Player.

Any ideas? How does one normally work with 1080i footage? Do you just export as Progressive, and discard the fluid playback?

• 1. Re: Exporting 1080i and not losing fluidity?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Try a matching H.264 (non Blu-ray) preset.

• 2. Re: Exporting 1080i and not losing fluidity?
            Orytek Level 1

Avoid losing frames by not deinterlacing on export. Use a good deinterlace filter that has the ability to only perform deinterlacing where there is motion in the scene

or allows you to mask only certain areas. Some plugs use adaptive techniques or blending and motion estimation to only effect needed areas.

Apply the filter in a 1080i workspace and export it as interlaced and it will appear deinterlaced but still retain the frames. Fieldskit is my favorite but redgiant and boris have similar plugs.

• 3. Re: Exporting 1080i and not losing fluidity?
              Dario D. Level 1

Jim, I tried your suggestion, but I can't find a 1080i preset under H.264. Also, it doesn't seem to allow interlaced footage above 1280x720. (it brings up an error saying to choose either a different frame size or framerate) Am I missing something?

Orytek, did you mean to say find a deinterlacer that does NOT deinterlace the parts with motion? (I thought the high-motion parts were what needed the interlacing the most, so that they can have that fluid motion, playing back at 60fps) I'm not familiar with the details of interlacing (I've always been a user of "progressive"), so the concept of videos that have interlacing in some places, but not in others, is new to me.

• 4. Re: Exporting 1080i and not losing fluidity?
                Orytek Level 1

Dariodee-

No. I said it correctly.

With interlaced video it is the motion that would show the most interlacing artifacts, so rather than deinterlace by dropping frames, a good filter

might use blending or other adaptive techniques to get rid of the jaggedness where there is motion. If a video has little or no  motion, then less interlacing artifacts would be visible. Thats why I recommended a filter because your not doing a typical de-interlace by losing half your frames and converting it to progressive. So when you export it, you need it to be the same as you imported it, not as progressive.