14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2011 9:41 AM by dan2468

Pics Disappearing

dan2468

Hey all, new guy here. Have been looking through the threads and there’s a wealth of information here.

I do have a specific problem with Premier Elements 8.0 that I can’t find listed here.

First I click on “Get Media” and then I go a folder on my hard drive where my pics are. When I click on a given pic in the folder it disappears. It only disappears from the “add media” folder that’s open. The pic itself is still on my computer. The more I choose the more that disappear. If I close the folder and open it again all the pics return only for the same thing to happen again. Needless to say that without being able to import pics I can’t make any movies.

• 1. Re: Pics Disappearing
          nealeh Level 5

OK, as you've been scouring the forum have you worked through the basics yet? Also can you give information about your hardware, clips and stills.

• Install all Windows Updates.

• Install latest version of Apple QuickTime (v7.6.9 at time of writing). Even if you don't use QuickTime, PRE relies heavily on it.

• Install most recent graphics and sound drivers from the manufacturers web sites.
          • Install PRE9 v9.0.1 update.
          • Delete BadDrivers.txt (in Windows 7 this is likely at C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Premiere Elements\9.0\BadDrivers.txt)
          • Run Disk Cleanup.
          • Run Defragmenter.
          • Reboot your PC.
          • Temporarily disable any anti-virus realtime scanning.

And give us some information about your clips and hardware:

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Pics Disappearing
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your problem was also commonly experienced in early versions of Windows 7. Subsequent updates have resolved it, especially if you also update your graphics card's drivers from the ATI or nVidia site, and you update Quicktime from Apple.

Make sure you manually go to Windows Update so that you get even the non-critical updates.

• 3. Re: Pics Disappearing
              dan2468 Level 1

Yes, I have started with all the basics of doing verious updates to Windows and Adobe. I am running a Dell laptop, Windows 7, with 3gig of memory and 64 bit. The issue began a couple of weeks ago when I replaced the hard drive due to failure of the old one. I'm temped to buy version 9 but hate to spend the money when what I have should work.

• 4. Re: Pics Disappearing
                the_wine_snob Level 9

One potential issue is that 3GB RAM is just barely enough to run Win7-64. There is almost nothing left over for programs. A consideration might be to fill up the available slots with all the RAM that your MoBo can use.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Pics Disappearing
                  dan2468 Level 1

True, more memory would help the overall system. But, the program had been runnning fine prior to installing the new hard drive, hence reinstalling all my software. It's aggrivating because when I first purchased it I had the same problem, I just can't remember what I did to fix it.

• 6. Re: Pics Disappearing

Have you also updated Premiere Elements 8 by going to the Help menu and selecting Check for Updates?

• 7. Re: Pics Disappearing
                      Don the Patriot

Steve, I have had the OP's problem ever since I updated to the 8.01. Go figure. I have all win 7.64 updates installed.

• 8. Re: Pics Disappearing
                        dan2468 Level 1

Steve, yes, I did all the updates from the help menu.

Nealeh, I did the updates from your post with the exception of “PRE9 v9.0.1 update” as I have ver 8.

I also went through various links on Adobe’s website and did a number of installs and updates listed. I’m not sure which one fixed the problem but right now it’s working. So, for now, I’m going to give it a few days and see if it comes back.

Thanks to all for you help.

• 9. Re: Pics Disappearing
                          nealeh Level 5

So, if you've not already done so, install the PRE8 patch:

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: Pics Disappearing
                            dan2468 Level 1

nealeh,

I don't remember now the order in which I did the verious downloads/patches, but yes, I did the one you mentioned. Being the system is now working I'm affraid to click on anything else. Thanks again for your time and help. Maybe next time, as I learn the program better, I can help others.

• 11. Re: Pics Disappearing
                              dan2468 Level 1

AAARRRGGG, I think I'm ready to screem! .......but I won't.

This same issue is back. I click on Get Media and then PC Files and Folders. When the Add Media window pops up I can then choose from anything (pics or video) on my computer. As soon as I click on one of the files all the other files in the window vanish. I can only add the one file I selected. When I click on PC Files and Folder again everything returns in the Add Media window but the same vanishing act happens again.

I'm about ready to go back to Windows Vista so I can use Windows Movie Maker again. Yes, I know, it's a stripped down program compared to PRE8 but ya know what?...it worked. OK, sorry, rant over.

Any new suggestions? I followed the tools in the above posts. I thought about upgrading to PRE9 but I don't know if it will work either and then with my luck the next week PRE10 will come out. I feel like I'm stuck. (sorry, I'm ranting agian).

The top pic is what I first get when I click on PC Files and Folders. The second pic is what the screen looks like after I choose one of the video files. 

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

• 12. Re: Pics Disappearing
                                Don the Patriot Level 1

I have the same problem...Exactly the same as yours. I really think it

is a bug in Premiere Elements 8.01.

• 13. Re: Pics Disappearing

If it is a bug, please contact Adobe and make them aware of it.

• 14. Re: Pics Disappearing
                                    dan2468 Level 1

Well it took quite a while but I found the perfect solution. I purchased MoviePlus x5. And what a great program. It doesn't crash, it attaches all my images, real easy to use!!! I am thrilled!!! As far as bells and whistles as compared to PRE8 I don't see enough of a difference between the two to mean anything. I know, this is a slap in the face to Adobe but it does not relect on those of you on the forum. You have been very helpful and I really apriciate it. Goodbye all and take care. Happy videoing!