5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2011 7:35 AM by nealeh

Using Standard DVD clips in a Blue Ray production

Ted Smith Level 3

A few questions -

Are there any tricks if I had a full HD project and I wanted to inset a few scenes from a standard DVD into this?

Also  I have a number of DVDs I made with a good quality DVtape camera some  years ago and wondered if there would be any benefit converting them to  Blue Ray?  The old DVDs look noticably better played on my Blue Ray  player (HDMI 1900x1080) than on my old standard DVD player (component  video) so it may be a matter of whether PRE's upscaling would be better  than that of the player?

I still have the old source DV  tapes so would be any better again to make a new HD project using this  SD video and burn it to blue ray upscaled?

Or is there other software that will do this better?

• 1. Re: Using Standard DVD clips in a Blue Ray production
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There is no benefit to converting your DVDs to BluRay -- except that the discs will be more  expensive.

Your DVD video is only 720x480 pixels in size. Blowing that out to hi-def (1920x1080) will only make your video appear fuzzy and pixelated.

Likewise, there's no point in putting your regular DV videos in a high-def BluRay project for the same reason.

A better investment would be in a DVD (or BluRay) player that includes HDMI upconversion. This feature will make a regular DVD look almost as rich and detailed as a BluRay!

• 2. Re: Using Standard DVD clips in a Blue Ray production
            the_wine_snob Level 9

What Steve said.

The only viable option for using SD (Standard Def) material in an HD (High Def) Project is to use a program to up-rez the SD DVD-quality, prior to Import.

One such program, that gets good reviews, is Red Giant's Magic Bullet Instant HD, which is a plug-in for PrPro, but at the last time that I checked, was NOT available for PrE. I have not heard of anyone finding a way to use it, in PrE, but perhaps someone has.

There are other similar programs, and if one found a good one, that was either a stand-alone, or that worked from within PrE, that might be a good option.

Also, as Steve says, playing a DVD on a good, up-rezzing BD player, will improve it, and by an astounding amount, in my estimation. The up-rezzing players have specialized chips for the up-rezzing process, and they can work very well.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Using Standard DVD clips in a Blue Ray production
              Ted Smith Level 3

As I said I already have a good BD player (Pioneer) that upscales to HDMI and the old DVD results look much better on the BD player than the old DVD player.

What I was getting at was whether using PE9 to "upscale" the old DVD's to Blue Ray would be better than letting the BD player upscale them.

One would think the software method sould be better because the player has to do it on the fly.

I inserted some old SD DVtape clips in a HD project and they came out quite well by adding a slight amout of sharpening effect to the SD sections.

Haven't tried this with VOB yet but I guess it will only make the pixelation worse.

• 4. Re: Using Standard DVD clips in a Blue Ray production
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you put standard video into a hi-def project, you're asking the software to quadruple the number of pixels in your original image, Ted. Something it's not going to do well.

Disc players with HDMI upscaling are designed to fudge standard rez to hi-rez. I still think it's the better way to go. Especially when you consider the cost of blank BluRay discs!

• 5. Re: Using Standard DVD clips in a Blue Ray production
                  nealeh Level 5

tedsmithau wrote:

What I was getting at was whether using PE9 to "upscale" the old DVD's to Blue Ray would be better than letting the BD player upscale them.

One would think the software method sould be better because the player has to do it on the fly.

But the BluRay player has dedicated hardware for upscaling. There are High Definition Bridge products that allow you to capture the signal coming from HDMI output on the BluRay player to your PC - i.e. you can capture the upscaled output.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children