3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2011 9:45 AM by crenshawlaw

Reader will install but not open in XP

Gary D Evans

It worked two days ago. Now I get an error message saying it has encountered a problem and needs to close. I have already tried the following.

1) Un-installed all Adobe programs

2) Deleted all Adobe program files

3) Increased virtual memory

4) Re-installed reader

Help!

• 1. Re: Reader will install but not open in XP
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What version of XP (service pack)? What version of Reader?

• 2. Re: Reader will install but not open in XP
            Gary D Evans Level 1

The first time the problem appeared I un-installed the original Adobe Reader

(version unknown) and installed Adobe Reader X V10.0.

XP Home Edition V2002, Service Pack 3

• 3. Re: Reader will install but not open in XP
              crenshawlaw

I have had the same thing happen to me, as well!  I have spent so much time on this and it is so frustrating!  There are many other forums on the web with other frustrated customers/clients using different versions of Windows / AV and the same problem.  I am using Windows 7, downloaded Adobe Reader X.  The program installed fine.  When I download pdfs from email, and then open them in Adobe X, everything is "a-okay."  However, when I save a document from the internet and then download it from windows 7 (same procedure), I get the error message that the file is corrupted or damaged.  EVERY SINGLE FILE FROM SEVERAL DIFFERENT STATE OR LEGAL WEBSITES that, also, previously opened fine in prior version of Adobe Reader.  I have uninstalled, reinstalled, "repaired," uninstalled again with Norton & Window AV off and installed again ... still no luck.  I depend on this Reader EVERYDAY!!  I have seen numerous threads with this, BUT no solutions!!  Please help!