These are a few tricks I pickup along the way and reading different forums. These tips may work for you and not for others. Hope it does. It work better for those who use multiple processors. The requirments that Adobe recomend are way to low.
Premiere Elements 8 is a resource hogger and all others to be exact.
1. Multiprocessor is a must.
2. Memory: 2 gigs minimum, the more the better.
3. Tons of Hard Drive space (20 min video can exceed over 25 gig of space with editing and effects for a PROJECT)
4. Graffics card with 1 gig of memory minimum.
Tips for working with Premiere Elements.
1. Before you start Premiere, turn off Anitvirus software. This helps on CPU/Memory usage.
2. Start your Premiere software, during Premiere opening at which time go to Task Manager (ctr+alt+del) and under processes tab find Premiere Elements and right click, you will see Set Priority and set to HIGH (the computer will let the program run faster and ease up on CPU/Memory, if you restart comp you will need to repeat this) NOTE: I have experienced after closing Premiere to do something else and then to restart it may not want to open Premiere for some reason or another, just go to processes and End Process for Premiere and restart Premiere and it should open. This happens even when not following this tip.
NOTE: After working in Premiere for upto an hour at a time you may want to restart your computer, this will clear out all memory cache and lets your computer run fresh again.
DISCLAIMER: I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IN THESE TIPS CAUSING ERRORS ON YOUR COMPUTER. THESE ARE JUST WHAT I'VE LEARNED TO WORK AROUND ISSUES.
Welcome to the forum.
Many of those tips appear sprinkled about from this sub-forum to the FAQ entries, but it is nice to have them in one spot, and also good to have a testimonial from a user, who improved things, by using them.
Thanks for the contribution and good luck,
PS - here are some additional links that might help others: