8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2011 10:17 AM by sjdb47e

BUG with the ANALYSIS FREQUENCY window

Olive KNL

Hello everyone,

I'm using Audition since a long and running it on my mac is a must! Thanks for that.

As titled, I encounter problems with the ANALYSIS FREQUENCY window : after a few session working properly, it started to crash or bug, a few days ago.  Opening the ANALYSIS FREQUENCY windows never finish… it seems try to load  a file or something else that is never finded and force me to kill the application.

I've tried to uninstall Audition (clean uninstall with AppCleaner) and re-install without any result...

Any idea to fix this bug?

Many thanks

• 1. Re: BUG with the ANALYSIS FREQUENCY window
          _durin_ Adobe Employee

Can you describe to me in more detail what happens when you open the Frequency Analysis window?  Or post a screenshot if it's a visible problem?  If you hold down the SHIFT key on application launch, to reset the preferences, does this make a difference?

• 2. Re: BUG with the ANALYSIS FREQUENCY window
            Dokken123

I have the exact same problem!

The Frequency Analysis window worked fine for me initially - and then.... when I select it, I get a blank window and then the spinning wheel of death. The only recovery is to select Au icon in the Dock and select "Force Quit". The rest of the screen is basically locked.

I also tried re-installing without any change. Exact same issue - SA window locks and have to force quit. Damned annoying since I use the SA window a lot normally.

• 3. Re: BUG with the ANALYSIS FREQUENCY window
              _durin_ Adobe Employee

Can you do two things so we can troubleshoot this a bit more?  First, Open Finder and go to username/Library/Preferences/Adobe/Audition/4.0/  and send the "Application Settings.xml" file to audbugs@adobe.com (or attach it to this forum thread if possible.)

Next, rename or move this file out of this folder and start Audition.  The settings file should be rebuilt.  See if you still crash when opening Frequency Analysis.  If so, please let it sit until Audition crashes, then submit the crash report.  If it doesn't crash, and you're familiar with OS X's "Activity Monitor" application, please let me know if Audition appears to be idle, or if it's gobbling up either CPU or RAM while it's in this state.

Thanks.  This is not an issue I've been able to reproduce but it is definitely something I want to take a closer look at.

• 4. Re: BUG with the ANALYSIS FREQUENCY window
                Dokken123 Level 1

I renamed the Applications Setting.xml file and restarted Audition and the FA window is now working!!!

Will report if it starts to mess with me again...

Thanks

• 5. Re: BUG with the ANALYSIS FREQUENCY window
                  Olive KNL Level 1

Yes, the symptoms are perfectly described above and I finally found a similar solution by suppressing the "audition" directory (and empty the trash) in "Library/Preferences/Adobe/".

It helps to work but the bug still be there...  so I'll try to send you the "Application Settings.xml" next time !

Thanks

• 6. Re: BUG with the ANALYSIS FREQUENCY window
                    sjdb47e

Hi guys,

I've had the same problem too. Apparently the frequency analysis window only crashes when the scale option is set to logarithmic. Nothing happens at first, but next time you try to open the window, Audition crashes. It's a shame, as frequency analysis is one of the features I use the most, and the linear view seems pretty useless to me... When you delete the preferences it works again because you're switching it to linear again.  Any idea for a workaround?

Thanks a lot!

• 7. Re: BUG with the ANALYSIS FREQUENCY window
                      _durin_ Adobe Employee

I'm trying to reproduce this issue, but so far have not had any luck.  Let me describe the steps I've been taking and if you can let me know if you're doing anything different that appears to invoke this issue, I can hopefully determine the cause and get a bug sent to a developer ASAP.

1. Launch fresh, clean Audition 4.  Open a file and open the Frequency Analysis Window.

2. Set Scale to Logarithmic and scan/play different regions of the audio file.

3. Close the Frequency Analysis panel and close Audition

4. Launch Audition, open a file, and open the Frequency Analysis Window.  Repeat a few times until the application locks up while attempting to open the Frequency Analysis panel.

If someone can attach a screenshot of their typical parameters in this panel, I can better focus my attention.  For instance, what FFT size are you using?  Which Display format?  (Lines, Bars, Area.)  etc.

Thanks!  I'd really like to nail this bug down, so any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Durin

• 8. Re: BUG with the ANALYSIS FREQUENCY window
                        sjdb47e Level 1

Hi,

an update to what I wrote yesterday: I was having problems myself with reproducing the issue, then I discovered that the frequency analysis window only crashes when the scale is set to logarithmic AND the panel containing the advanced options is closed. This seems to be independent of any other setting (FFT Size, Line/Area/Bars, etc.).

Hope this helps...

Cheers