37 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2011 12:43 PM by the_wine_snob

Burn In Progress stuck at 5%

aaron7188 Level 1

I am recently installed Premiere Elements 9 and I have been unable to burn a dvd that I have edited.  The project gets stuck once it begins the burning process and appears to lock up at 5%.  The video is only 10 minutes long and has only three scene markers in it.

Also, I am able to burn dvds otherwise.

The computer I am using has 4 GB of RAM, 64-bit processor at 2.53 GHz, 640 GB of Hard Drive space, and uses a Win 7 O/S.

Are there any settings causing this software to lock up when it attempts to burn?  I have seen other posts related to this but they don't seem to describe a scenario similar to mine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I

• 1. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Just to make sure that I am following, your Project has done the full Transcode operation, but then hangs at the beginning of the physical Burn. Is that correct?

Do you get any error messages?

What is the navigation that you are using? If PrE (which uses some of the same Sonic AuthorCore modules, as Encore) is like Encore, the first thing to be burned will be the Folder structure, VIDEO_TS), then the little IFO and BUP files, then the first VOB, which contains the Menus, and navigation, and then the first segment of the MPEG-2 AV file, which can span to additional VOB's. It would seem that at 5%, you are probably still in that navigation area.

Can you do a Burn to Folder? If that completes properly, test that VIDEO_TS folder in a DVD software player. You can then use a burning utility, like the free ImgBurn, to do the physical burn.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>able to burn dvds otherwise

How, and with what software?

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a DVD
            Read all links/sub-links to create a "best" burned disc
            Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660?tstart=0
            #2 here has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390
            Plus http://forums.adobe.com/thread/562941?tstart=0

• 3. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
              aaron7188 Level 1

Yeah, the hangup occurs at the physical burn and I do not receive any error messages.  In fact, after several hours of being hung up, and one occasion, an entire overnight, I have to just shut it down and reopen the project.

I can convert it to an .mpg file and view it on a computer.  It just seems to have the problem when I attempt to burn it to dvd.

I really shouldn't have to transfer it to another program to burn the dvd.  Something has to be preventing it from working as is.

• 4. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                aaron7188 Level 1

I have burned dvds with DVD Decrypter and Windows Media Player as well as CDs with I-Tunes.

This problem has nothing to do with the media I use or the speed in which I burn.  

• 5. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  I really shouldn't have to transfer it to another program to burn the dvd.  Something has to be preventing it from working as is.

Oh I agree, but that would narrow down the field of likely culprits, and that is the reason that I suggested it.

As John T. points out, other software can interfere with the ability of PrE (or Adobe Encore) to fully access the burner. What other software have you used to burn those successful DVD's?

Other possibilities would be the burner's firmware. Is that up to date?

Is this an internal, or external burner?

Just some things to try and help diagnose the issue.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                    aaron7188 Level 1

I am using an internal burner and I had checked the firmware initally and it was up to date.

I have used Windows Media Player and I-Tunes to burn CDs and backed up files with I-Tunes as well.  I have also used DVD Decrypter to burn .ISO files.

I have never used the Corel VideoStudio ProX3 that came preinstalled but I could give that a shot.

• 7. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                      nealeh Level 5

aaron7188 wrote:

It's very possible that it is the quality of your disks. What brand are they? Do as Bill suggested and see if Burn to Folder works. You can then see if it plays correctly with DVD software on your PC. If it does, then it is definitely some combination of your burner and the blank media. Check to see if there is a firmware update for your burner.

Also PRE does not give you any control over the burn speed. The advantage of something like ImgBurn is that you can set a burn speed. For greatest compatibility with stand-a-lone DVD players most of us prefer to burn no higher than x4 speed.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

The blank media used, could be a consideration. More often, we will see a "SenseCode Error," with bad blank media, though not always. That was why I asked about error messages. Most blank media problems manifest themselves with playability issues, but the inability to burn certainly arises, and far too often. Though considering playability, this ARTICLE might offer some good tips.

The burn speed issue with PrE is a real and valid one. PrE will factor in the speed of the blank media, plus the speed of the burner, and then choose the fastest, which often does not yield the best results. That is one very nice feature of ImgBurn (or Adobe Encore, which I use). One can adjust the burn speed down from the max.

Hunt

• 9. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                          aaron7188 Level 1

I use Memorex DVD+R discs which worked great with previous versions of Adobe PE.

I have downloaded ImgBurn and am willing to try to Burn to Folder in PE9 and use ImgBurn to make it work but I do not see Burn to Folder as an option in PE9.  Is it under "Start a New Share?

• 10. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Memorex blank media is about as bad as it gets. They buy the very cheapest media available, based on that day's prices.The print their logo onto the disks, and package them up. I have seen 3 different brands of actual discs in one 50 spindle of Memorex discs. Others report 4- 5 different mfgrs. all in one spindle. This means that one might get several discs, that work fine, and then hit a bunch that do not. That one had good results with Memorex is not something that should instill confidence, as the next blank disc could be a bad one, as might the next few on that spindle.

One of the extra benefits of ImgBurn, is that it will tell you who actually made the blank disc, and usually the lot number. There are several other such utilities available.

Along with Memorex, TDK, once a respected mfgr. now buys the cheapest blanks and just puts their logo onto them. Ritek, once another respected mfgr. seems to have adopted the Memorex business model, and most recent offerings get horrible reviews. The same is true for most store-brands.

The only two brands that I recommend are Verbatim and Taiyo-Yuden. With well over 2000 DVD-5's delivered (all T-Y), I have never had a bad burn, or a returned disc. With DVD-9's (all Verbatim), I've delivered about 400 discs, with no problems, or returns. So far, I am pitching a perfect game.

I am not saying that the Memorex is the issue, especially as you did not get the usual SenseCode Error, but it is something to think about.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                              aaron7188 Level 1

Bill,

I tried Verbatim discs as well and had the same issue.  The burn to dvd gets stuck at 5%.

So, taking your advice, I found where you can Burn to Folder in PE9 and tried that.  My intent was to burn it to a folder and then try ImgBurn.

Well, Burn to Folder has the same problem except that it gets stuck at 2%.

I did have luck burning it to an mpg file that was viewable on my PC so it seems the only problems for sharing occur under the DVD option.

Aaron

• 12. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Aaron,

Thanks for running the tests. That takes us back to the PrE Project. Can you post a screen-cap of your Timeline, and also the Menu set used, and how it's set up. If PrE is like Encore, something is wrong with the navigation. Also, do you have a Stop Marker at the end of that Timeline? If so, remove that, and test the Burn to Folder again.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                  aaron7188 Level 1

No stop marker on the project.

Here is a screen capture of the timeline so can you let me know if this works:

scrn_cap.png

• 14. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

In that screen-cap, it looks like all but one of the gaps in Video 2 is covered by the Clips in Video 3. There appears to be a gap at the end of the Timeline, where there is no "covering" Video on Track 3. Is that correct? Do the Clips on Video 3 completely (and I mean to the exact Frame), the gaps on Video Track 2? Gaps usually cause an issue with Transcoding, and not with burns, as one seldom get that far.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                      aaron7188 Level 1

If I am understanding you correctly, there are a few seconds where the Video 2 track is "not" covered by a Video 3 track so yes, that is correct.  Basically, the end of the project fades to black and then a clip comes up showing the title graphic.  Is this a glitch in PE9 as this has not been a problem in previous versions of PE?  I can try to make a change to the project and see if that resolves it, however, I can share the project in other ways and it works fine including as an .mpg file.

(FYI, I closed the gap and tried to Burn to Folder and the project got stuck at 2% once again)

Thanks for your help.

Aaron

Message was edited by: aaron7188

• 16. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Just to get rid of the gaps, where ever you have one, fill with Black Video, created with the New Icon in the Project Panel. As DVD is based on first the Video stream, it needs to have all of the Video Frames filled, in most cases. Gaps can cause lots of issues - some with error messages, but some without any.

Now, these issues are usually during the Transcode process, but it is a good practice to always fill a gap, and in your described case, the Black Video is perfect. When you create it, that Clip will be the Duration set in Edit>Preferences>General, but you can either Trim that in the Source Monitor with the In & Out Points, of by click-dragging on the Head, or Tail in the Timeline.

That may have zero affect on the issue, but will give you the best possible Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Is your project saved to your C drive or to a second or external drive?

How much free, defragmented space is on your C drive?

If your project is saved to a second hard drive, have you ensured that the drive is defragmented and formatted to NTFS?

A failure this early in the transcoding process usually doesn't indicate a problem with your burner or your DVD discs. It usually indicates a problem with the program finding write space -- though it can also indicate an overload caused by source video that doesn't match the project settings.

• 18. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Hi Steve,

Unless I have completely misread the OP, the two passes of the Transcode process have completed fully, and successfully, and then the Vobulator process has completed, and it is only during the physical Burn, that there is an issue. That is the premise that I have been working under, so if that is incorrect, then I need to step back to the Transcoding, or perhaps the Vobulator, and look in places, such as you mention.

To the OP, please correct me if I have misread exactly where the process is giving you the hang, and the error. I may have been heading down the wrong path all along.

Stay warm

Hunt

• 19. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                              aaron7188 Level 1

Steve,

Here are the responses to your questions;

<Is your project saved to your C drive or to a second or external drive?> Project is saved to my c drive.

<How much free, defragmented space is on your C drive?> Free space is more than 250 GB

Aaron

• 20. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Has your C drive been cleared of spyware and temp files and has it been freshly defragmented?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/390602?tstart=30

Especially on a brand new computer, fragmentation can leave your drive a mess! And, since Premiere Elements requires big chunks of scratch space, fragmentation can easily choke a lot of processes.

• 21. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                                  aaron7188 Level 1

Steve,

To answer your questions ...

<Has your C drive been cleared of spyware and temp files and has it been freshly defragmented?>  Yes, no spyware and it is set up with a scheduled task to defrag once a week.

Thanks,

Aaron

• 22. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                                    aaron7188 Level 1

I have disregarded any issues with the media being used as well as the hard drive defragmentation since the problem is occurring when I burn the project to a folder and to a DVD.  Since I think it has something to do with the software itself, I started testing out different scenarios.

Test #1:

Set two .avi tracks totaling 8 mins on Video Track 1.  I added no titles, transitions, or effects.  I simply rendered the project.  I did not add a dvd menu or scene markers. 

Burn to Folder-successful

Burn to DVD –successful

Test #2

Same as above only I added a dvd menu and scene markers. 

Burn to Folder – successful

Burn to DVD- - successful

Test #3

Same as above but I added titles and one clip on Video 2

Burn to Folder-successful

Burn to DVD-successful

So, not sure what is going on with the original project but I am going to start changing one thing at a time to see what the trigger is that allows it to Burn to DVD or Burn to Folder.

• 23. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have never had this happen, but I have read several/many messages that a project may simply become corrupted for some "unknown" reason, and creating a new project will work

• 24. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                                        aaron7188 Level 1

I thought that as well.  Since my project was so short, I started over on a new track.  I experienced identical issues.

I am going to continue making changes to the timeline and see if I find what the trigger is.

• 25. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                                          nealeh Level 5
                                                          • What Project Preset are you using?
                                                          • Can you analyse your source file(s) with GSpot Codec Information Appliance and post screen image(s) here.
                                                          • In your timeline press [\]. This will contract or expand the entire timeline to fit the screen. Please post a screen image here. I ask because the WorkAreaBar in your earlier earlier screen image shows a significant gap at the end of the Timeline, but it's not clear if PRE has set that range or you.

Cheers,
                                                          --
                                                          Neale

• 26. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I wondered why everything was on Video Tracks 2 & 3, and Video Track 1 was empty. Now I know - you moved everything up a Track, to address the issue early on.

Now the Video Track locations makes more sense, at least to me.

When you do work on that Project again, however you do it, do watch for any gap in the Video stream. If there is a gap, in a lower Video Track, make sure that it is covered, 100%, by a Video Clip above.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 27. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                                              aaron7188 Level 1

Bill,

You are correct, I shifted the project from Video Track 1 & 2 up to 2 & 3 and it didn't make a difference.  When I have time I will start changing things here and there and make attempts to Burn to Folder to find the culprit.

One question though ... how do i create a black video clip I can use as filler between video tracks on PE9?

Aaron

• 28. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Aaron.

In the Project Panel, go to the New Icon. In PrE, I think that it is in the upper-right. When you click that, you will get a drop down menu, and choose Black Video. This will come into the Project Panel, at the Duration set in Edit>Preferences. Don't worry about the Duration, as you can easily alter that to suit - either click-dragging on the head, or tail to shorten, or lengthen it, as needed. You can use that an unlimited number of times, as you will just be adding Instances of it on the Timeline, and each can have different In & Out Points.

As I always use a 02 sec. Black Video to start and end each Timeline, I will immediately alter the In & Out Points in the Source Monitor, and then Rename that Clip to "02 sec BlackVideo." Though that is the most common usage for me, I can still adjust that up, or down, for each Instance.

Remember, if you place that Black Video above another Clip, it will cover that lower Clip, and all you will see is black.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 29. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a look at the New Item Icon, from PrE 4.0. It should be almost identical, but its exact location might have changed, in later version:

New_Item_Icon.png

You can also create Color Mattes, Bars & Tones, etc. from the New Item Icon.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 30. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                                                    aaron7188 Level 1

Bill,

I found the Black Video clip.  I hardly ever use the New Items (even in the older versions of PE) so it took me awhile to remember where they were at. 

Anyway, the struggle continues ...

Test #4-

I took my project and added black video in any blank spots in the timeline ensuring that there is video of some kind everywhere, and made sure the rendering line was a steady green across the project without any gaps (in previous versions of PE this didn’t matter).

Burn to Folder-stuck at 2%

Burn to DVD-stuck at 5%

In both cases it locks up the application and I have to close and re-open PE9

Test #5

I then took my project and removed all the Fade In Video and Fade Out Video edits on each of the clips.

Burn to Folder- stuck at 2%

Burn to DVD- stuck at 5%

The following shows the Burn In Progress stuck at 2% and I usually have to force it to shut down;

error.png

This is the timeline as it stands now for my project.  Any other suggestions on what could be causing the hang up when I attempt to Burn to DVD and Burn to Folder?

timeline.png

• 31. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                                                      nealeh Level 5

This is tough!

Try

• Convert your audio files on Audio 1 and Narration from MP3 to PCM 16-bit 48kHZ (as WAV files) using something like the free software Audacity.
                                                                      • Put the WAV versions of Audio 1 on Audio 2.

• Put the WAV versions of Narration on Audio 1.

The reasons to try this are that :

• PRE works natively with PCM 16-bit 48kHZ - so converting the MP3's outside of PRE removes one potential problem.
                                                                      • PRE occassionally fouls up when audio is put on the Narration and Soundtrack lines (crazy!).
                                                                      • Doing the swap from A1 -> A2 and Narration to A1 will prevent you needing to do too much reworking of your mixes.

Cheers,
                                                                      --
                                                                      Neale

• 32. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                                                        aaron7188 Level 1

So ...

Instead of trying to convert .mp3 files to .wav files, I removed the audio files completely.

Guess what?

Same results.

The Burn to Folder was unsuccessful.  It got stuck at 2% and I eventually had to force the software to shut down.

Aaron

• 33. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                                                          nealeh Level 5

Is it only this project that is causing the error? If so I can only hazard a guess that the project file (the .prel one) has been corrupted somehow. For a quick and dirty test, open a new project and drag all your clips to it. If the preset is right there should not be any green or red lines across the top of the timeline. Then burn to folder and see if that works.

If it does then you just could grunt and rework the project, adding back your audio and other assets. Or if you want to understand the problem, add them back a few at a time and see which on of them (if any) breaks the project.

Note that File> Save As... or File> Save a Copy... should be your friends here. If you create a fresh project file using one of the copy features, and then subsequently find the offending clip if there is one, you do have a working project to go back to.

If none of this works then time for you to contact Adobe Support I think.

Cheers,
                                                                          --
                                                                          Neale

• 34. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                                                            aaron7188 Level 1

Neale,

My originial post in this discussion did not come until after I tried pasting the timeline into another project.  In fact, I have re-created this project 3 times and after the third time, I posted the question in this thread as I was puzzled.

If you look at my previous posts, I have also tried just editing brief video clips and added transitions, edits, etc. hoping to find the cause of the issue.  So far, I have not found the one thing that is causing the problem, yet I know Burn to Folder and Burn to DVD DO work since my tests have reveal that it can be successful.

This is just bizarre!

• 35. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Aaron,

About the only thing that I can suggest is to start with a clean slate - New Project. Do not Copy and Paste from the older one, with a utility like ClipMate, but Import those Assets, and assemble things as they need to be, using Black Video, where necessary. Along the way, test a Burn to Folder, just to make sure that something has not gotten sideways again.

I will speculate that something, that is not being noticed, went wrong, and is causing the issue.

As for the MP3's, I feel that it's always a good idea to convert those to PCM/WAV, prior to Import. Many work just fine, but many do not. I take those out of the picture, but just converting ALL to WAV first. That has worked 100% of the time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 36. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                                                                aaron7188 Level 1

I FOUND THE SOURCE OF THE PROBLEM ...

I continued to run a battery of tests to determine what the source of the problem was including but not limited to ...

• running a black clip on Video Track 1 under everything
                                                                                • removing clips, titles, audio,
                                                                                • video clips only

Then, I removed the SCENE MARKERS but kept the menu.

IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!

This explains why I was able to run successful tests earlier in this thread with just the video, then the titles, etc.

It also explains why I was able to export the files for playing on the computer (this didn't require the menu or scene markers).

Now the question is why adding scene markers to a project would prevent the project from Burning to DVD and Burning to Folder.  Are there any rules as to where the scene markers can or can't be placed?

Aaron

• 37. Re: Burn In Progress stuck at 5%
                                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Aaron,

There are a couple of considerations, with Scene Markers, such as they cannot be too close together. There is a minimum Frame distance, but do not recall it offhand. I am sure that others can. There are probably some more specifics of Do's & Don'ts, and they will likely be shared.

Have to say that I seldom use any Scene/Chapter Markers, so am anything but an expert on them.

Good luck, and glad that you found the culprit(s).

Hunt