10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2011 5:58 AM by digitlman

Why does making a DVD (Encore) from Premiere Pro ruin my footage?

RFDPiper Level 1

Hi,

This is my first time using Adobe video products, and I'm trying to put my video on DVD. I'm using Adobe Production Premium CS5.

The video itself was filmed with a Canon Vixia HG20 AVCHD cancorder. The camera records at 1920x1080 using MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 compression (by the way, I don't know what any of that means). I know that there a lot of presets (AVCHD, DV-NTSC, HDV, etc), and I've tried them all (I also don't know what they mean).

The problem I'm having is that when I try to play them back after buring a DVD, the video is of such horrible quality that it looks like the footage was filmed using a 10yr old cell phone (no joke!).

All I'm doing is:
      -Opening Premiere Pro
      -Selecting one of the presets (I've tried a bunch of diferent ones)
      -Importing my footage
      -Using Dynamic Link to send it to Encore
      -Then making the DVD in Encore

Then when I try it out on my big HD TV, the quality is absolute GARBAGE.

What can I do?
        • 1. Re: Why does making a DVD (Encore) from Premiere Pro ruin my footage?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, the first thing to address is the Sequence Preset.In CS5, Import your footage into the Project Panel, and drag the first Clip to the New Icon, to let PrPro set the Sequence Preset. That will get you started with what you are producing.

Next, if you are down-rezzing to SD (Standard Def) from HD (High Def) material, the quality WILL go down, from what you see in HD.

Then, if you are judging that quality on a computer with a high-rez monitor, it will never look good. One should judge SD material on a calibrated CRT monitor. The next best test is to produce a DVD, and play it on an up-rezzing BD player to an HD TV, if that is your target audience.

With HD material, you will be much more satisfied if you do not down-rez your footage to SD, and instead produce a BD in Encore. Is that not a possibility?

Also, how are you getting the footage from PrPro to Encore for authoring? ADL (Adobe Dynamic Link) will get you the best quality, but you are still down-rezzing, and that is not the ideal workflow, or output.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Why does making a DVD (Encore) from Premiere Pro ruin my footage?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Since you don't know what anything means, you need to do some reading

CS5 User Guides - online and PDF (see link in upper right corner at individual pages)
            http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2010/08/help-documents-for-creative-suite-5-pdf -and-html.html

Also read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0 where I talk about going from AVCHD to SD DV AVI and then to DVD

• 3. Re: Why does making a DVD (Encore) from Premiere Pro ruin my footage?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

(Sigh!)

Premiere Pro is a professional product intended for professional use.  It's not a bad idea to have some kind of formal education or training before using it.  For those who haven't the time, money or inclination, there are a host of consumer applications designed for the untrained.  I generally recommend one of three options in situations like this

1. Become a professional.

2. Hire one.

3. Use other software.

• 4. Re: Why does making a DVD (Encore) from Premiere Pro ruin my footage?
                SFL46 Level 3

Are you sure the Canon HG20 outputs 1920 x 1080?  I ask because the HV30 and other similar canon handycams actually record 1440 x 1080.  This mismatch between your footage and the sequence preset could cause image degradation.  If you are sure, nevermind.

• 5. Re: Why does making a DVD (Encore) from Premiere Pro ruin my footage?
                  Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

According to the manual, the HG20 records at 1920x1080 only in MXP or FXP mode.  Otherwise, it records at 1440x1080.  The default mode is SP, which records at the 1440x1080 resolution.

• 6. Re: Why does making a DVD (Encore) from Premiere Pro ruin my footage?
                    RFDPiper Level 1
                    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

JSS1138 wrote:

(Sigh!)

Premiere Pro is a professional product intended for professional use.  It's not a bad idea to have some kind of formal education or training before using it.  For those who haven't the time, money or inclination, there are a host of consumer applications designed for the untrained.  I generally recommend one of three options in situations like this

1. Become a professional.

2. Hire one.

3. Use other software.

Guess what?  I checked with the Adobe authorities and it turns out that it IS ok to teach yourself Premiere Pro... which I have.  Just needed some help with some format lingo.  One recommended resource for instruction is, take a guess... the forums.  If you don't want to part of a knowledge sharing community, perhaps you should stay off the forums.

Thank you to everyone else though.

• 7. Re: Why does making a DVD (Encore) from Premiere Pro ruin my footage?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Don't worry. That is just Jim's way of saying, "welcome to the forum."

Good luck, and let us know exactly what mode you chose, and what the output files' Frame Size is.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Why does making a DVD (Encore) from Premiere Pro ruin my footage?
                        Mortimer IOU Level 2

The forums are a great way to get help -- for beginners and for experienced users. Plus there are the many tutorials now available on Adobe TV and other sites.

RFDPiper wrote:

Guess what?  I checked with the Adobe authorities and it turns out that it IS ok to teach yourself Premiere Pro... which I have.  Just needed some help with some format lingo.  One recommended resource for instruction is, take a guess... the forums.  If you don't want to part of a knowledge sharing community, perhaps you should stay off the forums.

Thank you to everyone else though.

• 9. Re: Why does making a DVD (Encore) from Premiere Pro ruin my footage?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          turns out that it IS ok to teach yourself Premiere Pro

I've no quarrel with that.  The Help file is an excellent resource for doing so.  My point is that you should do so BEFORE you start using it.

When you turn 16, do you get behind the wheel of a car without knowing first where the controls are and what they do?  Of course not.  This is no different.

Learn first, then do.  If you skip the first step, you will have a much harder time of things.

That's all I was trying to say.

• 10. Re: Why does making a DVD (Encore) from Premiere Pro ruin my footage?
                            digitlman Level 1
                            function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

RFDPiper wrote:

Hi,

This is my first time using Adobe video products, and I'm trying to put my video on DVD. I'm using Adobe Production Premium CS5.

The video itself was filmed with a Canon Vixia HG20 AVCHD cancorder. The camera records at 1920x1080 using MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 compression (by the way, I don't know what any of that means). I know that there a lot of presets (AVCHD, DV-NTSC, HDV, etc), and I've tried them all (I also don't know what they mean).

The problem I'm having is that when I try to play them back after buring a DVD, the video is of such horrible quality that it looks like the footage was filmed using a 10yr old cell phone (no joke!).

All I'm doing is:
                            -Opening Premiere Pro
                            -Importing my footage
                            -Using Dynamic Link to send it to Encore
                            -Then making the DVD in Encore

Then when I try it out on my big HD TV, the quality is absolute GARBAGE.

What can I do?

Well first off you should understand the dvd IS garbage... 720x480 mpeg2 is horrible ancient technology, especially when you are used to 1080p mpeg4 quality video.

that being said you did not mention a couple of other issues: how long is your video? if you put 4 hours of footage on a single layer dvd it will be horrible looking. what bitrate did you use for the dvd? you would normally not want to put more than an hour of footage on a single layer dvd, DVD can handle up to 10Mbit of data so typically you would want to run 60 minutes or less with a 9mbit CBR setting for your video. in encore you can right click on the file in your bin and click transcode settings and change that.

Another issue is most likely that your using widescreen HD source material which means your dvd is letterboxed or anamorphic instead of the native dvd 4:3 format. you are actually only using part of the screen and getting an effective roughly 720x330 resolution (getting closer to that 10 yr old cellphone!)

even if your doing an anamorphic dvd your net resolution  output is still very low.

assuming you have authored the disk properly and set your dvd player and tv set to properly show you your full screen 16:9 video. Now we have the other issue, your "BIG HD TV" If you are taking this video and blowing it up on your 55" lcd tv then it is REALLY going to look horrible. your just stretching low quality video out too large as well as the debatable fact that most lcd tv's really do not handle ntsc resolutions very well. And mpeg2 artifacting looks even worse on them then a regular small crt. also what is your dvd player connection? composite? svideo? component?  progressive scan?

so in the end your 720x330 rez with obsolete mpeg2 compression stretched out to a large tv is well equivalent to 10 yr old cellphone video...

btw my cellphone shoots 720P HD video with mpeg4 compression that blows a dvd away...