14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2011 5:02 PM by the_wine_snob

Contemplating DSLR vs Video Camera Purchase

junior166

Hello,

I have been looking for my next upgrade to a new camera. I own a Panasonic DVC30 Prosumer MiniDV camera. But waiting for the entire playback for capture is to long for me. You know what they say, time is money. So I have been looking at Canon's DSLR HD video camera's Rebel T2i, 5D, 7D, 60D ( I hear that these are the new way to go to shoot Documentaries and other filming) or just go with a dedicated video camera like Panasonic. I hear that there is a problem with these DSLR H264 files when importing to Premiere Elements 8 and up. This I don't understand because I have a Point & Shoot Samsung TL-220 w/ 720p HD video and uses H264 files and the videos I produce with this camera when on vacaton or out and about are outstanding for a small camera. I have no problem importing and inserting to timeline and finishing my final DVD movies with all kinds of customizing for viewing. This would mean that I wouldn't be able to use Premiere to do any future projects if I go the DSLR way. Can anyone give me some imput on this matter before I make my purchase.

Thanks

Junior

• 1. Re: Contemplating DSLR vs Video Camera Purchase
          Ted Smith Level 3

Have you looked at the SONY CX series?

I have a CX350 that gives outstanding results in 1900x10801. There are more expensive models with proper viewfinders for a little more

The anti shake is almost as good as one of those stabilizer frame gadjets the pros use.

The picture quality in reasonable light as good as you see on broadcast TV and skin tones very realistic, I think considerably better than any Panasonic..

Even though you may not be producing a final product in standard resolution, it is a good idea to shoot in full HD maximum res because you can zoom in and crop without sacrificing too much quality.

For example I recently shot a stage show on mostly full screen across the width of the stage. During editing I was able to cut to a zoomed in and repositioned view to look like I had a second camera taking mid closeups. On a DVD you couldnt see the difference in quality.

Using solid state memory only you can copy any clip across to your computer as easily as if it was on an external hard drive. No Hard drive or tape to fail!

32gb plug in memory cards are available if you need lots more storage

• 2. Re: Contemplating DSLR vs Video Camera Purchase
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements 9 includes codecs and project settings for Canon D Series DSLRs. It might be worth test-driving it with one of those models.

• 3. Re: Contemplating DSLR vs Video Camera Purchase
              junior166 Level 1

I guess I didn't make myself clear.  I am not looking to upgrade past PreE 8 any time soon, I just got it late last year. And as for the camera purchase, I am considering only Canons for HDSLR  or Panasonic Prosumer Camcorders mentioned in my last post. Also I was asking what are the problems with the HDSLR camera files when importing into Premiere 8? I understand there are codec to support PreE 9, but only want to know the technical end of the problem with the files when importing. And also mentioned in last post my Point & Shoot Samsung uses the same 720p H264 files as those HDSLR cameras, is there a difference with either of the 2 files.

Thanks

Junior

• 4. Re: Contemplating DSLR vs Video Camera Purchase

Version 8 is rather limited in the number of camcorder formats it can work with.

I would only recommend using miniDV, HDV or AVCHD camcorder video in a version 8 project. You could well have problems using video from a DSLR or a pocket MP4 camcorder.

The best new feature in version 9 is those added project settings and codecs!

• 5. Re: Contemplating DSLR vs Video Camera Purchase
                  junior166 Level 1

That is my point about this post. My Samsung Point & Shoot are MP4 files, and I have no problem importing to PreE 8 (making amazing movies), and that of the HDSLR's on most cameras (Canon's) are mostly MP4 files as well, that is what I'm trying to understand about this whole thing here. So let me understand what you are saying, that regardless that they are both MP4's but an MP4 from an HDSLR camera have different codecs within the MP4 format and I will end up with problems during editing in PreE 8? am I to understand this is what you mean?

Junior

• 6. Re: Contemplating DSLR vs Video Camera Purchase

Yes, that is often the case.

For instance, Flip camcorders record to MP4s, but these MP4s use a codec called 3ivx, so people were going nuts trying to edit it. At least until Adobe created a project setting for it in version 9.

AVCHD is a form of MP4 (in that it's H.264), but it has some unique indicators that make it unlike typical MP4s.

If it's working for you, then don't worry about it. But a lot of folks are assuming all MP4s are created equal (just as there are people who think all AVIs or all MOVs are the same) and can't figure out why one camcorder's video can be edited in Premiere Elements and another can't.

• 7. Re: Contemplating DSLR vs Video Camera Purchase
                      Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

Steve of course is right ,the files from a Canon 5 D Mark II a HDSLR for instance are H.264mov at 1920 x1080p and are extremly large and recorded at 38.5 mbps to CF, the speed and size of a consumer camcorder on a SD card @ h.264 may have been recorded at say 12 mbps with much less data . The difference between a consumer camcorder and professional or pro consumer unit in codec info can be quite large. The difference in quality is impressive.

Saying that, the amateur Premiere Elements 4 , does handle H.264mov at 1920x1080 and will easily edit and Export to Professional Tape or H.264 or HDV/mpeg-2 Blu-ray., I imagine Elements 8 or 9 will do the same. You will need a computer specified to Adobe's minimum specifications to do this. The older Professional Premiere Pro 1.5.1 cannot handle H.264mov , you must transcode to 1440 x1080i HDV/mpeg-2 avi for professional tape Export and it will not burn to Blu-Ray although CS5 will but, you will need a i7 64 bit Computer.

Good luck.

Ps. Bill has got me out of a deep hole at times and is worth listening to.

Message was edited by: Bob Dix

• 8. Re: Contemplating DSLR vs Video Camera Purchase
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Perhaps some info in the links to DSLR workflows in this ARTICLE will be of use.

Before PrE and PrPro added DSLR Presets, the workflow was just a bit different, and several considerations are mentioned.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Contemplating DSLR vs Video Camera Purchase
                          junior166 Level 1

Ah yes, I understand now, those are the information I was looking for the technical part. When I ask questions I'd like to know a little more than just the simple answere. Thank you all for your amazing knowledge. Well, now I have to consider what to do about my purchase. My next post will be why does Adobe keep making new vesions of PreE XX without fixing any of those crazy fixes it needs before moving to the next new version. ....LMAO.....

Thanks All

Junior

• 10. Re: Contemplating DSLR vs Video Camera Purchase

Hi Junior,

It is the advance in computers I think, Premiere Elements 4 was so advanced for it's time it is surprising how well it works on a i7 64 bit or an NT 6 Multi processor, or even a Pentium 4 mulit-precessor with hyper-threading ; PE 6/7/8/9 should be better ? My grype is not with the Adobe Products it is the sub-standard phone service and internet in Oceania .

• 11. Re: Contemplating DSLR vs Video Camera Purchase
                              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>making new vesions of PreE XX without fixing

Go to Premiere Elements Updates http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=101&platform=Windows and look at the update history

Adobe makes very few updates to PrElements... they come out with a new version with new features

• 12. Re: Contemplating DSLR vs Video Camera Purchase
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Junior,

PrE is basically on a 12 month schedule (PrPro is about18 mos.), and historically, there have been few updates/patches. PrE 3.0 got 3.0.1 (hope that I got that number right), to update to Vista, which was released after PrE 3.0, and caused some issues. PrE 4.0 had not updates. There was no PrE 5, or 6, as by the release date, PSE had progressed to PSE 6.0, and there was confusion between the PrE & PSE version numbers. Adobe issued PrE 7 and PSE 7 together. Do not recall any update to PrE 7.0. PrE 8.0 was released, and immediately people began having issues with nVidia cards, and their new drivers. Soon, the same could be said for ATI/AMD graphics cards and drivers. Adobe issued PrE 8.0.1 to address those graphics card issues and make a few other changes. PrE 9.0 was released.

Personally, I find that the 18 mo. life-span, like with PrPro, is a better way to go. However, PrE and PrPro are aimed at different audiences, and there is a big disparity in their prices, and capabilities. For PrPro CS5, there have been 3 updates issued, and I highly anticipate a 4th any day now. Until PrPro CS4, there were not that many updates to the program also. My PrPro 2.0 was never updated, and I think that CS3 only had one. CS4 had 3, and that is where we are with CS5, but then it was a total rewrite to full 64-bit, and one can anticipate that there would be little issues to address, with such a total overhaul.

Now, I still have PrE 4.0, and for my uses, it's fine. I use PrPro much more often. I will be upgrading to PrE 9, or perhaps PrE 10, depending on how quickly I replace my laptop with a Win7-64 unit, just for CS5. I will mainly do that, just so that I can stay current with PrE, for this forum. Now, all my screen-caps for demo purposes, have to have a disclaimer, as the look, and some of the locations have changed over PrE 7 thru PrE 9. This can cause confusion with people, looking for images that match their display 100%, and are not familiar enough to "read between the lines," and interpolate to their newer versions. Same thing in the PrPro forum, as I can only show images from 3 versions ago, and some people there get lost.

Though I find PrE 4.0 to be a rock-solid performer, if I had DSLR footage, I would definitely upgrade to PrE 9. Having the exact Preset to start, would be "worth the price of admission."

It is great that you are doing your research in this matter. I feel that you will get better, and more useful info here, than reading every ad that Adobe has done on PrE.

With heavily compressed material, either the AVCHD version of H.264, or other flavors of H.264, I cannot stress enough, that one needs a stout computer, and it needs to be first tuned up, and then one should strongly consider setting it up for an editing session. All flavors of H.264 require a lot of CPU horsepower, and for any video editing, having a 2x, or better, 3x HDD setup, and plenty of RAM, makes life so very much better. Trying to edit that footage with a marginal system is painful, at best.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Contemplating DSLR vs Video Camera Purchase

Hi Bill,

That was good stuff , just as well someone is working on it all, I too still

use PE 4 but, Premiere Pro in general is easier to use.

• 14. Re: Contemplating DSLR vs Video Camera Purchase
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    but, Premiere Pro in general is easier to use.

Bob,

I feel the same way, but try to whisper those words around here...

Hope that you are in a place in OZ, that needs the rain. Some spots do not want to hear that word, and with good reason. We actually had light sprinkles here, in the High Sonoran Desert, and can almost always use every drop - think the Gibson Desert, but with big cacti.

Take care,

Hunt