9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2011 10:09 PM by Jess 2011

Build Review Please

Jess 2011

I am a first time builder and have been studying this forum (great contributors here) for guidance on building a CS5 Premiere compatible system.  The components (my proposed system below)  are familiar as much has been gleaned from proposed systems from others.

I initially ran eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro v 2.5 using a 750W power supply but was right up against the limit.  I wanted to leave a bit of room for an additional hard drive or two in the future as well as another 12Gb of memory so it put me up to an 850W PSU.

In addition to the advice given on this board I read “Building the Perfect PC” (O’Reilly) 2011 edition and their editing system build is similar to suggested builds on this board.  It seems like a good resource – especially for a first timer like me.

A couple questions – it looks like the i7 comes with a heat sink and fan, yet builders are including aftermarket CPU fans in their builds – are the included fans inadequate/noisy/problematic?  Also, I see several competing brands for the video card, is MSI a better build than others?

Please look over the list below and advise if you see any incompatibilities (like does the PSU fit in the case).

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W Power Supply

ASUS Sabertooth X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

Noctua NF-P12-1300 CPU Cooler and Case Fan

(3) CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

MSI GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) N470GTX Twin Frozr II Video Card

Boot - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 320GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

(3) SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders

Comments are appreciated, Thanks!

• 1. Re: Build Review Please
          Harm Millaard Level 7

You have done your homework well. No comments on any of the components. The PSU will fit easily, so you need not worry.

The reason most people go for a third party CPU cooler is that is lowers the temperature by several degrees C under load and you are probably aware that temperatures have a huge impact on the longevity of a system, A second reason is that it gives one more headroom for overclocking. Your choice is very good.

You will have a very fast system. Congrats.

• 2. Re: Build Review Please
            Powered by Design Level 4

That RAM is very tall.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/20-233-141-TS?$S300W$

Will it work with the cooler ?

GLenn

• 3. Re: Build Review Please
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Probably not with the Noctua D14 without modding, but the U12 will probably work without modding. In the worst case you position the front fan (over the memory sockets) up a bit.

• 4. Re: Build Review Please
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>aftermarket CPU fans in their builds – are the included fans inadequate/noisy/problematic?

What Harm said about better cooling!

I do not overclock, but I bought a push/pull CPU cooler just to keep the CPU cool under load

I also added side fans to blow right on the GPU and motherboard - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694?tstart=0

If the prices hadn't been above my budget, I would have bought 3x4 memory instead of 3x2 - but I'm still happy, for the work I do, with what I have

• 5. Re: Build Review Please
                  Jess 2011 Level 1

Almost finished - need some help!

I bought the components, put it all together and it works.  I ran it through a burn in using BurnIn Test and all seemed well.  I did clean installations of all my application software (all programs run perfectly).  I then began to transfer the data from my old PC using a USB External hard drive.  I was able to transfer part of my data.

I am able to connect the USB External hard drive to my old Vista PC - it sees the drive and all contents.  I can add to it , delete, whathever (full functionality).

The problem is when I plug the USB External hard drive into the USB port on the the Win 7 Pro build, Win 7 does not see it (initially, I it did and I was able to transfer files).  At first, when I plugged in the USB Ext HD, autoplay detected it, it opened in windows Explorer and I was able to drag and drop files to my new system.

Now when I plug in the USB Ext HD, I see the indicator light go on that it is being accessed but autoplay does not start.  If I wait a 10 minutes or so, then start windows Explorer, the drive letter appears but when I click on it, windows Explorer stops responding.  the only way out is to disconnect the USB Ext HD - this frees windows explorer and I get a message that the drive (now no longer connected) needs to be formatted (when I check it on my Vista system, it reads fine, all files intact).

I experimented with a 1Gb USB thumb drive, same thing happened - not visible, hangs windows explorer.

I tried to unistalling the "mass storage device" USB drive (successfully) then reconnecting the USB Ext HD.  Win 7 re-installed the driver and indicated the device was ready for use.  However, when trying to access it, I have the problem described above.

So it seems I have some kind of USB problem - not sure if it is hardware or Windows 7 related.  It worked for a while but now it does not.  I could really use some help diagnosing my problem.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Build Review Please
                    Jess 2011 Level 1

Also, the other USB devices seem to work fine - keyboard, mouse, printer, wacom tablet.

• 7. Re: Build Review Please
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>wacom tablet

In various other Adobe fora (such as Acrobat) I have seen mention of a LOT of problems with that device

Unplug it and try again

• 8. Re: Build Review Please
                        Jess 2011 Level 1

Just tried that - it did not resolve the issue

.  thanks

• 9. Re: Build Review Please
                          Jess 2011 Level 1

I have found a temporary workaround - though I hope MS comes up with a fix soon. I reconfigured my BIOS as follows:

USB Functions: Enabled

NEC USB 3.0 Controller: Disabled

USB 2.0 Controller: Disabled

BIOS EHCI Hand Off: Enabled

Legacy USB Support : Auto

Basically, this give me USB 1.0 speed (I guess) but when I plug in either the thumb drive or the external hard drive, the devices are recognized and auto play starts.  I was able to transfer files at a painfully slow pace - 500 MB in 15 minutes - but it is better than nothing.  I also read on one of the MS Windows 7 Hardware compatibility threads that installing a PCI USB card did not encounter the same issues as the MOBO USB ports - I guess I'll try that too.

This is a major PIA but at least I can stop going crazy with system restores, rolling back drivers, etc.  If you come up with a better fix - please post it here too! thanks