5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2011 8:22 AM by bogiesan-gyyClL

Carousel Effect plug in?

mentlity Level 1

I need to create a similar effect as the one here with the revolving objects. I was experimenting with the Echo effect, I see now this is something more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvVXef6JzaM

Any help?

rd

• 1. Re: Carousel Effect plug in?
          bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

A "carousel" implies 3D, sophisticated parenting, and carefully researched expressions to make the animals go up and down. Boris and others make #D cube and sphere presets that plop many layers into a 3D primitive. They're worth the cost if you expect to do this kind of animation regularly. But you will benefit far more from learning how to build the basic system from scratch.

Could not see your video from behind my corporate firewall.

bogiesan

• 2. Re: Carousel Effect plug in?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There's no one click plug-in for this. You must arrange your layers in 3D space, use a 3D null as the parent for all the layers, then animate the rotation of the null.

Your target layers, the ones that pop to the center of the screen, must be animated individually. I'd guess that the example project involved about 40 hours work.

• 3. Re: Carousel Effect plug in?
              mentlity Level 1

Wow that long? I have a flash carousel that I'm able to rotate images almost the same way. But the images do not rotate their Z access only left to right. Was this done in another program (3d then imported in to AE?)

Rd

• 4. Re: Carousel Effect plug in?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, that long. There are a bunch of screen captures and a bunch of samples that come into frame. If you're really good at 3D AE's 3D space and you use a script you can distribute layers quickly, buy each Hero layer that moves into frame requires hand animation and that takes time go get right. If you've just using a fist full of existing images as the layers then you'll save the screen capture, resize, adjust for AE, and arrange part.

There are scripts that help you distribute 3D layers, there are other tricks, but replicating the example project exactly is going to take a fair amount of time.

• 5. Re: Carousel Effect plug in?
                  bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

mentlity wrote:

Wow that long? I have a flash carousel that I'm able to rotate images almost the same way. But the images do not rotate their Z access only left to right. Was this done in another program (3d then imported in to AE?)

Rd

Flash may be the production shortcut you need. Again, let me state I cannot see the sample movie but I can assume Rick's assessment of the amount of work is completely accurate.

AE's 3D abilities are not simple. I've never had to learn Flash so I have no idea if Flash supports lighting, shadows, and depth of field together with camera movement. While you may not need those attributes to sell your 3D scene, they are the price you pay for building 3D scenes in After Effects or, for that matter, in any of the more advanced 3D modeling systems.

bogiesan