6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2011 10:59 PM by Darren Hall

Help Premiere Pro to FCP

Darren Hall Level 1

Hi All,

this weekend five of us filmed some motor racing in South Africa. I used my Sony EX1R (1440x1080I 50) HQ the other guys used Panasonics AVCHD (1440 x 1080I) the problem is they cant read my cards on the FCP they are using.

What is the best way for me to export from Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 (windows) so they can use the footage with out any quality loss. This is urgent as the viewing is on Friday night (television). I am on my bike to ride 100km to pick up the cards and then go back home to try and convert.

help please.

regards

Darren

• 1. Re: Help Premiere Pro to FCP
          dradeke Adobe Employee

Darren,

The problem is that FCP doesn't read the files natively like Premiere Pro can.  They need to rewrap XDCAM EX footage into a .MOV format.  The best choice in your case (IMO) is to rewrap all of the footage in FCP as a .MOV and then import that directly into Premiere Pro for the edit.

The AVCHD that is being brought into FCP will be transcoded into ProRes of some flavor.  Again, as long as you have a current version of quicktime, you should be able to playback and edit those clips inside of Premiere Pro without difficulty.

Good luck.

Dennis

• 2. Re: Help Premiere Pro to FCP
            Darren Hall Level 1

Hi Dennis,

I think you have miss understood me,I have Premiere Pro CS5 and all works well. The editor for this job is working on FCP and they can't read the cards from my EX1R. I need to convert into a file format that they can use without loosing quality. What would be the best way to export from ME/PP to a external disk or onto dvd and what format, it is about two hours footage.

Darren

• 3. Re: Help Premiere Pro to FCP
              Colin Brougham Level 6
              The editor for this job is working on FCP and they can't read the cards from my EX1R.

That doesn't make much sense; FCP works with XDCAM-EX just fine. Is it just that they can't mount the cards on the Mac? If so, they need the SxS drivers (I'm assuming that's what you're shooting to) which are available on Sony's site.

If they don't want to do that, you could just copy the folder structure off the card to a hard drive, and then they would use Log and Transfer in FCP to navigate to the folder structure and "import." I say "import" because the Log and Transfer window will recognize the folder structure and the files, but will rewrap them to MOV on import.

Hope that helps...?

• 4. Re: Help Premiere Pro to FCP
                dradeke Adobe Employee

Colin nailed it.

Here's the link for SxS drivers for Mac http://www.sony.ca/promedia/drivers.htm

The FCP editor will have to use Log and Transfer to move the media over so that he can read the files.

Dennis

• 5. Re: Help Premiere Pro to FCP
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Also--and I'm not sure that you actually need this--but Sony provides their own FCP L&T plug-in for XDCAM: Log and Transfer Utility for Apple FCP Version 1.2

I believe the built-in L&T does everything you'll need, but this gives some expanded functionality, as far as I'm aware.

PS: Dennis, did we go through a wormhole or something, and pop out in Appleland?

• 6. Re: Help Premiere Pro to FCP
                    Darren Hall Level 1

thanks for all the help,

I will go and install the software and plugins and see what happens.

Darren