2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2007 9:54 AM by Applied CD

Send mail in a certain way

Level 7
      Hello:
      I need to send emails by groups including some magazine with Director, like
      magazine GamaSutra Daily.
      It seems like a web page inserted in the client mailing software (outlook
      Express,...)
      Can you tell me how to do this with Lingo, please?

Thank you very much

• 1. Re: Send mail in a certain way
          Level 7

"Anne" <anmalo42@lycos.es> schreef in bericht
          news:f5u5p7$nnf$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hello:
          > I need to send emails by groups including some magazine with Director,
          > like magazine GamaSutra Daily.
          > It seems like a web page inserted in the client mailing software (outlook
          > Express,...)
          > Can you tell me how to do this with Lingo, please?
          >
          > Thank you very much

Hey again Anne,

to send html formatted email, set the Content-type header to text/html, and
          fill the body of the email with HTML code.

To see how it works:
          Send yourself a HTML formatted message and view the full headers / source of
          the message.

There are some good tutorials on the web on this, search for send HTML mail.

Good luck,
          Richard.

• 2. Re: Send mail in a certain way
            Applied CD Level 1
            Hi Anne,

Do you want to send the email directly from the projector or are you just looking to trigger the user’s email client and possibly pre-populate the header and body?

Triggering the user’s email client and pre-populating the content is easy, just use gotoNetPage “mailto:email1;email2&cc=email3?subject=Subject%20Test&body=Body%20Test”

Where email1, 2, 3 are valid email addresses. If you’ve got BuddyAPI, baOpenURL works better because it doesn’t trigger the browser along with the email client. The problem with these approaches is that I don’t think you can overwrite the content-type header to send HTML. I could be wrong but you’ll have to do some research on mailto protocol parameters.

Sending email from a projector without an xtra is difficult (even with an xtra it’s tricky). We did a lot of research for a big project where users in a variety of corporate environments would send HTML formatted emails written dynamically by Director back to a central email address. Of the xtras we tested, DirectEmail Xtra came the closest to meeting our needs ( http://www.directxtras.com), it worked in about 95% of our test cases … problems arose when very restrictive IT departments using Microsoft Exchange Server closed off port 25 (the xtra has a method to switch ports but your mail server is unlikely to be listening to anything other than 25)

You’ve got several choices without an xtra, you can send an email string to an ASP script which in turn sends the email using CDONTS … works OK if you don’t need to deal with attachments, another option is to build a MAPI interface to Outlook, however, this option is riddled with difficulties. To start with, all of your users must have Outlook, further; we found the only stable implementation of MAPI was in Outlook Express 6,stability issues get worse (due to security protections) with more recent versions of Outlook. Microsoft claims Outlook 2007 has improved the situation but we gave up trying long ago.