6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2011 1:35 PM by the_wine_snob

Chromatic Aberration in Premiere Elements

Georges.

Hello,

does anyone know if we can correct Chromatic Aberration in Premiere Elements? I tried Color Replace but it didn't do the job.

Thanks !

• 1. Re: Chromatic Aberration in Premiere Elements
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not know of a direct way to correct this in PrE. Can you post a screen-cap of the problem, as there might be a treatment, that will address, or at least improve things.

Though it has a half-dozen Color Correction Effects, I am not sure that even PrPro can fully correct chromatic aberrations.

When induced by the lens, one can gain some control over a RAW still image in ARC (Adobe RAW Converter) plug-in for Photoshop and Lightroom, but that is JUST in still images, shot with Camera RAW.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Chromatic Aberration in Premiere Elements
            Georges. Level 1

Thanks for the reply,

I know how to correct it for a photo using chromatic aberration removal, easy once you get the hang of it, but I was hoping there were something similar for video, color replace seems like it should do the job, but it is not working well. Thanks !

CA.jpg

• 3. Re: Chromatic Aberration in Premiere Elements
              Robert J. Johnston Level 2

The channel mixer effect might work. In Katrin Eastman's book on "Photoshop Restoration and Retouching, Third Edition", she uses the "apply image" command to correct for strong chromatic aberration.  I found that whatever you can do with the apply image command, you can do with the channel mixer layer. The only problem with the channel mixer effect in Premiere Elements is there aren't the various blending modes. All you get is "addition" by default (I think it's addition). Anyway, you could try that. Don't know how you are going to mask out what you don't want to correct, but that's another problem.

• 4. Re: Chromatic Aberration in Premiere Elements
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Don't know how you are going to mask out what you don't want to correct, but that's another problem.

Perhaps doing a duplicate of the Clip, apply the Channel Mixer to it, and then apply a Track Matte, that effectively "masks" out the areas, that one does not wish to affect? Depending on that Track Matte had to change, it might be tough.

Another way would be to Export as a FilmStrip (FLM format) (if that option is still in PrE), and then do the corrections in PS, in basically Rotoscoping. There, one would have all of the controls and Masks available. Not sure if PSE can Import the FilmStrip as individual images, and then output them back as a FilmStrip.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Chromatic Aberration in Premiere Elements
                  Georges. Level 1

Thank you both for your answers, channel mixer looks very complex , but Bill's method is doeable, it would take a lot of time though, I might try it, was hoping there were an easier method like for photos, thanks !

• 6. Re: Chromatic Aberration in Premiere Elements
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

AfterEffects would probably have several methods that would help, and be easier, but if one did not already have it, it would certainly NOT be an inexpensive method.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes,

Hunt