14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2013 2:21 AM by jignesh_wai

RH 9 - Connect to Word

r.laviolette

I'm trying to generate Printed Documentation.  When I do so, .docx is not listed in the "Generate Word DOC" drop list.  When I do select .Doc, I get this message "The version of Microsoft® Word you are using has some known limitations with documents that contain a large number of list items (~1500). To avoid this problem, please download the latest Office 2000 service release (SR-2 or later). For more details, please see the online Help.".

I'm using Word 2010 (64-bit) on a Windows 7 (64-bit).

How can I fix this?

Thanks!!!

• 1. Re: RH 9 - Connect to Word
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

You are definitely using RoboHelp HTML rather than RoboHelp for Word?

Also you do mean the latest version of RoboHelp as in Adobe RoboHelp 9 (just released) rather than the RoboHelp 9 version released many years ago?

I ask because that message is something I haven't seen since using the above.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 2. Re: RH 9 - Connect to Word
            r.laviolette Level 1

Peter,

I didn't even install RH for Word.  I only use HTML.

Although I probably have the original version 9 disks, I downloaded this version from Adobe this morning.  My guess is that I should probably uninstall and re-install the software.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Rene.

• 3. Re: RH 9 - Connect to Word
              r.laviolette Level 1

My attempt to uninstall and re-install produced the same problems.

• 4. Re: RH 9 - Connect to Word

As I recall it was a message that could safely be dismissed then and I doubt it really is an issue now. Does everything work OK if you do that?

@petergrainge

• 5. Re: RH 9 - Connect to Word
                  r.laviolette Level 1

I decided to uninstall the 64-bit Office 2010 and install the 32-bit version.  That seemed to fix the problem.

I thought it was supposed to work with the 64-bit version of Office?

Rene.

• 6. Re: RH 9 - Connect to Word

Subsequently Googoohead posted this on another forum and got this response from Adobe.

Windows 7 64-bit OS supports both 32 bit and 64 bit applications. Legacy 32 bit applications run in 32 bit mode, called Wow mode. Due to Windows architecture restrictions, any 32 bit application cannot interact with a 64 bit application. Currently RoboHelp 9 runs at 32 bit in Wow mode on 64 bit Windows OS.  When RoboHelp (32 bit) tries to interact with Office 2010 (64 bit) it fails and RoboHelp thinks that Office is not installed.

In short, you can run RoboHelp 9 on a 64 bit system but like other applications that run in this way, they cannot interact with other 32 bit applications.

@petergrainge

• 7. Re: RH 9 - Connect to Word
                      MergeThis Level 4

So, the deal is this?

1. Currently RoboHelp 9 [only] runs at 32-bit in Wow mode on 64 bit Windows OS.
                      2. Further, any 32 bit application cannot interact with a 64 bit application.
                      3. Therefore, RoboHelp (32-bit) can only interact with Office 2010 (32-bit), whether on Windows 7 64-bit OS or not.

Sounds like Adobe should place this information in a prominent spot on their web site! It's unfair to have dozens or hundreds more forum threads devoted to clarifying this (virtually nobody actually does a search before creating a new post).

Good luck,

Leon

• 8. Re: RH 9 - Connect to Word
                        r.laviolette Level 1

Leon,

I totally agree!  Adobe specifically indicates that RoboHelp will work on Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit) but neglects to do the same for Office 2010.  I ended up spending 2 days determining that RH 9 doesn't work with Office 64-bit.

Adobe --- please correct the documentation so others don't have this same problem!!

Rene.

• 9. Re: RH 9 - Connect to Word
                          Jeff_Coatsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you can find it in the help shipped with the product you can submit additions/corrections through the commenting (I believe)

• 10. Re: RH 9 - Connect to Word
                            Gearoidin

Is this really still happening almost a year later? I just got a new PC from work and they installed 64-bit office. So now I got this error on trying to output printed documentation:

The version of Microsoft® Word you are using has some known limitations with documents that contain a large number of list items (~1500). To avoid this problem, please download the latest Office 2000 service release (SR-2 or later). For more details, please see the online Help.

This is unbelievably lame. I have Word 2010.

• 11. Re: RH 9 - Connect to Word
                              jignesh_wai Level 1

I am facing a similar issue with MS Office 2013. I am using Adobe Robohelp 9 and MS Office 2013 (32-bit).

• In Single-Source Layout pod, after a click on Printed Documentation, the below message appears:

1.jpg

In Single-Source Layout pod, if we right-click on Printed Documentation, click Properties, and then click Save and Generate. The message below appears:

2.jpg

Content inside the box: The version of Microsoft® Word you are using has some known limitations with documents that contain a large number of list items (~1500). To avoid this problem, please download the latest Office 2000 service release (SR-2 or later). For more details, please see the online Help.

Please suggest the solution.

Thanks

• 12. Re: RH 9 - Connect to Word
                                RoboColum(n) Level 5

Even the latest version of RoboHelp does not support Word 2013. You'll have to downgrade your Word version to one supported by RH9 (e.g. Word 2010).

• 13. Re: RH 9 - Connect to Word
                                  Jeff_Coatsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You realize that is a user-to-user forum, right? If you need Adobe’s attention, contact Support.

• 14. Re: RH 9 - Connect to Word
                                    jignesh_wai Level 1

We have the solution for MS Office 2013. Please see the link below:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5862016#5862016

• Have to install MS Office 2013 (32 bit)
                                    • In Single-Source Layout pod, right-click on Printed Documentation, click Properties, change Generate Adobe PDF to Generate Word DOC, and then click Save and Generate.