18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2011 8:56 AM by guidebail

MJPG issue in Premiere

dggibbons

I rencently recieved some video files from a client that were shot by an outside party.  whenever I try to import them into Premiere (or after effects for that matter) the video is blank white but the audio is fine. according to gspot it was encoded with a mjpg codec. I have downloaded both morgan and Mainconcept mjpg codecs and neither has worked. any suggestions would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: MJPG issue in Premiere
          Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Please post a screenshot of the gspot.

• 2. Re: MJPG issue in Premiere
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

If neither Morgan, nor MainConcept will work, then there is something odd with those files. Usually, with either Morgan, or MainConcept, MJPEG will edit fine.

Now, MJPEG is quite old, but was recently revived by Nikon, for use in their stills cameras, that also shoot video. Other mfgrs. have followed suit, but camera mfgrs. are horribly prone to fritzing with things, and creating proprietary CODEC's, based on more common versions.

If that happens to be the case, then the shooter might have to supply you with their camera's utility disc. You might get a proprietary MJPEG CODEC by installing that camera's driver, by a separate install from that disc, or maybe not until you install the included editing software from that disc. Were I a camera mfgr., and were I to tweak a CODEC, I would offer a pure, clean install for that CODEC, without the camera's drivers, or any other software. However, I am NOT a camera mfgr., and, like you, am at their mercy.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: MJPG issue in Premiere
              Colin Brougham Level 6

I suspect Gspot is wrong. Try using MediaInfo instead. Run an analysis of the file, and use the Text view to copy and paste the report here.

• 4. Re: MJPG issue in Premiere

Try using MediaInfo instead. Run an analysis of the file, and use the Text view to copy and paste the report here.

An even better idea (than posting the gspot).  But have you ever seen Gspot report mjpeg when it wasn't?

• 5. Re: MJPG issue in Premiere
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

But have you ever seen Gspot report mjpeg when it wasn't?

Nope. But then again, I don't use Gspot

• 6. Re: MJPG issue in Premiere
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I have never observed G-Spot missing the MJPEG CODEC. It does fall a bit flat on WMV's, and on some H.264 variations, but is spot on (no pun intended) with AVI, and MPEG, and historically, with MJPEG.

Now, it does miss the Adobe MainConcept CODEC's, in its Tables area, but that is due to Adobe's naming conventions, trying to hide the CODEC's, to preclude their being overwritten by other programs.

Just my observations,

Hunt

• 7. Re: MJPG issue in Premiere
                      dggibbons Level 1

this is what I recieved from both Gspot and Media Infomedia.jpg

• 8. Re: MJPG issue in Premiere
                        dggibbons Level 1

General

Complete name                    : D:\WPDE\Morning Show Anchors\Holly01.avi
                        Format                           : AVI
                        Format/Info                      : Audio Video Interleave
                        Format profile                   : OpenDML
                        File size                        : 80.6 MiB
                        Duration                         : 9s 343ms
                        Overall bit rate                 : 72.4 Mbps

Video
                        ID                               : 0
                        Format                           : JPEG
                        Codec ID                         : MJPG
                        Duration                         : 9s 326ms
                        Bit rate                         : 70.7 Mbps
                        Width                            : 1 280 pixels
                        Height                           : 720 pixels
                        Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
                        Frame rate                       : 59.940 fps
                        Color space                      : YUV
                        Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:2
                        Bit depth                        : 8 bits
                        Scan type                        : Interlaced
                        Scan order                       : Top Field First
                        Compression mode                 : Lossy
                        Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 1.280
                        Stream size                      : 78.6 MiB (98%)

Audio
                        ID                               : 1
                        Format                           : PCM
                        Format settings, Endianness      : Little
                        Format settings, Sign            : Signed
                        Codec ID                         : 1
                        Codec ID/Hint                    : Microsoft
                        Duration                         : 9s 343ms
                        Bit rate mode                    : Constant
                        Bit rate                         : 1 536 Kbps
                        Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
                        Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
                        Bit depth                        : 16 bits
                        Stream size                      : 1.71 MiB (2%)
                        Interleave, duration             : 933 ms (55.90 video frames)
                        • 9. Re: MJPG issue in Premiere
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Looks pretty standard. Just to verify: you have the 64-bit versions of the MJPEG codecs, right?

Another option: get MPEG Streamclip. It's free and no installation is required. Try opening the file there (it should open). If it does, go to File > Save As, and save the file as an MOV. You can leave the file name the same. This will rewrap the video in an MOV container without any transcoding and no quality loss. The rewrap should be pretty much instantaneous. Try importing that into Premiere. If it works, and you have a bunch of these, you can set up a batch rewrap by going to List > Batch List and adding all the files that way.

• 10. Re: MJPG issue in Premiere
                            JustinPayne

I'm having the same issue. I try to import AVI's videos off my Cannon camera, it won't play sound in Premiere. I tried a WMV I had and it's fine.

Here is the GSpot info.

BTW: Using CS 5.0.3

GSpot.png

On thing GSpot doesn't show that Premiere does is "8-bit Twos-complement - mono" for the audio.

I'm a total noob and still in the learning phase when it comes to Premiere. Although GSpot says there is "No Codec Required" for PCM Audio and Windows 7, and every other media player I have tried, has no issues playing sound & video, Premiere is just being difficult.

Now, GSpot would play the sound but wouldn't play the video when I did the "Test".

I also noticed, and this is probably obvious, but there is no audio waveform in the sequence pane.

Before I go trying converters, I thought I would see if anyone might have any other suggestions.

UPDATE: Ok, this is weird. I imported another AVI, taken with the same camera, and this one has audio with it, I check the properies of both files and they both appear to be the same except for the data rate. The non-audio files have a "Average Data Rate: 1.8 MB / second" where the one with audio has an "Average Data Rate: 1.6 MB / second".  Should that even matter?

• 11. Re: MJPG issue in Premiere
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

That came off a video camera?!  That is some very non-standard stuff there.  What model camera was it?

• 12. Re: MJPG issue in Premiere
                                Rallymax Level 2

Here are some instructions I posted on the step-by-step of opening of Motion JPEG source for EDIT on Windows.

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/308650-HOWTO-Edit-Motion-JPEG-(MJPG)-in-Adobe-or-even-W indows-Movie-Maker

NOTE: ffdshow is obsolete. Use ffdshow-tryout instead (it's also 32 & 64bit) http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

(the "tryout" doesn't mean that it's a trial etc so don't worry about that).

• 13. Re: MJPG issue in Premiere
                                  JustinPayne Level 1

Not a video camera but from a Canon PowerShot A620 using the video recording option. That's probably why you thought it was non-standard for a video camera.

• 14. Re: MJPG issue in Premiere
                                    JustinPayne Level 1

Thank, Rallymax. I'm looking at it now and it sounds like this is exactly what I'm looking for.

• 15. Re: MJPG issue in Premiere

Here are some instructions I posted on the step-by-step of opening of Motion JPEG source for EDIT on Windows.

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/308650-HOWTO-Edit-Motion-JPEG-(MJPG )-in-Adobe-or-even-Windows-Movie-Maker

NOTE: ffdshow is obsolete. Use ffdshow-tryout instead (it's also 32 & 64bit) http://ffdshow-tryout.sourceforge.net/

(the "tryout" doesn't mean that it's a trial etc so don't worry about that).

Thanks for providing this info. I am not tracking the Premiere forums consistently, but the usual answer in the recent past has been not to use ffdshow or programs that install codec pacs, and one of the paid mjpeg codecs (Morgan for example) was the codec of choice.

Can you comment:

Do you believe that reported problems are the result of users enabling too many of the codecs or particular ones that interfere with Premeire's?

Did ffdshow get a bad rap because it was being installed as part of klite?

• 16. Re: MJPG issue in Premiere
                                        Rallymax Level 2

>>Can you comment:

>Do you believe that reported problems are the result of users enabling too many of the codecs or particular ones that interfere with Premeire's?

>Did ffdshow get a bad rap because it was being installed as part of klite?

So - here's my 2c.

1: STAY AWAY FROM CODEC PACKS. They are potentially riddled with virus's. I'm not making any accusations but they are available everywhere and who knows what someone did to the original.

2: Digital Intermediate

Commercial codec packs:

CineForm NeoScene - native integration

AVID DNxHD     (free btw) Quicktime plugin - so you have to use .MOV containers

Open Source/Free

HuffyYUV Lossless (part of FFmpeg, kinda old)

Ut Lossless     (I just discovered it and LOVE it*)

*Windows Media Player 12 doesn't work with it but I don't care in my workflow. My hard disk isn't fast enough for Lossless 1080p30 from After Effect Movies but I want it lossless so Ut has been perfect.

3: Source Import

If you really need a codec to open a file (vs transcoding - yuk) ONLY use codecs that are available with source code and are well known in the codec community ( http://forums.videohelp.com , http://www.doom9.com )

This pretty much means only

FFmpeg-tryouts

>Do you believe that reported problems are the result of users enabling too many of the codecs or particular ones that interfere with Premeire's?

The ONLY codec(s) I have turned on in FFmpeg-tryouts are the ones missing.

For me that's Motion JPEG only. (FourCC MJPG)

I've never turned on ones that Premiere has native because I know that's a BAD IDEA. Adobe made and tested the integration so unless it's broken don't fight with it!

NOTE: Before you install something make sure you REALLY need it.

- Is the file extension right? That can throw off Premiere.

To see what's in a file my tool of choice is mediainfo.sourceforge.net

It's available as 32bit ("x86") and 64bit ("x64"). It's also integrated with File Explorer so I love that I can right click and see what the file really is. It will show you what the container really is as well as tell you what the video and audio codecs are (Wikipedia FourCC).

So let's say you ARE short a codec to decode a src file. Chances are it's covered by FFdshow-tryouts. As a developer of plugins I know how the pipeline works and there is nothing wrong with FFdshow-tryouts giving you import of files not natively supported by Premiere.

'glad to answer more questions if you have any.

Edward.

• 17. Re: MJPG issue in Premiere

Thanks, Edward. Interesting info.

• 18. Re: MJPG issue in Premiere
                                            guidebail

Morgan has just released a new 64-bit M-JPEG codec for Premiere and AE CS5 and CS5.5

http://www.morgan-multimedia.com/morgan/php/news.php