e.g. Up to date, Has been changed, ...

• 1. Re: Feature Request: Get Metadata Status
          pact software

I agree, that would be really helpful.

Paul

• 2. Re: Feature Request: Get Metadata Status
            DawMatt Level 3

Hi Rob,

I think this would be a useful piece of information to be able to query.  I'll be lodging a request for this.

I'm assuming you have raised a feature request for this? Posting threads in here title "Feature Request" is a way to guage interest in a feature, but the offical approach for lodging requests is to use the feature request form.  If you aren't doing this you are running the risk the features you are most keen to see won't make it into future Lightroom releases.

Thanks,

Matt

• 3. Re: Feature Request: Get Metadata Status
              areohbee Level 5

Hey Matt,

I sometimes post both places, sometimes only one. I *think* I posted this one on the official form too - did you say you did for sure?

Rob

• 4. Re: Feature Request: Get Metadata Status
                DawMatt Level 3

Hi,

I have logged a feature request and asked for it to be available in:

- catalog:batchGetRawMetadata

- catalog:batchGetFormattedMetadata

- catalog:findPhotos

- photo:getFormattedMetadata

- photo:getRawMetadata

You mentioned that you sometimes post feature requests in both places.  Do you post here to gain feedback about the request, or is it for some other reason?  Just trying to understand why there are so many feature request threads floating around in here.

Thanks,

Matt

• 5. Re: Feature Request: Get Metadata Status
                  areohbee Level 5

Eric Scouten said one time that the SDK forum was the place to report bugs and submit feature requests for the SDK, and he often responded to them. Both of those things have changed since then (its no longer considered the best place to submit SDK bugs/FRs, and nobody from Adobe responds on this forum anymore).

Sometimes I post here due to a brain malfunction, then follow up with the official form, when I think better, but sometimes I omit that follow up, figuring if Adobe doesn't bother to scan the SDK forum for FRs, so be it... I mean, its a small forum and the Feature Requests could be rounded up with a single search term, and they know the feature requests are there(here)... Also, the official form requires me to enter more stuff, and gives a narrow box, limited to 2000 characters for the main text, whereas the forum gives a wide box with a much larger character limit... I could go on but hopefully you're getting the idea...

PS - Sometimes I post here because I question my sanity, or so other users are aware of stuff, and/or to get juices flowing and get/give ideas, workarounds, ...

PPS - Sometimes I post on the official form and not here because I dont want to have to defend or explain myself to users, although this is much less of a problem on the SDK forum than the LIghtroom Forum proper.

PPPS - Sometimes I entertain the notion that if others chime in it might garner support...

PPPPS - Sometimes I post in both places to emphasize. Sometimes I do it again after a few months, if I'm feeling like squeaky wheel might get oiled. But sometimes I dont to avoid overload and dilution...

Cheers

• 6. Re: Feature Request: Get Metadata Status
                    DawMatt Level 3

areohbee wrote:

Eric Scouten said one time that the SDK forum was the place to report bugs and submit feature requests for the SDK, and he often responded to them. Both of those things have changed since then (its no longer considered the best place to submit SDK bugs/FRs, and nobody from Adobe responds on this forum anymore). ...  Feature Requests could be rounded up with a single search term, and they know the feature requests are there(here)... Also, the official form requires me to enter more stuff, and gives a narrow box, limited to 2000 characters for the main text, whereas the forum gives a wide box with a much larger character limit... I could go on but hopefully you're getting the idea...

I guess I tend to take a more pragmatic view about the feature requests I care about.  The Lightroom team is relatively small so I'd rather them spend more time extending or fixing the product, and less time trawling through the forums trying to elicit or clarify new requirements from us.  If they want us to use a defined process for submitting bugs and feature requests I care about then I'll use it.  Its better to spend a bit more effort now to get requests into their system so we have a chance of seeing them be addressed in later releases of the product.  To do otherwise is to risk them never being delivered.  I also try to make the request fairly specific so they can quickly determine what I'm asking for, what the impact will be on the code, and evaluate whether they'll do it.  e.g. I mentioned the specific methods I want to have access to metadata status, and why existing fields such as lastEditTime weren't an adequate workaround.

Essentially I want to make it as easy as possible for them to give me what I want.

areohbee wrote:

PS - Sometimes I post here because I question my sanity, or so other users are aware of stuff, and/or to get juices flowing and get/give ideas, workarounds, ...

PPPS - Sometimes I entertain the notion that if others chime in it might garner support...

Forums are about communication and community so these sound like good reasons to discuss feature requests in here.  I was more concerned that these posts were the "official" raising of feature requests (or bugs) with Adobe, which could lead to disappointment when the requests aren't considered when making changes to the product.

Matt

• 7. Re: Feature Request: Get Metadata Status
                      areohbee Level 5

Fair enough Matt. I think there is room for improvement in my "not always methodical" SDK feature-request madness..., but hopefully Adobe is taking some initiative too...