5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2011 4:13 PM by Andrew Yoole

sparkle stars

peter.hemphill Level 1

I made a background of the night sky using fracle and I need the stars to shimmer/sparkle.  I'm not sure how to achieve this.

• 1. Re: sparkle stars
          TimeRemapper Level 4

Create some type of sheen layer (possibly using fractal noise) and use a blurred copy of your stars as a track matte.

• 2. Re: sparkle stars
            bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

My usual contribution to simialr posts:

Atmospheric effects are chaotic. If your shot is long enough, any repetitive movement in your mask will be discernible. That may not be a problem. If you watch any animation that has large crowd scenes in it you will notice cycling.

bogiesan

• 3. Re: sparkle stars
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What specifically are you looking for? More like the fake camera glints, glow, atmospheric turbulence or just some generic brightness variation? The last could be done using a second instance of Fractal Noise using Multiply blendiung mode, turbulences would probably use Turbulent Displace with tiny settings. glints would require specific effects or multiple layers with glows and directional blur... Also keep in mind that most of that is actually camera artifacts or atmospheric disturbances and depending on your actual shot none of them may apply...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: sparkle stars
                peter.hemphill Level 1

the stars are basically tiny white dots against black.  I don't need anything super fancy, i would just like them to twinkle a little bit to give it more of a variety.

• 5. Re: sparkle stars
                  Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

TimeRemapper's post above is a good suggestion.

To break it down:

• Create a new comp, same size as your star comp.

• Add a solid.

• Apply Fractal Noise.

• Keyframe the evolution and/or transform properties so you have a fairly rapidly changing noise cluster.

• Add the Noise comp as a layer to the Star comp, immediately above the star layer.

• Set the star layer's Track Matte switch to Luma Matte.

• Refine the speed and scale of the fractal noise until you get the look you want.