6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2011 9:13 AM by Steve Grisetti

Lost Thumbnails-Inability to Reconnect or Read VOB and MPEG-4 Problems

rodmartel Level 1

Sorry to mix so much up into this, but

it all started when I wanted to IMPROVE performance by purchasing

a new HP. I had a computer geek service transfered data to the new computer and when I got home and started it up there was a series of problems that are wierd to say the least. Steve has helped in the past and a big thank you for that!

1) Many unconnected video files. The unconnected photos seems to reconnect with the UPDATE THUMBNAIL command.

2) Using Steve's previous advice I had converted many VOB videos using the MPEG STREAMCLIP program. I had then linked those AVI  files with my catalogue.

3) Now the only ones in the catalogue are the VOB files which will not update with a new thumbnail, which leaves me with a whole lot of "guess what this video file is?" blank thumbnails.

4) This is the strangest bug. On the MPEG4 files they are SELF STACKED and SELF DIVIDED in to over 20 stacked segments each!!

5) The VOB files play, but again....no thumbnails and the UPDATE  THUMBNAIL will not fix that.

6) When I the program tries to RECONNECT and starts searching, it eventually crashes the whole progam.

I have done everything Steve suggested: updates, etc and am using the newest updated version of 9.0.

Don't be afraid to talk down to me. I am fairly comptur literate, but get lost in too much jargon.

THANKS!!

• 1. Re: Lost Thumbnails-Inability to Reconnect or Read VOB and MPEG-4 Problems
          rodmartel Level 1

I  should add that all the dates on the videos have been reset to December, 2010 Where it got that date I certainly don't know?? Just on the  videos, NOT on the photos. On the top right hand corner of the vids with thumbnails it is showing a broken film icon, but those actually play.

Luckily and this may be a tip for those of you converting old home movies:

I had renamed those imported videos with the yearfirst and some details, so it gives me a place to start.

E.G. 1995OPA_Explains_Family_History_4012LH

Rod

• 2. Re: Lost Thumbnails-Inability to Reconnect or Read VOB and MPEG-4 Problems
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Does this new PC by any chance have Windows 7 on it? Remember that Windows 7 uses a completely different file structure system than XP, which could explain all the disconnected files.

It's also very likely that they just imaged your old PC files to your new PC, which is probably not the best way to keep your program files. You're much better off reinstalling the programs.

I'd also recommend dumping our old Organizer catalog and letting the program rebuild it. This way it will actively locate your media files rather than using the old catalog to try to find them where they used to be.

Which operating system is on your new machine? We'll need to know that in order to advise you how to force the program to re-create your catalog.

• 4. Re: Lost Thumbnails-Inability to Reconnect or Read VOB and MPEG-4 Problems

In Windows 7, you'll find the catalog in C:Users/All Users/Adobe/Elements Organizer/Catalogs. (In order to see these files, you'll first need to go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options. Then, under the View tab, check the option to Show Hidden Files, Folders and Drives.)

Just rename the catalog folder and the program will create a fresh catalog when you next start it.

• 5. Re: Lost Thumbnails-Inability to Reconnect or Read VOB and MPEG-4 Problems
                rodmartel Level 1

OK, here is what I did with 90% positive results:

Reminder: I had taken this in to am expert to convert all my stuff from an older computer.

1) I took my old computer out of the closet.

2) I performed a complete back-up of the catalogue from the old computer onto a new external drive.

3) I moved all my photos to the external drive.

4) I UNinstalled the Adobe Elements and Pre from my NEW computer and RE-installed them all from the disk.

5) I created a new catalogue name and brought in "converted" from the external drive.

6) I moved the photos folder from the external into the MY PICTURES folder on my new computer.

7) I launched the PSE and let it creat the new catalogue.

8) Everything came back (except ofcourse the items which were not backed-up). The tags came back. The dates came back and I had to update all thumbnails which worked......

EXCEPT

9) All the avi files play, but the VOB media has no thumbnails and the dates are all wrong.

10) When I go to play those video files, they DO play, just no thumbnails and dates are off.

Do in general, I am relieved, BUT i have my work cut out for me to reconvert all those VOB's to AVI.

ADVICE: when you go to someone to have your data migrated to a new computer, i.e "set up" the new computer, don't let them do the Adobe stuff. Do it yourself!

Of course a big thank you to you guys!

Rod

• 6. Re: Lost Thumbnails-Inability to Reconnect or Read VOB and MPEG-4 Problems

Sounds like you've got a very good solution going there, Rod!