2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2011 11:14 PM by c.pfaffenbichler

CS5 - Applying Actions to Select Part of Image

liv_duty Level 1

Hello,

I'm working in CS5. I'm new to actions and I would like to apply the action only to a specific part of the image. For example, for a portrait, I would like the action to apply to the background of the image, not necessary on the individuals face.

I'm not aware if there is a way to apply it to the entire image, then erase it from the areas I don't want it to apply, or if I lasso an area and apply it. I've tried it several different ways to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Liv

• 1. Re: CS5 - Applying Actions to Select Part of Image
          retouchMOJO

Liv, probably best to write the action in such a way that it copies the layer, applies "whatever", then pauses for user input. At which point you need to mask or select or use some  means to isolate. Then the action kicks back in to anything else you want.

• 2. Re: CS5 - Applying Actions to Select Part of Image
            c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

I would like the action to apply to the background of the image, not necessary on the individuals face.

As the differentiation of fore- and background of an image can be a convoluted issue (have you ever tried to clip the image of a curly-haired person from a background of shrubbery?), it does not lend itself to automation easily.

I'm not aware if there is a way to apply it to the entire image, then erase it from the areas I don't want it to apply

If you work with Adjustment Layers or Layer Masks in general the Masks can subsequently be edited easily.