2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2007 6:04 PM by phi2265

New Flex Developer needs advice...

dirtyhand
      Hey guys. I'm currently working for my University as a Web Developer; when I first started a couple of months ago, I had no idea Flex even existed. So when I got hired, I had to take a crash course of Flex 2 by checking the online tutorials and the adobe sites. So far I've done some small applications that used ColdFusion remoting, but now the project has grown bigger.

They want us to create a virtual classroom application in Flex, pretty standard stuff where teachers can create assignments, grade them, and students can log in and actually work on the assignments within the application. They also want other additional functionality.

The problem is that I have no experience using Flex 2 for such a big application, and I really have no idea where to start and how to layout the whole design. I know how to make simple applications with a couple of popups and components, but at this scale im really lost.

Can you guys suggest a good book that will lead me through a sample application at this scale (no simple exercises)? Is the Lynda.com training the best?

Thanks

• 1. Re: New Flex Developer needs advice...
          Level 7
          Flex 2 Training from the Source (Book) and yes, Lynda.com tutorials are done
          by David Gassner who is excellent.

Bill

"dirtyhand" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:f5el40$55n$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hey guys. I'm currently working for my University as a Web Developer;
          > when I
          > first started a couple of months ago, I had no idea Flex even existed. So
          > when
          > I got hired, I had to take a crash course of Flex 2 by checking the online
          > tutorials and the adobe sites. So far I've done some small applications
          > that
          > used ColdFusion remoting, but now the project has grown bigger.
          >
          > They want us to create a virtual classroom application in Flex, pretty
          > standard stuff where teachers can create assignments, grade them, and
          > students
          > can log in and actually work on the assignments within the application.
          > They
          > also want other additional functionality.
          >
          > The problem is that I have no experience using Flex 2 for such a big
          > application, and I really have no idea where to start and how to layout
          > the
          > whole design. I know how to make simple applications with a couple of
          > popups
          > and components, but at this scale im really lost.
          >
          > Can you guys suggest a good book that will lead me through a sample
          > application at this scale (no simple exercises)? Is the Lynda.com training
          > the
          > best?
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          >
          >

• 2. Re: New Flex Developer needs advice...
            phi2265 Level 1
            Look into FDS (Flex Data Services). It will let you connect to and interact with a database.. it's really great.