9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2011 1:19 AM by MTGAlberts

Reader X crashes after 30 secs with Protected mode enabled

Bannana fingers

Having just deployed Reader X to over 100 PC's via group policy I'm a little dishartened to find that Reader X crashes after 30 secs of being open when protected mode is enabled.

Current setup is as followed:-

Clients are XP SP3, Vista SP2 & Win7 (all crash)

Server 2003 R2 domain

Reader X deployed via MSI using GPO with a transform created using the Reader X customization wizard (only set to disable updates as I'll push these out via GPO also when available).

The problem occurs with standard domain users (doesn't happen if you use an admin account to login and run Reader X), once you disable the setting for "enable Protected mode at start up" and restart Reader X it doesn't crash. I've been reading also that the protected mode creats a sandbox environment that some AV products are currently having issues with, so I've also tested by removing my AV on a test client rebooting and running Reader X with protected mode enabled, the Pc will still crash, so that rules out my AV product.

After each crash the client logs an event in the application log

Event ID: 1000

Aource Application error

Description:

Faulting application AcroRd32.exe, version 10.0.0.396, time stamp 0x4cc5e97b, faulting module WININET.dll, version 8.0.6001.18999, time stamp 0x4ccfa98f, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0002387b, process id 0xd54, application start time 0x01cbc2ec89ab4cba.

Anyone any ideas on why this happens?