2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2007 4:40 PM by YossarianXOS

Create a "stock ticker" in Flex?

Jules_Winfield
      Hi all,

I've been a Windows developer for many years, most recently using.NET technology. I took the plunge into Flex 2 development with the ultimate goal of converting one of my major Windows applications to Flex. If I can pull it off I'll be a hero since my application would be available in users' browsers, even on non-Windows platforms.

Take a look at the header for my Flex-based application [the data isn't real -- it's just a prototype]. The URL is

flash.dsworder.com

I am a bit disappointed by my scrolling stock ticker at the top of the page. I wasn't really sure how to design a ticker so I just created a Label inside a black Canvas and moved the Label one pixel to the left on each screen refresh.

But the results are mediocre. The text seems to flash while moving. It's hard on my eyes. I'd like it to be smooth like what one might see on CNBC.

The one downside to using Flex instead of .NET WinForms is the lack of third party components. I've looked everywhere for a "ticker" component for Flex 2.0 and can't find one. There are plenty of Flash-based ticker components out there, but according to my Flex 2.0 introductory book, a Flex 2.0 project using ActionScript 3.0 cannot control another flash component that was built using an earlier version of ActionScript -- so alas, these flash-based ticker components are useless to me.

I've only been using Flex for a week now so I'm still going through the learning curve. Perhaps there's a more efficient approach to building this ticker? Or perhaps there's a Flex 2.0 ticker component out there that I've just missed?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David

http://flash.dsworder.com