10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2011 7:11 AM by the_wine_snob

to save with the same codec/bitrate of the opened video

Imbuter2000

I have a life-long  problem: every time I want to edit videos that I download from Youtube, I  spend a lot of time in trying to find the optimal export settings  (codec, bitrate, etc...) for saving the video without losing quality and  without increasing the file size.
      Many times I also fail to save without losing quality.

Is there a way to make it automatically set the same codec/bitrate etc. exactly like the original/opened file, preventing me to lose much time in finding the optimal  settings?

Why don't Adobe Premiere set the original codec/bitrate etc. by default when I edit a single video and save it?

• 1. Re: to save with the same codec/bitrate of the opened video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It sounds like what you want is a program that does "smart rendering" -- which means that it edits your video in its native format and then outputs it without re-rendering.

This is pretty likely impossible with the format you're using as your source video (whatever that format may be). You are, after all, downloading video from YouTube. It would be a lot more likely if, for instance, you were working with video from a miniDV camcorder.

What are you doing with the video you're editing? Are you sending it back to YouTube? Saving it to DVD? Showing it to your friends on your computer? It's likelhy there's an ideal Share format for what your final use is.

But your video is going to get digested, re-rendered and re-encoded in Premiere Elements (or pretty much any video editing program, depending on the format you're getting from YouTube). There's no way to send it through an editing program unchanged.

• 2. Re: to save with the same codec/bitrate of the opened video
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I think that you will find what you want in the Moyea product line. They have a half-dozen FVL editing and production programs.

As FLV's are a streaming delivery format, meant to be linked to embedded Flash players on a Web site, they are not really good material to edit.

I occasionally get handed FLV's, against my protests, and Import those into PrPro, with the Moyea FLV-Importer plug-in. It is not available for PrE, and as of PrPro CS5, does not work there either. However, PrPro CS5 does offer FLV Import.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: to save with the same codec/bitrate of the opened video
              Imbuter2000 Level 1

There are some programs for editing FLV videos without re-coding, thus keeping exactly the original quality. One example is this: http://www.exp-flv.com/flv-editor/
              However these programs only do very simple editing like trimming and joining, while I need fading transitions.

I have Adobe Premiere Elements and what I want to do is to download some videos from Youtube in FLV (codec H.264), extract only short parts (the best parts) from them and merge all these parts together with solid fade transitions. Finally I want to upload the produced video on Youtube again.

I currently can do all that with a Firefox add-on (that downloads the videos in FLV format) and AVS Video Editor, manually selecting FLV H.264 and a proper bitrate as saving format.It re-code the video in the process but since I use the same codec and bitrate as the source videos (they're all the same) the quality-loss in not noticeable.

My problems are these:

- I always have to manually check the codec/bitrate of the source videos before and for deciding what saving format to set and this is time consuming...
              - Adobe Premiere Elements (my favourite video editor) can't open FLV videos

Is there a way to solve these problems?

• 4. Re: to save with the same codec/bitrate of the opened video
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I really think this is the wrong program for what you're trying to do, Imbuter.

It's just not designed to do what you want to do -- and you're going to spend all of your time tweaking things and creating workarounds to force it.

You can not edit FLVs in Premiere Elements, and you can't edit the files you're getting from YouTube natively so that they aren't re-encoded when you output them.

• 5. Re: to save with the same codec/bitrate of the opened video
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I agree. That was why I suggested the Moyea line of FLV programs.

As for "Smart Rendering," that works beautifully in programs, that support it, say for MPEG editing, with one big caveat: Smart Rendering will work perfectly, where one is only doing Cuts and then Butting the pieces together again for Export. Whenever one does any form of overlay, say a Title, PiP (Picture in Picture), or even a Transition, the areas of overlay WILL need to be Transcoded, as new pixels will have to be assembled. Some find this out the hard way, when the quality of their Smart Rendered video changes at overlay Titles, and Transitions, and they can't understand what happened. For Cut & Butt, they are perfectly fine.

Hunt

• 6. Re: to save with the same codec/bitrate of the opened video
                    Imbuter2000 Level 1

Why don't the original rendering settings (the settings of the source videos) appear at least as default settings on export?

• 7. Re: to save with the same codec/bitrate of the opened video
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      Why don't the original rendering settings (the settings of the source videos) appear at least as default settings on export?

Because most people do not wish to deliver the majority of their videos in the default specs. of the original material.

Good luck, and did Moyea offer you anything useful?

Hunt

• 8. Re: to save with the same codec/bitrate of the opened video
                        Imbuter2000 Level 1

Most of the videos that I produce are just video mixes, plain combinations of multiple videos for the 99% (1% is for transitions or overlaid texts).

I want to (ignore the quality of that 1%  and) save that 99% with settings that keep the quality like the original without occupying more space on disk.

How can I find the fastest as possible the right export settings in Adobe Premiere Elements without using third-party tools?

• 9. Re: to save with the same codec/bitrate of the opened video
                          Ted Smith Level 3

I get good results converting the flv to avi with the AVS free converter,  http://www.pazera-software.com/products/flv-to-avi-converter/

Then I edit it as a normal avi file., sharpeneng it a little where required and correcting the picture levels.

I have produces some pretty good DVDs when shown on my big widescreen TV. remembering much of it is less than 300 lines

It it no problem to covert the edited AVI file it back to FLV and the result can look even better than the original.

Any further degredation is often much less than the original blurry pic you get from Youtube so ity doesnt look any worse

• 10. Re: to save with the same codec/bitrate of the opened video
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I would move away from PrE completely, as FLV is a delivery format, not meant to be edited, and PrE is designed to edit footage from a Video camera.

That was why I gave you the Moyea link. Was there no FLV editing program in their lineup?

Good luck,

Hunt