16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2012 9:32 AM by the_wine_snob

MPEG4

mgrace707

I saw MPEG4 loading when my Premiere Elements 8.01 was loading - why is there not a option to share/save my project as MPEG4?

Is there some other software from adobe that does?  maybe Premiere Elements 9?

• 1. Re: MPEG4
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There are several MP4 output options, depending on which device you're outputting your MP4s for.

For portable devices, like iPods and iPhones for instance, you'll find it under Share/Portable Devices.

• 2. Re: MPEG4
            mgrace707 Level 1

not looking for portable devices....looking for good quality for showing on LCD projectors to 9' x 12' screen

FLV seems to be the worst

then WMV 

so using MPEG  Preset NTSC DVD Standard

there is the option of MPEG1 and MPEG2 but no MPEG4.

• 3. Re: MPEG4
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

So I'm assuming that you're using a computer as your playing device for this file?

Well, you're working from video from YouTube, so there's no point in using a high-resolution file. It's not going to be better quality or a higher resolution than the original file.

But you can use the MOV preset for H.264 -- or even create a high-quality preset by clicking on the Advanced button before you share.

• 4. Re: MPEG4
                mgrace707 Level 1

No I am working from an original .wmv  the video is not very good quality so I keep the audio and pull in the PPT's which I have converted into tif and import,

then I want to save to the best quality I can that can run on someone's computer & LCD projector, also parts of this file is then uploaded to YouTube and websites

Every time I click on the advanced button my machine freezes, so I don't go there

'A 'Ohe Lokomaika'i I Nele I Ke Pana'i

No kind deed has ever lacked its reward

• 5. Re: MPEG4
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Aloha,

The crashing on the Advanced tab is not good.

Do you have the latest version of Apple's AT Player loaded? It's 7.6.9, and so far, runs well with my Adobe programs.

Besides being heavily used by PrE, it also installs the latest versions on Apple's QT CODEC's, including H.264.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: MPEG4
                    seasport

Did you ever get an answer to this?   I like the quality of the GoPro mpg4 files and would like to build shows and export as mpeg 4 on my MAC/PE10 in order to re-import later as seperate scenes on a larger production with a menu.   Can't see how to export mpeg 4 on anything other than low quality iphone/iPad device viewing.

There is an advanced option under creating computer files that enables selection of output to mpeg4 but it creates a .mov file not a .mpeg4 file.  ...very Quicktime specific unfortunately.

• 7. Re: MPEG4
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If you are starting with heavily-compressed H.264, and then plan to output those edited files, to be used in other Projects, I would recommend against using H.264 again, as there will be some quality loss.

For intermediate files, I like using a lossless CODEC, such as UT Lossless, or perhaps Apple's Animation or PhotoPNG in a MOV container. The files WILL be larger, but the quality will be maintained, and when Importing into another Project, that can be very, very important.

When one starts with H.264, then outputs to H.264, re-edits, and then outputs to any lossy CODEC, say H.264 BD for authoring a BD, it's like a FAX, of a FAX, of a FAX. Quality goes down with each generation.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: MPEG4
                        seasport Level 1

I take it from my question and your answer that H.264 and MPEG4 are the same thing.  ...?

• 9. Re: MPEG4
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

In very general terms, yes. In very specific terms, it can contain other CODEC's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4

Hope that helps and good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: MPEG4
                            seasport Level 1

Bill,

Thanks.   Bear with my learning curve here (as it may not actually be a curve)

You're clearly advanced at this. I get your point about re-compressing the already compressed (quality loss) in the course of putting together a series of projects for one overall project with a menu (i.e., BluRay disk or HD Apple TV production.)

My GoPro (and some other devices) provides raw MPEG4 on SD card. In some cases I would like to output to MPEG4 as end product not to be re-edited.

When you reply "When one starts with H.264, and outputs to H.264...' it sounded like your telling me H.264 and MPEG4 are synonymous or nearly so.

I guess PE10 does not output a .mpg4 file other than for small device purposes.   Even the 'save as computer file' share option only offers mpg2 as the greyed out default.    Seems  .mov (having used H.264 "advanced" criteria) is the closest.

• 11. Re: MPEG4
                              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                              • 12. Re: MPEG4
                                seasport Level 1

Thanks John.

• 13. Re: MPEG4
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Actually, your Go-Pro does not output a raw file (some professional cameras do though), but instead, uses the H.264 CODEC and wraps that as an MPEG4. The H.264 version of MPEG4 is but a sub-set of MPEG4, but a very popular sub-set, and probably the most common - but it not the ONLY CODEC, that can be wrapped as an MPEG4. Also, and to confuse things a bit, depending on the device that produces the files, MPEG4, or MP4, will not be the ONLY wrapper seen for that H.264 CODEC. Some cameras do H.264, but wrap it as an AVI. Premiere, both Pro and Elements, really have a problem with that format/CODEC combo, but it IS getting more and more common.

For a good starter on file formats as "wrappers," see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

In Reply # 8, I also furnish a link to an article, that will give even more details on CODEC's in general.

When starting with an already compressed file, I then try to keep all intermediate versions as lossless, as is possible, and especially if I will be outputting TO a compressed format at the end of the process, like MPEG-2 DVD, or MP4/MPEG4 w/ H.264 for a DVD-Video, or a BD. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/875797?tstart=0

Good luck, and welcome to the wonderful, but also confusing world of video editing.

Hunt

PS - I find little to be gained by memorizing all the possible CODEC's, and format/CODEC combinations, but instead suggest just getting familiar with the ones that you're using. Almost every quarter, new CODEC's, or new versions of existing CODEC's are introduced, so if you did know everything today, come Dec., some things might well have changed.

• 14. Re: MPEG4
                                    seasport Level 1

Thank you Bill

David Somers

• 15. Re: MPEG4
                                      seasport Level 1

Hey Bill,

Is there a reason PE/10 doesn't allow the creation of a movie using back to back projects  (i.e., .prel / .log instruction files.)?    After all these files basically act a set of instructions guiding the program to link to excerpts of original movie files and soundtracks on a hard drive so they are sequenced properly.   Why couldn't a production continue to render across a series of projects without the need for intermediate files? 

v/r

Dave

• 16. Re: MPEG4
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The PREL defines an entire Project, from start to finish, with everything in between. The PREL files are XML and are really just databases. They start with the setup for the Project, then go to all linked files, and finsish with what is done to each Asset, upon Export/Share. That is the ultimate goal for each Project. This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/477920?tstart=0

Since the info in the PREL starts with the Project's details, they would have to match 100%, and then one would need to extract the info on the links in the other Project, and then strip out all the info on what would done to those Assets as well. Last, one would need to determine where the Assets from the second Project were to be moved to, as the beginning of each Project's Timeline is 00;00;00;00. If one know XML programming, and the exact structure of a PrE PREL, they could probably do this, as the files can be edited in an XML, or a TXT editor. I see it as a lot of work, with potential pitfalls everywhere, and feel that just doing an Export from one Timeline, and Importing that into the other Timeline, is much easier.

Good luck,

Hunt