6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2011 6:50 AM by Steve Grisetti

Installation of Premiere Elements stalls on Mac OS

JVolSN

I am trying to install Premiere Elements 9 on Mac OS 10.6.6.  I have installed Photoshop Elements 9 and Organizer already successfully.

The first times I tried to install Premiere Elements, the Adobe Application Manager program would crash -- I didn't even get to the purple and gray screen that requests your serial number.  After allowing Adobe support to attempt to fix the problem, the technician was able to get it to at least run the installer.  I enter the serial number and my Adobe ID and click "Install."  The "Installation Progress" screen appears and it says "Preparing to install...." but it just keeps the "barber pole" progress bar moving while it says "Total time remaining: Calculating - 0% complete."  Then eventually the DVD just spins down and there's no indication of real disk activity going on.  Has anyone else encountered this problem?  We also tried installing the application using a new user account with admin permissions, with the same results.  I have rebooted multiple times and repaired permissions (nothing interesting turned up) and verified my startup disk (no errors).  Any suggestions would be helpful.  There are no logs even generated by the installer, so I can't use any error messages as clues.

My suspicion is some that some incompatibility has arisen in Mac OS 10.6.6, because I installed the other Adobe applications before upgrading to 10.6.6.

Any suggestions or solutions would be welcomed.

Thanks,

JV

• 1. Re: Installation of Premiere Elements stalls on Mac OS
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It loaded right up on Snow Leopard for me -- and runs almost flawlessly! In fact, this generation of the software, I've moved over to the Mac version from the Windows version.

Don't know why you're experiencing what you are. As we always say, your mileage may vary. Even on a Mac. But I'm really surprised to hear you can't even install it.

Have you tried uninstalling Photoshop Elements and installing Premiere Elements first?

• 2. Re: Installation of Premiere Elements stalls on Mac OS
            nealeh Level 5

Test for a disk or drive fault. Copy the installation disk to your local hard drive and try to install from there.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Installation of Premiere Elements stalls on Mac OS
              JVolSN Level 1

The tech and I tried both those techniques without success. Also I was able to install the software on a different Mac from that disk successfully.

• 4. Re: Installation of Premiere Elements stalls on Mac OS
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                I was able to install the software on a different Mac from that disk successfully.

This sounds like a permissions issue with your particular Mac. Now, I am a PC-only guy, so others will have to step in and talk Mac-speak, but when PrPro has not been installing properly on some Mac's, the trick has been to go to the "security console" and set the rights to full Administrator, reboot, and then one can go back to the previous setting, and install fine. Note: I realize that I mixed a bunch of PC terms in there, so use that only for the concept, not as a tutorial. This is the Mac version of changing the Permissions to Administrator (not just an account with Administrative Privileges, but Full Administrator). The difference, if I understood, is that with the Mac, after that had been set once, it could then be reset and all would be good. Wish that I knew more about Mac's, and that I could have followed along with the threads in the CS5 forum, more closely.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Installation of Premiere Elements stalls on Mac OS
                  JVolSN Level 1

I have solved my problem!

I believe the issue (besides some incompatibility with the version of AAM supplied on the DVD) was that the updated Adobe Application Manager that the technician originally installed was stored in my user home folder, rather than the root volume.  So in addition to deleting the OOBE folder from ~/Library/Adobe, I also deleted it from /Library/Application Support/Adobe.  When I ran the uninstaller for Photoshop Elements, this time it said AAM was missing.  So I then re-installed AAM from the downloaded .dmg file.  At that point I guessed that would ensure the latest AAM was being used, so I went ahead and tried to install Premiere Elements rather than trying to uninstall PSE again.  And this time it worked! One way I knew I was getting past the "stuck" point was that the installer prompted me for my Macintosh's administrative password to allow installation to continue.

For anyone else having this issue here is the link to Adobe Application Manager:

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4774

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions and to Adobe for making an effort to resolve this case.  Now it would be great if Adobe could work on supplying the ALL add-ins and effects available on Windows for the Mac!

--JV

• 6. Re: Installation of Premiere Elements stalls on Mac OS
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Glad to hear you're up and running, JV!

And I would certainly expect Adobe will continue to build out its Mac version in the next generation.