14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2011 2:48 PM by Jim_Simon

Can't see my program monitor move

Toomany3 Level 1

Grr!  Not sure what I did, but I can't see any playback on ANY of my monitors (source, program, multi-cam, etc.).  I've got this white box around the image (see snapshot below).

I can hear the audio, but can't see video moving, just when I stop the video, then I can see the last frame when I click on the program monitor. 

I can't see ANY of my multi-cam monitors now.

It looks like it's some setting that's weird, but I've never seen this before and seem to be stuck.

Any suggestions?

Capture.JPG

• 1. Re: Can't see my program monitor move
          Toomany3 Level 1

It looks like the resizing tool or scale, but I don't have those select (that I can tell).  I'm not trying to rescale the image, just watch good old regular playback.

Not sure if this is relavant, but I can't seem to get playback on my exterial Plasma TV to work as I used to be able to.  No video playback anywhere is working.

• 2. Re: Can't see my program monitor move
            LluisV Level 1

Hi Toomany3,

I had this problem twice, and the cause was i opened windows media player to find a video and left it open with the video file open and in pause.

The video opened in WMP was not the same I was playing in Premiere.

I closed WMP and Premiere started playing video again.

Regards,

Lluís

• 3. Re: Can't see my program monitor move
              Toomany3 Level 1

Very strange.  Thanks Lluis.  This is a step in the right direction.

I just reloaded my project after reboot and tried to load my project.  It loaded fine, but the white box (resizing box?) is still around my video.  Windows Media Player was not opened, just Premiere.  But the moment I tried to do a playback, WMP opened up automatically on some audio podcast I had on my harddrive.  VERY VERY strange!  I didn't even open WMP.

I closed WMP, but the resizing box still remains and I can't see any video playback, however I can now scrub through my clips in the program monitor.  Multicam monitor is still blank.

FWIW, I got a new plasma TV hooked up as a program monitor a few days ago.  I had it as a dedicated monitor for playback.  Everything was working great then, but not any more.  Might have been one of those settings?

• 4. Re: Can't see my program monitor move
                Toomany3 Level 1

HOw in the world can I get rid of that resizing white box????  I've tested the same project out on another computer and it doesn't have the box.

It's some dumb setting I have turned on or off somewhere.  Anyone?!?  Please! 

• 5. Re: Can't see my program monitor move
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

The only way I know of to get that box is to have the Motion effect selected for that clip in the Effects Control Panel.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Can't see my program monitor move
                    Toomany3 Level 1

Thanks.  But I don't have any effects on.  I'm not resizing or doing ANYTHING to any of the clips.  The same project works on other computers.  Just my main edit station seems to have some crazy feature on that I don't know how/where to turn off, or how I even turned it on for that matter.

• 7. Re: Can't see my program monitor move
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

All clips have the Motion effect by default.  There's no way to remove it.  If that effect is 'selected' you get the bounding box.  Deselecting the effect removes the box.

• 8. Re: Can't see my program monitor move
                        Andrey V Level 2

Can you see the cursor of the mouse when you move it closer to the monitor that has resizing grips?

If yes then click under the monitor itself in the same panel bu jut below the preview area, and that should go away.

• 9. Re: Can't see my program monitor move
                          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

To me, it looks like the clips are not precisely matching the sequence settings-so, you've got a bounding box. Try this, drag one of the clips from your Project pane to the New Item button. This will create a sequence that is precisely the same size as your clip. See if the clip plays back smoothly in this new sequence.

• 10. Re: Can't see my program monitor move
                            Toomany3 Level 1

It's definitely the resizing square, but I can't click out of it.  No matter WHERE I click, it's always on.  It's STUCK on.  How do I turn it off?

I'm not a noob with Premiere or anything Adobe.  I work professionally on Premiere/AE/PS full 15 hours a day and have been with Premiere since it was a baby.  I'm baffled by this since neither I, or any of my other editors have ever seen this before OTHER THAN when rescaling.  And it seems like none (few?) of you have seen this before too. 

Is this a bug? 

Now, I've been surprised by things before that were on the tip of my nose and I never knew it, but this has me totally stuck.

Kevin, I tried what you said and it puts the new clip on the program monitor (and new sequence) with the same silly white resizing box.

It's GOT to be some setting that needs to be toggled off since I can open the same project on any other computer and it does its thing as expected.   

• 11. Re: Can't see my program monitor move
                              Toomany3 Level 1

BTW, the motion effect is on as expected, but when I turn off the effect my white box goes away too, HOWEVER the problem of not having any playback remains.

• 12. Re: Can't see my program monitor move
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

That's a separate issue.  At least now the box issue is solved.

Now for playback...

What are the specs of the media clips?

• 13. Re: Can't see my program monitor move
                                  Toomany3 Level 1

It doesn't matter what the specs of the media clips are.  It does it to stills spread over frames, footage from Sony EX1Rs (1080p/29.97 fps) MP4s, Canon 7D  (1080p/29.97 fps) footage, and other footage from a Sony MRC1 recorder on a Canon HV20.

It's not the footage.  I can see it, scrub it, etc.  I just can't get it to play back because the silly white box won't go away--unless I deselect the motion effect, but the ONLY thing that does is get rid of the white box, NOT the playback problem.

Perhaps I should record a screencast of this so it makes more sense.  I'll try getting to that shortly.    

Thanks for your help!!

• 14. Re: Can't see my program monitor move
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

The white box and playback problem are almost certainly two different issues.  One likely has nothing to do with the other.

The box issue has been resolved.  Moving on to the separate playback issue, do you have any straight DV media you can test?