5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2011 6:58 AM by Ned Murphy

Blank SWF???

windows247

Hello,

I installed the BBC Iplayer "adobe air" application just recently, as I wanted to see what the installer contained. when I opened the .exe file the swf  is opened up and displays content. However when I open up the .swf file on it''s own, I am presented with a blank(black) screen. I was wondering if anyone might know how they have achieved this. That is, it appears the swf file is only accessable through the .exe???

Thanks

• 1. Re: Blank SWF???
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is every possibility that the main file ignites the loaded file when it is needed, and it is even possible that the content of the loaded file is entirely dynamic, so it might not display content until it is activated.  There are really too many possibilities to nail it down.  You could try decompiling the swf to see what's in it if you have a decompiler.  You could probably use one on a trial basis just to see what's in the file (they normally won't let you save anything in the trial versions).

• 2. Re: Blank SWF???
            windows247 Level 1

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

I just assumed that the swf file is "independant" of the .exe Are you saying there is a way to detect if the swf is being called from the .exe??? If so how would this be achieved? As I stated above I thought all the content(as3) is in the swf. if so it's independant of where it's being called? From what I can see there is only one swf file being called, maybe this has another swf embedded, but surely you would still be able to just open the swf and have it display?

• 3. Re: Blank SWF???

The exe itself is likely an swf that was saved as an exe. In Flash it is known as a projector file.   swf's can load other swf's and can command them as they need.  So it is completely possible that the swf you see doesn't do anything without being commanded to.  As I said, get a decompiler if you want to see what's in that swf.

• 4. Re: Blank SWF???
                windows247 Level 1

Ok, I went for what you said, 1480 file, 211 folders lol! I have never seen such a large flash project haha, when time permits lol!

>>The exe itself is likely an swf that was saved as an exe. In Flash it is known as a projector file.

Ok I digress slightly sorry!

Is it possible to redistribute the projector file, with the installer? When I tried I get an install error?

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Blank SWF???

I don't know what redistribute means, but if it objects to what you're doing, I'd conclude you can't do it.