6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2011 7:18 AM by Colin Brougham

Adding a clip marker, when the clip is in a sequence

Gazzaspi Level 1

Hi

This is something I think should be quite easy, but I don't think it is.

I have clip on my timeline that I want to add a clip marker to (not a sequence marker) I double click on the clip and it opens in the source monitor,( I see the in and out points of the clip in question.)

I have the CTI in the sequence at exactly the point that i want to add my clip marker. Is there a way I can take the CTI in the source monitor to the same place as the CTI in the sequence to I can add the clip marker?

Hope thats not to confusing

Many thanks

Gary

• 1. Re: Adding a clip marker, when the clip is in a sequence
          Colin Brougham Level 6

This might actually be a bug. It works as you want if the clip isn't already loaded in the Source Monitor, but if the clip is loaded, it simply opens up to the last frame that was viewed.

A workaround would be to clear the Source Monitor's clip list; click the dropdown up where it says "Source:" and select Close All. The double-click will work as you like then.

Note that you can also add a clip marker to a clip when it is in a sequence. You have to have the clip selected, but it will add a clip marker to the clip at the CTI in the sequence. Track targeting doesn't matter here. If there isn't already, you can add a shortcut key for this. Also, note that this will only affect the clip instance used in the sequence; it will not add a marker to the master clip.

I'd file a bug report on the behavior you mentioned, though: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

• 2. Re: Adding a clip marker, when the clip is in a sequence
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I find this behaviour a big pain in the ......having to clear the Source panel every time.

Adobe changed that after Pro 2.

You just had to double click on the clip and the cti was always in the same place in the source panel as the cti in the timeline.

When you hit M you get the cti in the right place but in the clip from the Project Panel. Is no help either.

Filed a bug report some time ago.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Adding a clip marker, when the clip is in a sequence
              Gazzaspi Level 1

Hi again Colin

Thanks, I have been driving myself nuts trying to do this over the last few days. (the clips are sometimes quit long which makes it worse)

You are correct,  close the clip fist in the source monitor, then double click the clip, the CTI's then match exactly. Hooray!

That opening frame is then remember, even clicking on a another clip does not fix it. You have to close the clip in the source monitor, definitely a bug.

When it behaving correctly then it is easy to add a clip marker when the clip is in sequence.

Many thanks for the other tips

Gary

• 4. Re: Adding a clip marker, when the clip is in a sequence
                Gazzaspi Level 1

Hi Ann

Thanks for the tip of M (match frame)

That's a great quick work around, that i would never ever have thought of.

Gary

• 5. Re: Adding a clip marker, when the clip is in a sequence
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Thanks for the tip of M (match frame)

Just a note: that loads the original master clip into the Source Monitor, and not the clip instance that is used in the sequence. This may or not be what you want. If you Match Frame a clip that you're using, and add markers to it or add in/out points, that will not affect what is in your sequence. If you double-click a clip used in a sequence, that loads that instance of the clip into the Source Monitor, where any manipulations you make are done on that instance of the clip, and not the master clip.

You'll notice the difference once you play around with it a bit; just didn't want you to do a bunch of work and then wonder why one thing or another wasn't working quite the way you expected it to.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Adding a clip marker, when the clip is in a sequence
                    Gazzaspi Level 1

Hi again

Yes, I just realized that! Thanks for clarifying so quickly (at least I learnt what M was for)

The only fix for what I want is to clear the source panel.(bit of a pain)

Thank you

Gary