1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 3, 2011 2:25 PM by rdnelson

Premiere Elements Organizer...

Robert Hix

I upgraded to Photoshop and Premier Elements 8.0 last fall just before 9.0 came out.  So far I like almost everything.  The thing I do not like is the linking of the organizer between the two programs.  I did not realize this was happening until I tried to back up the catalog one day in PSE and ran out of room on my drive.  I finally figured out it was because I was trying to back up my pictures and my video too.  I would really prefer these to be kept in separate catalogs.  After all, I am not going to use video in PSE.

Question is this.  Is their any way, short of creating another catalog, to keep my video catalog and my picture catalog separate?

Thanks in advance,

Rob Hix

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements Organizer...
          rdnelson Level 2

Question is this.  Is their any way, short of creating another catalog, to keep my video catalog and my picture catalog separate?

There is no way to have two catalogs and have the Organizer represent them as one.

If backups are a concern, you might want to consider manually backing up your catalog just like you would back up any file(s).  To find out where your catalog is located, click on the Help menu and then System Info from within the Organizer.  Look for the line that says "Catalog Location".  Back up the complete directory and sub-directories.  THIS WILL NOT BACK UP YOUR MEDIA -- just your catalog.

I would recommend locating all your media under a parent directory so you can back the media up easily as well.

I use SyncToy (a free utility from microsoft's web site) to back up my media (and also my catalog).  It copies files from one location to another.  It also keeps track of what has been copied so the next time it will only copy the differences.

I have many years of home videos and photos.  It would be quite a pain to have to back this up each time.  I know that the Organizer has an incremental backup option but I would prefer the manual catalog backup and SyncToy option because the resulting directory structure remains the same.

Also, please be aware that once the catalog location is established, it cannot be moved -- even from within the Organizer or restoring from a backup made within the Organizer.  The catalog stores the absolute location to scene analysis files.  SmartFix will fail if the catalog is moved or restored to a different location.

Also, you may consider backing up your media cache directories.