• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Targeting the main timeline from within a MC

New Here ,
Feb 03, 2011 Feb 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, I have this project that will basically work like a slideshow. I am trying to do things the right way and avoid scenes so I am building each slide as a separate mc and then placing them on the main timeline. What I'm trying to do is get the playback head to advance to the next frame on the main timeline once the mc reaches its last frame. I have found code that works but it seems pretty ghetto:

var _root:MovieClip = MovieClip(root)

stage.addEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, text2);
function text2 (myevent:Event):void {
_root.gotoAndStop("slide2");
}

I guess I have two basic questions:

1. What is the proper way to target a frame on the main timeline from within a mc in as3?

2. Does the way I'm building this make sense or is there a better solution?

Thanks for reading!

TOPICS
ActionScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 03, 2011 Feb 03, 2011

That code is an accident waiting to happen.  An ENTER_FRAME event fires repeatedly, at the frame rate of the file.  It does not mean what it sounds like...such as..."when something enters a frame"  All you would need in place of that code is to put the following line in the last frame of the mc...

MovieClip(root).gotoAndStop("slide2");

Since you asked about "proper"... children should not talk back to their parent and tell them what to do.  The good news is they should be independent and only worr

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That code is an accident waiting to happen.  An ENTER_FRAME event fires repeatedly, at the frame rate of the file.  It does not mean what it sounds like...such as..."when something enters a frame"  All you would need in place of that code is to put the following line in the last frame of the mc...

MovieClip(root).gotoAndStop("slide2");

Since you asked about "proper"... children should not talk back to their parent and tell them what to do.  The good news is they should be independent and only worry about doing what they do. It's up to the parent to keep an eye on the children if they are so inclined.  The only thing the child should do is let the world know when they are done doing it.  This is done by dispatching an event.

So what you do is set up the child to dispatch an event to indicate they are done doing what they do (in the last frame in your case).

dispatchEvent(new Event("imDone"));

and set up a listener for that child object in the parent timeline for the parent to listen for that event...

childName.addEventListener("imDone", eventHandler);

function eventHandler(event:Event):void {
         gotoAndStop("slide2");
     }

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ned, you're a genious!

I learned more about flash from your post than I did in four hours digging through forums. I owe ya a steak dinner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Medium rare works well for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok follow up question. I made a play/pause button for this project and I have managed to get it to target either the main timeline or a nested MC. The problem is with the code I have is that the button will only work for one MC at a time. This means I will need a separate play/pause button for each individual slide. Is there some way to make a button that globally starts and stops any MC without effecting the main timeline?

Here is the code I am using now:

stop();

pause_btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, stopplaying);
function stopplaying(event:MouseEvent):void {
    MovieClip(parent).green.stop();
    gotoAndStop(2);
}

Thanks for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way would be to have whatever movieclip is playing assign itself to a variable when it starts playing and use that variable to target the movievlip in the event handler function instead of a particular instance.

If you have new questions you should start new postings... postings with 0 replies draw attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2011 Feb 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How would I write that? I'm a little confused because I don't know how to deal with two event listeners. Here is the code I have that is obviously wrong:

stop();

addEventListener("imHere");

play_btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, stopplaying);
function stopplaying(event:MouseEvent):void {
    "imHere".stop();
    gotoAndStop(2);
}

I hear you on that double post thing - I didn't want to clutter the forum with my simple questions. Thanks again for all your help and sorry for the dumb questions - I'm far from a developer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines