14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2011 1:21 PM by saseveschmersa

Audio out of sync inEdited MPG files

saseveschmersa Level 1

Hi, everyone.  I am using PE 8.0 and have been trying to edit MPG files captured with a HAVA device (similar to a slingbox).  It connected to my cable box and creates MPGs much like a DVR.  These MPGs are 720x480 pixels, aspect 4:3, 29.97 fps, NTSC, audio 384 Kbps, 2channel, 48.0 Khz.  I had been using another vdeeo editor (Pinnacle VS 12.0) but experienced a problem where the compiled video on DVD had audio out of sync with the video.  The video starts out OK but as the DVD played it became more and more out of sync.  I bought Premiere Elements 8 to se if it could do better - but I experience the same problem.

What I am doing is capturing files, like a movie, from the TV and then editing out the commercials and burning to DVD.  In PE8, I create a new project and select Hard Disk/camcorder option.  Then I use the get media to bring my MPG into the organizer, then drag it to the timeline.  I then run through the video using the razor to clip before and after the commercials.  I then delete the commercials and share it to DVD.  The resulting DVD experiences the sync issues with the audio.

I read somewhere that the problem was the MPG being compressed, and that I should recode it to AVI first, then edit the AVI file.  I tried that but experienced sync issues here as well.

So my main question is how to eliminate the audio sync issues with the edited video.  I also would be interested in ways to get rid of the commecials in a simpler fashion.

My systyem info is as follows:

Dell  Dimension E521

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (Windsor, 3.0 GHz, dual core)

4GB of DDR2 Dual Channel 200MHz

NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT (1gb memory)

SigmaTel HD Audio Codec,

Windows System Assessment: CPU=5.4; Memory=5.9; Graphics=5.0;Disk=5.4

WD SCSI Disk – 250gb; C partition=125gb, 70gb free

Swap File – 4.5gb, fixed, separate partition

Vista Home Premium SP2 all updates

Adobe PE8.0

Thanks

• 1. Re: Audio out of sync inEdited MPG files
          nealeh Level 5

The free VirtualDub can cut out segments without re-encoding. When you use PRE it will always re-encode, which reduces the quality a little.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Audio out of sync inEdited MPG files
            saseveschmersa Level 1

Neale,

Thanks for the suggestion. I downloaded Virtualdub and tried it - but it will not import my file, it says it is an MPEG-2 stream. I was hoping for a solution in PE8.

end/saseve

• 3. Re: Audio out of sync inEdited MPG files
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Adobe's NLE (Non Linear Editing) programs, as well as many others, have issues with MPEG AV files, regarding sync. One of the reasons is that the block size of the Video encoding is different than that of the Audio. This can lead to dynamic OOS (Out Of Sync).

Neale has addressed the MPEG step already, but to get the best sync, I would look into ripping the MPEG Audio with a program, like the free Audacity, and then doing a Save_As PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit, Importing that into PrE and Muting the muxed Audio stream, or Deleting it.

If you unit will allow for direct DV-AVI recording, then you will very likely have no issues. If you must use MPEG-2, I'd go Neale's route.

Now, I do use a converter program, DigitalMedia Converter 2.7, and it does a good conversion to DV-AVI. It is not freeware, and has also been updated to a new version, that I have not tried yet. Some people like one converter, over others, and not all do as good a job, especially with MPEG Audio.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Audio out of sync inEdited MPG files
                saseveschmersa Level 1

Thanks Hunt.  Do you have any idea why Virtualdub will not read my mpg file?  I get a VirtualDub eror box that says,"MPEG Import Filter: invalid pack at position3: marker bit not set; possibly MPEG-2 stream".

• 5. Re: Audio out of sync inEdited MPG files
                  nealeh Level 5

That SigmaTel audio looks to be quite an old product. What driver version does it have? I found this for Vista: http://download.cnet.com/SigmaTel-High-Definition-Audio-CODEC/3000-2110_4-173629.html. If it is newer than your installed version it may be worthwhile installing it (create a system restore point first).

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: Audio out of sync inEdited MPG files
                    nealeh Level 5

Actually, rather than just demuxing the audio, load your mpg file and use Share> Computer> AVI to convert the whole file to DV-AVI before any editing. You can then create a new NTSC DV Standard project, load your converted file and then start your editing, which should be trouble free. Though if the DV-AVI file has sync problems before making any cuts the source mpg file may not be 100% standards compliant.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Audio out of sync inEdited MPG files
                      saseveschmersa Level 1

Neale,

I am using codec 6.10.0.5511 - still the only one Dell lists for my machine.  I don't think this is the problem, because the same thing happens on my new Toshiba laptop - with 1gb video, i7 quad processor and up to date audio capabilities - it is only 2 months old.  I will try your other suggestion, although I think I already tried it once but am not sure.  I'll post back after I have tried the AVI-DV route.  I am still working with VirtualDub, but I keep running out of diskspace.  My 5.2 gb MPEG-2 file wants to generate a 150 gb AVI file in VirtualDub for some reason.

end/saseve

• 8. Re: Audio out of sync inEdited MPG files
                        saseveschmersa Level 1

OK, I tried the converting to AVI in PE8.  The converted AVI has the audio waaaaaay OOS with the video.  I also tried Virtusdub, but to convert my 5.4gb MPEG-2 to AVI will take over 350gb and I don't have that much space on my drive.  Is there a converter (free or otherwise) that will convert the MPEG-2 into something PE8 can handle without the OOS?

Thanks,

end/saseve

• 9. Re: Audio out of sync inEdited MPG files
                          Steve Grisetti-JFIrXo Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Have you tried using MPEG Streamclip, per the FAQs to the right of this forum?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 10. Re: Audio out of sync inEdited MPG files
                            saseveschmersa Level 1

Steve,

Thanks.  Yes, I installed MPEG Streamclip, with the MPEG-2 filter, and have tried it.  I open the MPEG-2 file and simply export to AVI.  The exported AVI has audio OOS issues as before.  The original MPEG-2 plays fine.  I am recording a smaller clip, 5-10 min, and will play with it.  Do you know where I can find some instructions on using MPEG Streamclip?  I am sort of a novice at this and it is a little bewildering!

Thanks,

end/saseve

• 11. Re: Audio out of sync inEdited MPG files
                              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Instructions for MPEG Streamclip -- including the precise settings to use to create a DV-AVI -- are in the article I linked you to above.

• 12. Re: Audio out of sync inEdited MPG files
                                saseveschmersa Level 1

Hello all.  Thanks to all those who took the time to reply to me and offer helpful suggestions.  Over the last 4-5 days I have installed and tried many different utilities and programs to resolve my problem.  In the end, I purchased a copy of VideoRedo TV Suite v4.  It handled all the audio sync problems marvelously and also allows me to create my DVDs without using any other program.  I was not previously aware that PE8 did not handle MPEG-2 files very well due to the compression - I had beenmostly using it for DV files from my camcorder and it worked great.  I am now capturinglots of programming off the television and all my captures are in MPEG-2.  A side benefit of the VideoRedo is thatit will automatically identify commercials and allow me to take them out before burning to a Video_TS folder.  Womble also makes a fine product that will fix the audio stream that only costs $19, but I decided to go with a suite.  A final note, even with an MPEG-2 file that has the audio stream corrected, PE8 plays with an OOS issue.

Again, thanks to all for the help and instruction!

end/saseve

• 13. Re: Audio out of sync inEdited MPG files
                                  nealeh Level 5

Out of interest did you trial AVS Video Remaker as well? If so what did you think of it?

Cheers,
                                  --
                                  Neale

• 14. Re: Audio out of sync inEdited MPG files
                                    saseveschmersa Level 1

Neale,  No, I didn't try that one.  I tried Mpg2Cut2, gopchop, cuttermaran, Womble Mpeg video wizard dvd 5.0, Super, DVDFab, Mpeg-Streamclip, VirtualDub, Imago-mpeg-muxer, mpeg2repair and a host of encoders.  I think a combination of these might have done what I needed, but it was very time-consuming.  I took the easy way out and bought something easy for me to use....

end/saseve