15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2011 12:54 AM by Bob Dix Photographer

Running low on system memory (PE8)

Argh Blargh Level 1

Hi all

I recently started getting the "Premiere Elements is running low on system memory, please save your work and proceed with caution" message in PE8. I have read tons of topics and websites about the problem and tried every solution that was described in them. I'm not really expecting a solution, only some sympathy

What I'm doing:

I'm from Belgium in Europe and I did a month long trip on Route 66 last year, together with a friend. Now I'm in the middle of making a road movie out of our footage. The clips were shot with a Samsung camcorder using the MP4 container. GSpot tells me it's using an avc1 H.264/MPEG-4 AVC codec.

I started using these files without thinking, even though 1 minute of footage is approximately 100 MB large. That worked quite okay, but now I'm about 25 minutes into my montage and I'm getting an increased number of the "running low on system memory" message, at the point where they pop up after about a minute's work.

What I tried:

Then I converted all the used video files using WinFF, into MP4 files with more compression, making the files about six times smaller in size. Now, when I open up PE8 and the interface is loaded, I immediately get the "running low on system memory" message, probably because PE8 is conforming the clips again. Because that didn't work, I put the original files back in place, but as expected that gave the same result. Now PE8 crashed when I try to do anything.

Before I start working, I make sure all other programs and their corresponding processes are shut down, so the computer has little else to do than keep me from being frustrated

My system:

I'm running PE8 under Windows 7 Ultimate. I have an AMD Phenom 8600B triple core processor with 3 GB of RAM and one hard drive, divided into two partitions with 135 GB free on the disk where my movie clips and project file are. I moved the scratch disks in PE8 to an external hard drive that's connected through USB 3.0. I upped my virtual memory, the paging file is now 7070 MB large, with the custom size set initially to 4000 MB and a max size of 6000 MB.

Last words:

I'm guessing PE8 is now crashing because it has too much to do reconforming all video and that I probably will be fine if I convert the clips first, and then start using them in PE. I will do that for the rest of my movie but I don't want to redo those first 25 minutes, because they almost literally cost me blood, sweat and tears.

What I want:

A listening ear, a pat on the back and maybe the one solution that hasn't been uttered anywhere on the internet yet and somehow manages to rid me of all frustration

• 1. Re: Running low on system memory (PE8)
          the_wine_snob Level 9

System Resources are a multi-part item. It refers to the physical RAM on the system, CPU cycles, and even the Windows Virtual Memory, i.e. the Page File. These can all be affected by other programs, or processes running, the utilization of the system RAM, and even by HDD's that are filling up, especially if the Page File, or the Scratch Disks are located there.

This ARTICLE will give you some tips on setting up your computer for a video-editing session. Be sure to see the Win7 Tune Up Tips and link to Black Viper's Web site. A new MS Win7 tune up link has just been added. If your Win7 is 64-bit, I would strongly consider filling up the MoBo with all the RAM that you can use.

This ARTICLE will give you some background on the Page File.

The action of Conforming and Indexing is a one-time deal. Now, having to process the files for editing is not, and I believe that is what you are referring to, when you mention conforming. Just in case, this ARTICLE will give you some background on Conforming.

Good luck with the Project, as one who lives not THAT far off of Rt-66, and has driven many stretches of it over time.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Running low on system memory (PE8)
            nealeh Level 5
            • What Project Preset are you using?
            • PRE doesn't natively edit  AVC so you will have a red line running across the timeline. Press [Enter] to create a temporary render of the project.
            • Please post a screen image of that GSpot analysis.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Running low on system memory (PE8)
              ABC_Digital Level 1

Same problem here, different circumstances: I can render and create an mpeg file of a 50 minute video, NTSC, DVD widescreen, standard preset.  PE9 creates the file very nicely, perfectly, about 2½ GB in size.  No problem.  If I try to create a flash file, same video, FLV web large, NTSC widescreen source, I get the "running low on system memory" message.  Everytime.

System is i7 x980 with 24 GB RAM (!) 1.25 TB free on C: drive, 132 GB free on scratch drive and I let windows 7 Enterprise manage the swapfile at 24 GB. All drives are internal.  The maximum RAM used during the flash create process is about 6½ GB, over 17 GB remains unused.  No other applications are running at this time.  Anti-virus shut off.

'tis a puzzlement.  Any ideas?  I haven't tried FLV web medium, but, come on, 24 Gigs?  RAM is check monthly as are drives and both pass all checks.

• 4. Re: Running low on system memory (PE8)
                ABC_Digital Level 1

I completed a trial with FLV web medium, NTSC widescreen and it created the video perfectly, albeit a small screen version.  I then tried again with FLV web large, NTSC widescreen source and the same "running low on system memory" message.

?

Any ideas are welcome.

• 5. Re: Running low on system memory (PE8)
                  nealeh Level 5

Do you have any still pictures in this project? If so what pixel size are they?

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: Running low on system memory (PE8)
                    ABC_Digital Level 1

Neale,

There is a green-screen video (video2) with a still picture background (as video1) that runs through the entire video.  The still is 720 px high by 800 px wide.

Again, creating the mpeg in for DVD widescreen, no problem.  FLV web medium, no problem.  FLV web large - memory problems.  When creating FLV web large, RAM usage never goes above 6½ to 7 GB.  No other apps running, anti-virus shut down. 

Maybe PE9 can't use all 24 GB?  As a 32-bit app, I guess it can't. 

Photoshop works well, at least.

ABC

• 7. Re: Running low on system memory (PE8)
                      nealeh Level 5

That's an unusual still image size for video. As an experiment remove it and see if you can then create your large FLV. You are correct about the memory usage - PRE being a 32-bit application cannot use much more than 3.5GB.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: Running low on system memory (PE8)
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

My guess would be that the FLV Large is requiring more resources, than your system is capable of providing. With good specs., this is more likely other programs and processes stealing the resources. Above, I linked ot several articles on ways to address those resource thieves.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Running low on system memory (PE8)
                          ABC_Digital Level 1

Thank you, Bill.  Question: because PE9 is 32-bit, it can only address 3½ GB of RAM?  Think that is the problem?  As a rule, I don't think about resources because of the 24 GB available.  If only 3½ are available, that's another matter and I'll go back and look at all the little memory thieves and kill them whenever possible.

Thanks!

ABC

www.ABC-Digital-Art.com

• 10. Re: Running low on system memory (PE8)
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, the 32-bit program will have the limitation, but with a well-tuned system, offering the max possible resources available to it, it should not have any issues. I'd look closely, to see what might be using resources from PrE.

Even with workstations, a 64-bit OS and PrPro CS5, which is full 64-bit, some users have still run into bottlenecks, due to other programs, and processes, running and stealing resources. Tuning up the OS, and then setting up for an editing session usually eliminates all resource issues.

As an example, on my laptop, or my workstation, while both are on XP-Pro SP3 (32-bit) with the 4GB RAM limit, I can run PrPro, AE, Encore, and Photoshop, and still Export to any format (using SD Projects, as that is what I work in), and never have a resource issue, or error. Now, while editing, I only use those Adobe programs (with the possible exception of also having WordPerfect open, if I am doing a lot of Titles). I have everything else turned OFF, and have my system as clean as I can keep it. This ARTICLE gives some tips, plus also some links to Win7 tune up, via Black Viper's Web site. When doing a tune up, MSCONFIG, Process Explorer, or the less full-functioned Task Manager>Processes, will be very, very helpful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Running low on system memory (PE8)
                              ABC_Digital Level 1

Thank you, Bill, but I need your help with some clarification.  When opening a 32-bit program in a 64-bit workspace, how much memory is allocated to that application?  2 GB or about 3½ GB?  Isn't that memory dedicated to that application?  Does each 32-bit app receive its own chunk of memory?  There is still all the other memory available for other processes and filigree, right?  Or is only one chunk of memory dedicated to all 32-bit applications and that must be allocated to the various competing needs, in which case there are many processes running that do take up memory.

Thanks!

ABC

www.ABC-Digital-Art.com

• 12. Re: Running low on system memory (PE8)
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

So very much depends on how you have set up the OS to allocate the RAM. One can also set the priority of each program, so for instance, PrE could be set higher than other programs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Running low on system memory (PE8)
                                  Argh Blargh Level 1

For what it's worth: my problem was solved by borrowing a pc with a hexacore processor and loads of RAM, running with as few programs as possible. As expected I dread the day that 3D filming will be common, right after I bought a pc that's optimized for HD montage...

• 14. Re: Running low on system memory (PE8)
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Take a look at Harm's suggestion for a "serious" NLE computer, in this THREAD. That will be about the minimum for 3D.

For some thoughts on 3D, see the links in this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Running low on system memory (PE8)
                                      Bob Dix Photographer Level 2

3-D started in the mid 50's

when I was a projectionist, it will die again untill they get rid of the

glasses. even a Sony I viewed lately was poor and the head

glasses , gave you a headache.

The cinema was like looking through muddy glasses.

Let's face it with the technology we have these days the glasses are a NO, NO. .